PDA

View Full Version : SW Ring Road: Lakeview residents oppose everything

kenny
10-23-2014, 01:17 PM
When it was proposed that the ring road cut through Lakeview, residents opposed the teardown of hundreds of homes. Now, with the new proposal that goes around Lakeview sparing the homes, they're opposed to that route too.

This is what happens when you give everyone a voice.

tl;dr:
Ring road through lakeview? No! because humans.
Ring road around lakeview? No! because animals.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Residents+express+concerns+over+ring+road+plans/10316172/story.html

BerserkerCatSplat
10-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Humans can move habitats easier than animals, so I support the pave-Lakeview initiative. ;)

CapnCrunch
10-23-2014, 01:51 PM
I agree with them. How else are those bears and coyotes supposed to get into the city?

rage2
10-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Fuck this highway haha.

benyl
10-23-2014, 01:54 PM
I was hoping they would just build the west side. I could careless if they build the SW part. Maybe the Lakeview residents can stop it!

speedog
10-23-2014, 01:57 PM
What's laughable about all of this is where the west ring road is supposed to go, the terrain has probably always been like it is there right now - the Weaselhead area is actually to the east of the ring road. If you've ever driven on Grey Eagle Drive through the reserve, you can easily see what I speak of.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Let's build it ABOVE Lakeview, on 10 meter tall platforms built on existing roads, so no one has to move. Everyone wins!

I do agree with the bottom of the article though. 90th should be left alone, South Glenmore Park is really nice area to walk around, and turning it into an artery would be a shame.

killramos
10-23-2014, 02:42 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WQ1KAreYDNQ/UdDZ62m0WHI/AAAAAAAABbw/xp74LkYdgFo/s1600/Simpsons+-+Highway+Project.jpg

kertejud2
10-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I was hoping they would just build the west side. I could careless if they build the SW part. Maybe the Lakeview residents can stop it!

Amen. Would be the only good thing those NIMBYs have ever done, but it'd be a good one.

kenny
10-23-2014, 02:54 PM

Although if only one section were built, it'd be the SW part since the West side isn't really needed Sarcee can act as the ring road in the interim.

clem24
10-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Meh... This was from the open house and one of the principal planners (I think) gave an interview. Basically, he said, "if we can accommodate the changes easily, we'll do it. If we can't, well, TS."

LOL pretty much they're just doing this as a last round of goodwill. Designs and plans are pretty much finalized as far as I understood it.

benyl
10-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Put an overpass at Bow and Sarcee and you don't have to build anything.

icky2unk
10-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Put an overpass at Bow and Sarcee and you don't have to build anything.

I am eagerly awaiting this

CanmoreOrLess
10-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Private Jetpacks for all... highways are so yesterday. As long as the Lakeview DQ remains, they can level the entire area.

schocker
10-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Lake view are the druh's of calgary neighbourhoods?

g-m
10-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Put an overpass at Bow and Sarcee and you don't have to build anything. I couldn't believe it when they did a major upgrade a few years back that was NOT an overpass.

kenny
10-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by g-m
I couldn't believe it when they did a major upgrade a few years back that was NOT an overpass.

Bow and Sarcee interchange was planned to be done at same time as West LRT but I've read it was canned for:

1. Budget
2. Pootmans didn't want big traffic nightmare

Not sure which one is true, or if its both. What a shame haha.

cet
10-24-2014, 11:17 AM
^ I heard the same thing, that it was canceled because the councilor at the time didn't want both under construction at the same time because of traffic.

msommers
10-24-2014, 11:45 AM
So does the entire community of Lakeview qualify as NIMBYs?

benyl
10-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Poo Poo on Poo mans.

g-m
10-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Bow and Sarcee interchange was planned to be done at same time as West LRT but I've read it was canned for:

1. Budget
2. Pootmans didn't want big traffic nightmare

Not sure which one is true, or if its both. What a shame haha. Bow trail was fucked anyway because of the LRT construction. So instead of having a slightly worse problem we've stretched it out into a cumulative 5 years of fucked traffic on bow trail.

Does anyone have insider information as to why its 2 lanes in one direction and 3 the other way yet no push to widen? It looks retarded because it is.

kenny
10-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Bow trail was fucked anyway because of the LRT construction. So instead of having a slightly worse problem we've stretched it out into a cumulative 5 years of fucked traffic on bow trail.

Does anyone have insider information as to why its 2 lanes in one direction and 3 the other way yet no push to widen? It looks retarded because it is.

Ya they should've done it all in one shot. It would've been a big pain in the ass for the couple years and it would've been free flowing now.

Looks like there is no space to do the complete 6 lane widening. I wonder if the City is waiting on some redevelopment work before they finish it. Looking on Google Maps there is at least 1 parking lot in the way.

g-m
10-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Well yea, that's what I was thinking, but there's a bunch of new buildings built RECENTLY, and I would've thought they'd start buying up the land because it can't be 3/2 forever. The derelict house right by ross Carrock gate would've been a good start but it looks like construction has started on something. And then the new Mr. Lube. I'm resigned to having it 3/2 for a long time I guess.

Maxt
10-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Humans can move habitats easier than animals, so I support the pave-Lakeview initiative. ;)
Just tunnel it already.....

01RedDX
10-25-2014, 08:49 PM