PDA

View Full Version : DT power outage - are you getting paid?

IggyB
10-19-2014, 06:35 PM
So last week the power was out in a big chunk of downtown.

We were finally called back to the office for Friday.

Thought I'd find out if you were paid for the days that the office was closed due to outage.

I would imagine those on contract are SOL.

What about hourly and salary employees? Are you charging to overhead, vacation, banked time, putting in 0 hours or what?

Any idea what the labour code (?) says?

leftwing
10-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Last year during the flood I was paid regularly as a salaried employee as if I was in the office despite our whole office having to work from home as best we could. Although as soon as I found out the office was closed for the week I jetted off to Vegas.

No idea what the labor code says. I bet you could look it up though.

I think companies can buy insurance for stuff along the lines of this; "Business Interruption Insurance". It covers the loss of income a business suffers due to an event that closes or disrupts the business temporarily. It would probably cover paying the salaries of employees.

lasimmon
10-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Salaried and got paid. Company had insurance for it. This was during the flood.

Sugarphreak
10-19-2014, 09:53 PM

eblend
10-19-2014, 10:25 PM
No interruptions for me due to this power outage, but last year with the floods everyone got paid at my place, at least the salaried people.

I left for Jamaica that whole week, so to me there was no flood :D

HiTempguy1
10-20-2014, 12:01 AM
I can't see how they could not pay you if you are a salaried employee? That'd be the f&%king day I used my banked ot or vacation time to pay myself!

Feruk
10-20-2014, 08:25 AM
I was off during the flood last year and off this year because of the power thing. I'm salaried and will be paid for both.

nickyh
10-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I worked from home during the floods last year, got paid.
Those who were unable to work remotely, still got paid. Floods were more of an act of god instance though whereas the power outage may not fall under that classification.

killramos
10-20-2014, 09:24 AM
During the flood i just went home and waited for news on the company phone. (which died as our server room got shut down as the UPS in the basement was flooded). Salaried employee i still got paid.

We kept drilling during the outage, field ops communicated by Hotmail mostly. There was plenty of extra work to do when i got back so it balances...

SmAcKpOo
10-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Company I worked for last year during the floods forced all non-essential personnel to take a week's vacation. Salaried essential personnel (myself) were paid.

Zhariak
10-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Just curious, wouldn't it be illegal for a company to force salary employees to use vacation time?

killramos
10-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Just curious, wouldn't it be illegal for a company to force salary employees to use vacation time?

Almost certainly but how many labour laws are regularly violated these days.

Might have been the lesser of not being paid for a week for minimum wage type jobs or something (coffee house etc.)

clem24
10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Fucking power outage hit at my busiest time. I worked more hours at home than if I had been in the office.