PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Medicine Hat Beyonders

MGCM
10-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Hey guys Im looking to talk to as many beyonders as possible who live in Medicine Hat currently. Took a drive down there yesterday and things have really been growing by the looks of it. My goal is to move back there next summer and get a job doing local residential/commercial electrical for the 2nd year of my electrical apprenticeship. Probably looking to rent for the 2nd year of my apprenticeship and possibly purchase during the 3rd year of my apprenticeship. With a dream of repurchasing my grandpa's old property when he ran Kusler Buslines just east of Highway 1 down Black & White Trail, the lot just past the old gravel pit.

If your living down in Medicine Hat Id love to talk to you via PM or even in person next time I drive down there. Thank you. GO TIGERS!!!

SKR
10-28-2014, 03:37 PM
You can PM me if you want. I've only been here for a year and a half, and I don't spend a lot of time away from home because I don't like most people (anywhere, not just here) but I'll answer any questions as good as I can.

colinderksen
10-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Season tickets for Tigers. Been here for 5 years.

MGCM
10-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by colinderksen
Season tickets for Tigers. Been here for 5 years.

My Grandpa used to Charter them and the Jays back in the day.

HuMz
10-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Too bad you weren't coming a year sooner there is a massive substation were building in brooks thats paying 145 a day loa with a J-man rate of 47 a hour with double time weekends.

The completion date will probably be next christmas so you may still have a chance to get on if your in the area.

schurchill39
10-30-2014, 07:44 PM
I lived there for 14 years and dread going back even on holidays. Housing prices aren't all that terrible right now but the city is so poorly planned that you pretty much have to live in south ridge, Ross glen or Redcliff to avoid pulling out your hair any time you need to run to the store or go to work. If you keep to yourself then Medicine Hat is fine, otherwise you're going to fine a lot of nosy people causing drama because there is quite literally nothing else going on in the city. I moved away from there in 2008 but all of my family still lives there.

spike98
10-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I lived there for 14 years and dread going back even on holidays. Housing prices aren't all that terrible right now but the city is so poorly planned that you pretty much have to live in south ridge, Ross glen or Redcliff to avoid pulling out your hair any time you need to run to the store or go to work. If you keep to yourself then Medicine Hat is fine, otherwise you're going to fine a lot of nosy people causing drama because there is quite literally nothing else going on in the city. I moved away from there in 2008 but all of my family still lives there.

I can pretty much echo this. I've lived there from '83 until March of this year.

PM if you have any questions

MGCM
10-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Thank you for all the responses guys, greatly appreciated. I have contacted a few of you already and hope to hear back soon. Thank you Beyond.ca for making this possible:)

se7en
10-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Meh. I like it. Been here about 30 years. It is what you make of it. I love the huge lots in crescent heights, and the fact that it takes me all of 8 minutes to get anywhere. Sure traffic is bad on that ONE bridge, but there is ways around that. Great place for a kid to grow up. That is IF you like outdoorsey stuff like trails to explore, etc.

btimbit
10-31-2014, 10:31 PM
Been thinking of moving back as well so thanks for the info guys!

Rat Fink
11-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by se7en
Meh. I like it. Been here about 30 years. It is what you make of it. I love the huge lots in crescent heights, and the fact that it takes me all of 8 minutes to get anywhere. Sure traffic is bad on that ONE bridge, but there is ways around that. Great place for a kid to grow up. That is IF you like outdoorsey stuff like trails to explore, etc.

This exactly. It is what you make of it. I lived in Med Hat back in 2006/2007 but hated it. I was in the oilfield and surrounded myself with shitrats and deadbeats. I dated complete losers during that time. I moved back to the Hat in 2012 and the entire experience has been a 180. I really like Medicine Hat and hope to be here the rest of my life. I love the friends I have here, and my wife has a bunch of family all less than 5 minutes away and it has been awesome.

I live fairly central in the city and can get anywhere in 10 minutes. AWESOME!

The main downside though, is there aren't a lot of good jobs available. You can do all the oilfield bullshit if you want. If you are looking for something outside of that then there can be pretty slim pickings. You have your trades but there aren't a lot of good white collar positions if that's your thing. There is no university in town, and the college is pretty half-ass, and city planning is pretty stagnant due to a lot of grey-hairs in high positions that don't seem very entrepreneurial so I think it has really choked down the true potential this city could have.

Skrilla
11-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
If you keep to yourself then Medicine Hat is fine, otherwise you're going to fine a lot of nosy people causing drama because there is quite literally nothing else going on in the city. I moved away from there in 2008 but all of my family still lives there.

^this x 2. I moved here in '06, and after a couple years you really start to notice this. I grew up in Fox Creek (about 3k pop) and it is almost as bad with the nosy, clique people. Granted I have met some of my closest friends here, but they have been the rare exception, most have been idiots. The worst part is, is that most of these people are 28+ and act like they are 18.

I would have moved at the end of last year, but met someone and we ended up just buying a new place this month, and with taking on a new position at my company. it looks like I am going to be here a while.