PDA

View Full Version : Another Ticket Thread - Mandatory Court Appearance

zipdoa
10-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Short and sweet:

Mandatory Court Appearance. Received a ticket 51 over the limit. Clocked by a undercover silver f-150 with front/rear lidar. Rear lidar clocked @ 51 over. Front lidar clocked at 20 over.

Looking to get the following questions answered:

Is it possible to reach a deal without going to court?

Is it worth the money to hire a lawyer?

Any resources/FAQ/Coles Notes on fighting a ticket like this?

Any advantages because it was the rear lidar reading that was used?

EDIT:

Wrong section - mods pls move

blairtruck
10-24-2014, 05:40 PM
51 over what? was it 110 zone or 30 zone

01RedDX
10-24-2014, 05:45 PM

zipdoa
10-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck
51 over what? was it 110 zone or 30 zone

131 in an 80

Env-Consultant
10-24-2014, 07:18 PM
If you're up for some reading...

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/trucker-legal-advice/101296-advice-cop-fighting-tickets-8.html

And

Lidar Experience (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.periheliondesign.com%2Fdownloads%2Fspeeding_ticket.pdf&ei=FPpKVOP2CIexyQS_sYGQAw&usg=AFQjCNHNwZUG9dHQL7r8WdLsUpMAjb_JPw&bvm=bv.77880786,d.aWw)

GTS Jeff
10-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Out of curiousity, did you have a radar detector or jammers at all?

Mibz
10-24-2014, 07:32 PM
TRANSIT NOT LOOKING SO BAD TODAY, EH?!

spike98
10-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I'd talk to the crown and not spend a dime on a lawyer. 1km/hr over the threshold would be easy to argue. Give a sob story and plead to a lesser speed.

frizzlefry
10-24-2014, 08:02 PM
First possible issue is that there is no such thing as rear or front lidar. Lidar is only ever employed in a "trap" situation as it cannot be used while moving. Lidar is laser. Any of those traps where you see police walk into the road and wave people over is lidar. They have a laser gun that needs to be aimed at a reflective bit which is usually the headlights or the grill if it's chrome/reflective. Doing that while moving is hard and actually not technically possible as the lidar gun requires that it be stationary.

If it was a ghost truck then it was ka-band radar or he clocked you by matching speed. I have only ever seen rader used while aiming forwards. Likely due to the difficulty in aiming backwards while driving forwards. But there are no technical reasons why it would not work aiming backwards as far as I know.

But I would say don't fight it if you know nothing about how your speed was obtained. Talk to the crown and only engage a lawyer if a guilty verdict would equal the loss of your license. Cost does not make sense otherwise.

*edit* it is very possible they hit you with lidar as you passed them parked. They aim for your plate. Then pulled out and pulled you over. I have never personally seen this tactic employed but its popular in the states. They hit you from above while on an over pass and radio ahead to have to waved over. Never seen it here but its possible.

There are no technical reasons to get out of it. The tools the police use are well maintained, tested and accurate. Lidar is accurate +/- 1km per hour. I have heard of a guy getting out of a racing ticket in Ontario by being clocked at 50km over. Technically could have been 49km. So he got hit with the lesser punishment.

spikerS
10-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
First possible issue is that there is no such thing as rear or front lidar. Lidar is only ever employed in a "trap" situation as it cannot be used while moving. Lidar is laser. Any of those traps where you see police walk into the road and wave people over is lidar. They have a laser gun that needs to be aimed at a reflective bit which is usually the headlights or the grill if it's chrome/reflective. Doing that while moving is hard and actually not technically possible as the lidar gun requires that it be stationary.

If it was a ghost truck then it was ka-band radar or he clocked you by matching speed. I have only ever seen rader used while aiming forwards. Likely due to the difficulty in aiming backwards while driving forwards. But there are no technical reasons why it would not work aiming backwards as far as I know.

But I would say don't fight it if you know nothing about how your speed was obtained. Talk to the crown and only engage a lawyer if a guilty verdict would equal the loss of your license. Cost does not make sense otherwise.

I know enough to think you are not correct in your statements, but not knowledgeable enough to disprove it. :rofl:

frizzlefry
10-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

I know enough to think you are not correct in your statements, but not knowledgeable enough to disprove it. :rofl:

Give it a go! Extensive googling has provided me with my answers. Always willing to learn something if someone knows otherwise.

max_boost
10-24-2014, 08:26 PM
First major infraction? I will share my story.

No tickets on record at the time. In Banff, 131 in 80 zone. I hired Pointts ($600). They plea deal to reduce the ticket to 30over, 4 demerits providing I take a defensive drivers course online ($100cost) but you get a 3demerit credit so you end up with only 1 demerit on record. I couldn't remember how much they fined me, I think it was still $600. All said and done $1300. lol

Good luck.

msommers
10-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Can you just go talk to the JoP and ask for a reduction? How many demerits is that? Cost of ticket?

Env-Consultant
10-24-2014, 08:35 PM
You can also request to see calibration verification from the crown. Additionally, if the officer did the calibration (unsure ifbthis was actually lidar or K-Ban based on the thread, read up on it and learn the steps/have them printed. If they can't walk you through it exactly step by step or they don't have a calibration sign-off, you're likely good. I wouldn't pay for a lawyer - chances are they won't even show up, based on half the lawyer bitching threads on here.

revelations
10-24-2014, 08:42 PM
I would plead guilty to under 50kph fine + demerits.

B69
10-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Plead down to 50 over 351$. 51 over is 600$ + depending on your record and if you get a pissed off judge, you will get suspended for 30+ days.

Radar is used in both front and rear stationary/moving modes. This means especially if your closing the distance on a patrol car he will get your speed way before you even know it. This also applies to travelling the same direction away from the patrol car.

Anyone using this equipment will test and calibrate it at the start and end of the shift, so if you think you'll win in trail guess again. Traffic cops know their shit inside and out and they're trained to win in court lol.

Points isn't worth your money. Everything they can do, you can do on your own.

The Officer probably had a Stalker or Stalker 2X. If you're interested just do research on them and you'll see they're extremely accurate and dummy proof.

Isaiah
10-25-2014, 06:15 AM
You can always try for a lower charge and fine first, then if it doesn't work you can go to court. My driving record is pretty clean and I've always been able to have tickets reduced 3/3 times.

You have the option to negotiate first, then if you don't like what they offer you you can refuse it. Do this before your court date.

BigDL
10-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
They hit you from above while on an over pass and radio ahead to have to waved over. Never seen it here but its possible.

I seen them do it on stone trail at sarcee trail during this summer.

Kijho
10-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
TRANSIT NOT LOOKING SO BAD TODAY, EH?!

Haha this... what emergency were you rushing to going 131km/h in an 80km/h zone.. holy shit. :dunno:

FraserB
10-25-2014, 09:27 AM
x whatever, unless it's going to cost your license, don't bother with a lawyer. Plead to 49 over, pay the fines and take the demerits. Your insurance is going up regardless. Easier and cheaper this way.

Shlade
10-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Lawyer is worth it...

I got a "racing" ticket 2 years ago when I was doing some runs with my buddy's car after I did some work on it. It being loud AF and all a STI roars past me and I see a cop flick his lights on and come blasting for me... Well pulls me over and only me and says I was racing which was BS. Ticket was a $406 racing ticket which would have destroyed my insurance. STI wasn't caught or anything.

Paid points guy got me out of the entire ordeal. I was willing to take a noise ticket or even a estimated speeding ticket but he got me off the entire thing instead.