PDA

View Full Version : Potential new employer - need help :P

Dumbass17
10-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Alright gents,
I have a potential job interview in Kamloops and I was hoping you guys could provide some insight/guidance...
The guy I've been speaking with seems like a good guy and we finished our conversation on Friday with the idea that I would look into when I could head to Kamloops for a face to face interview. We didn't really say when it would happen but the sooner the better. We also didn't discuss who would pay for the trip out there. With that being said,.I would like to email him a few questions today in hopes to clarify a few things so that both his and my time are not wasted...

1) How do i ask him who would pay for the trip?

2) How can I approach him in terms of salary. If the offer they were to give me is way lower (which I expect it would be, seeing as how it's BC) I don't think I could take the job offer. Any suggestions how I can approach this safely via email?

3) I would like to know the benefits, is this a safe topic to ask via email or would this be something I would have to wait for pending an offer letter?

4) The position would require a vehicle, is it ok to ask him if one is provided or if not, how I am compensated for using my own

5) Hours worked - If there is no work available/I don't work, am I still paid for 40hrs a week or it ?

6) Vacation / sick days - how much would I get

And anything else you guys thing I should possibly ask. It sounds like a decent job, but like I said, I don't want to waste anyones time.

Thanks in advance

Stephen81
10-19-2014, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't bother asking the first question until you have answers to the questions below it...they seem like some pretty fundamental aspects of whether you'd want to take the next step and go to Kamloops for the interview, correct?

tch7
10-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Start off saying how wonderful he/the company/the position are and remind him why he needs a dumbass, then ask the following:

2) "What is the salary range for this position?"

3+5+6) "Is this a full time salaried position with benefits? What are typical work hours, and do they fluctuate?"

4) "Does the company provide a vehicle?"

You'd need to wait for an offer before they'd get into specifics, as it's an area for negotiation, but answers to the above questions should be enough to know if you want to pursue it further. I'd suggest throwing in some questions that aren't pay-related as well, even if you don't really care about the answer.

After you receive a response to the above, then ask, if needed:
1) "How will you be reimbursing me for travel expenses to the interview?"
Unless you've been chasing after this opportunity or it's something low paying, it's the norm that they would cover it.

leftwing
10-19-2014, 04:37 PM
What I think I would do is:

Call the employer (guy you have been talking to) and tell him you have a few questions you would like to clear up before proceeding to the next step (travelling to Kamloops). Ask him if you could either send him an email containing the questions as you would like a paper trail/ hard copy of the answers or if he would rather answer the questions over the phone and you can take notes. Over the phone may be better as your questions could spark conversation and you may get more detailed answers and/or answers to other questions as well.

After you have all the answers to the salary range, benefits, schedule etc. and you have decided that you want to pursue the interview, then you can ask if can expect to be reimbursed for your travel costs.

Do you mind me asking what type of job this is for?

Dumbass17
10-21-2014, 05:55 PM
thanks guys
i sent off an email sunday night. no reply as of tuesday.....hmmm

ExtraSlow
10-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Don't be put off by a couple days wait.

theken
10-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Why would you be compensated for an interview? If it is your choice for a job in Kamloops when you live here that is your choice. Unless they called you and asked you to come out for an interview

GTS4tw
10-21-2014, 10:50 PM
This happens a lot out here, people from all across Canada send resumes because they want to live in BC....but want an Alberta wage. Good luck with that. And you pay your own way to an interview. If this is in any way related to trades or construction then be prepared for a slow winter now and then. Keep in mind that every job ad posted here gets ~300 resumes. There is lots of work, but tons of competition keeps the wages low and the benefits lower.

HiTempguy1
10-22-2014, 07:48 AM
I've always been compensated for every job I've interviewed for outside of the city I lived in.

If they want you as an employee, they should treat you as one, if they don't, you are just another resume off the pile.

At least 50C/km if you are driving, plus a stipend for food (and hotel paid), or flights paid there and back (which are stupid cheap)... Of course, if you WANT the job or WANT the location, then suck it up and pay yourself :dunno: I've never thought of moving to a place where there may be less demand for work, seems risky unless the job is one that should turn into a career.

Even a construction job... At the end of the day, the employees are who make the owners money, not the other way around. If you are a valuable person to employ, they should be willing to express the value they see in you. Otherwise, you are just another cog in the wheel to them, why not waste your time and your money?

GTS4tw
10-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I've always been compensated for every job I've interviewed for outside of the city I lived in.

If they want you as an employee, they should treat you as one, if they don't, you are just another resume off the pile.

At least 50C/km if you are driving, plus a stipend for food (and hotel paid), or flights paid there and back (which are stupid cheap)... Of course, if you WANT the job or WANT the location, then suck it up and pay yourself :dunno: I've never thought of moving to a place where there may be less demand for work, seems risky unless the job is one that should turn into a career.

Even a construction job... At the end of the day, the employees are who make the owners money, not the other way around. If you are a valuable person to employ, they should be willing to express the value they see in you. Otherwise, you are just another cog in the wheel to them, why not waste your time and your money?

I would agree with all this if I lived in the richest place in Canada that was dying for skilled workers. None of that applies to the brokanagan.

mr2mike
10-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Yep, from what I have heard and experienced, BC is a different cat than Ont or Ab. They don't bring you in on their dime. They expect you're 80% after a job there because you love BC's magestic forest, lakes and seas.

Follow up with a phone call if you haven't heard back by now. Working at companies that are hiring, it's not #1 priority to get back to a potential employee even if he's spectacular and at the top of the list.

Dumbass17
10-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys.
He emailed me back today.

To summarize. Overtime is paid as straight time and they don't allow banking of hours, other than a few hours here and there at the max (I don't like this. my current employer lets us bank anywhere between 240-640hrs and then any hours over this are paid out at a 1.5x rate)

If I have no work, I'm still paid 40hours.

They have two company vehicles but If they are booked and I have to use my own, i get 60cents/kms and living out expenses are covered.

Benefits seem pretty average.

Now the kicker, the salary is $24,400 - 28000/year lower than what I currently make.

Since I haven't spent any time in Kamloops and, well, to be honest, kind of blanketed my resume out around BC. I will not be pursuing this position as it's not something I am all too keen for anyways.

I will phone him for a thank you.

If anyone wants to know more about this opening, PM me :P

ExtraSlow
10-22-2014, 03:21 PM
I think most jobs in the nice parts of BC will be 25-50% less than similar jobs in alberta.

Dumbass17
10-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I think most jobs in the nice parts of BC will be 25-50% less than similar jobs in alberta.
Probably.
But yeah, i wasn't too keen on the job anyways but never hurt to ask all the information i did. and i'm glad i did!