PDA

View Full Version : So, I screwed up my wife's brake job yesterday...

ZMan2k2
10-21-2014, 12:28 PM
She has a '99 Toyota 4Runner. I looked around the first caliper, that I had to take off, and saw 4 bolts. Thinking these were what held the caliper to the knuckle, I pulled them out. I was wrong. These 4 bolts keep the caliper together. After undoing them, brake fluid started running out. I quickly put them back in, realizing my mistake, but let air into the system. My question is twofold. One, is there a gasket in there that I may have damaged, and to fix the air problem, do I just have to bleed the one side?

ryder_23
10-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
She has a '99 Toyota 4Runner. I looked around the first caliper, that I had to take off, and saw 4 bolts. Thinking these were what held the caliper to the knuckle, I pulled them out. I was wrong. These 4 bolts keep the caliper together. After undoing them, brake fluid started running out. I quickly put them back in, realizing my mistake, but let air into the system. My question is twofold. One, is there a gasket in there that I may have damaged, and to fix the air problem, do I just have to bleed the one side?

same 99 4Runner as yourself? Worked on the same car years ago. I know of 4 bolts, but not the ones that leak fluid.

only gasket I can think of would be attached from your hydraulic line, other than that calliper should be a sealed unit. So if its leaking from the piston bolts, just get calliper replaced.

rage2
10-21-2014, 12:40 PM
The alibi thread. Well played.

mr2mike
10-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Two bolts hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle.
Two bolts hold the caliper to the caliper bracket.

You unbolted the banjo bolt with the brake line running to it.
Yes, there's air in the system. You can just bleed the one side as the air in the line should be local unless you started pumping brakes or you let the master cylinder go dry as you attempted to bleed. Then a whole system bleed is needed.

There's no gasket on the banjo bolt. It'll be two copper rings on either side of the banjo bolt. Most re use these and you'll be fine. DON'T over torque them. Break the banjo bolt and you're in for a world of hate to get the rest out of the caliper.

Hallowed_point
10-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
TDON'T over torque them. Break the banjo bolt and you're in for a world of hate to get the rest out of the caliper.

:hitit: listen to this man..different vehicle but I over torqued the banjo bolt on a rear caliper and it sucked. Could've been worse, but still. Less is more if you don't have a torque wrench. Don't go He-Man.

ZMan2k2
10-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys. So just a bleed on that side. Shouldn't be a problem.

Adrenaline101
10-21-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't believe he is talking about having undone the banjo bolt. If his front calipers are like my tundras they will be a 2 piece 4 piston caliper that bolts together and splits in the middle.
I am unsure of what they are sealed with but you may have gotten lucky and may get away with just doing a brake bleed. Get it clean and monitor for leaks while doing some test applications, and for god sakes don't stare right at the split in the caliper in case the seal is broken, lol

ZMan2k2
10-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Yes, they seem to be two piece calipers. I'll test it out when someone comes home. But there doesn't seem to be any leaks. I was quick about it.

ZMan2k2
10-21-2014, 03:19 PM
I did run the vehicle and test the brakes, that's how I know there's air in the system. Do I still only need to bleed the one caliper.

*edit* Just bled the one caliper, and road tested the brakes. Much better now. There's some serious grab with them now. Thanks all. Guess I don't need the alibi thread, right rage?:D

sxtasy
10-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it depend on how far the caliper is from the master cylinder? Ie. calipers farthest from the cylinder need to be bled first, then all calipers closer to the cylinder bled after in order?

ZMan2k2
10-22-2014, 06:08 AM
That's if you're changing fluid, AFAIK. This was a localized event, with air put in the system by me, because I screwed up. Thus, bleeding the one caliper was enough.