PDA

View Full Version : dumb question about tire wear

r3ccOs
10-26-2014, 09:05 PM
I think the consensus is that the front tires wear faster because of steering, weight and braking.

A buddy of mine just got a set of used Wild Country XTX and its about 90% for a pair and about 80% the other pair (obviously whomever he got it from didn't rotate them).

He has a Ram 1500 and just wants to know how he should mount them...

Looking at his stock SR-A's it looks like his rears are worn faster??
and he's not really towing or gunning it.

?

know1edge
10-26-2014, 09:16 PM
most tread always on the rear

BokCh0y
10-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
most tread always on the rear

Agreed.

I usually toss the tires with the most tread on the drive tires.

Redlined_8000
10-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Put the 90% on the rear.

Anything RWD will eat the rear. FWD will ware the front.

Graham_A_M
10-31-2014, 01:17 PM
^ This, so he'd want to put the thicker ones (with more tread) on the rear. He should wait about 20k km's before he rotates them though, as they should be worn about the same at that point.

quick_scar
10-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Rear on trucks go first as those are primary drive wheels. put the better tires on the back.

E46..sTyLez
10-31-2014, 01:28 PM
On RWD, rear tires get eaten wayyy faster. In my old 330ci I went through 2 sets of rears by the time the fronts needed replacing. Even on the sti, the rears still wore out a little faster.

r3ccOs
11-07-2014, 10:53 AM
thanks Fella's!

Disoblige
11-07-2014, 11:02 AM
It doesn't matter what drive your car is. FWD, RWD, AWD, you put the most tread in the rear.

killramos
11-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
It doesn't matter what drive your car is. FWD, RWD, AWD, you put the most tread in the rear.

On my GTI my fronts wore much faster.

Just rotate normally and things will always work out. Unless you stagger lol

soloracer
11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I think the consensus is that the front tires wear faster because of steering, weight and braking.

Not true, quite the opposite in fact. All my cars wear out the rear tires at about a ratio of 2:1 (2 sets of rears for every one set of fronts). I cannot rotate tires on any of them as they are all different sizes.

Disoblige
11-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Lots of misinformation in this thread. Just because your fronts wear much faster doesn't mean you put the tires with most tread up front. The most tread goes in the rear, always.

If your fronts are wearing quicker, the either check your alignment and/or balancing, change your driving habits, or buy new tires.

Redlined_8000
11-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Lots of misinformation in this thread. Just because your fronts wear much faster doesn't mean you put the tires with most tread up front. The most tread goes in the rear, always.

If your fronts are wearing quicker, the either check your alignment and/or balancing, change your driving habits, or buy new tires.

Most tread up front for FWD. I am basing this on buying 4 brand new winter tires. Not having 25% tread back and 100% tread front, as this could cause oversteer. As long as you rotate your tires front to back 1x a season it will works fine.

FWD cars without traction control spin the front like nothing all winter. Also all they do is understeer so how is the back suppose to ware? lol.. And as for changing driving habits, sure.... But if people wana drive like a grandma all their life let them I guess...

Disoblige
11-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Well, I'm definitely not feeling sorry for anyone who reads this and hydroplanes their rear tires first, can't control it, and ends up in a ditch.

You can look up any reputable source and no where would any place recommend you to put the 2 good tires up front.

I tried.

carson blocks
11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Well, I'm definitely not feeling sorry for anyone who reads this and hydroplanes their rear tires first, can't control it, and ends up in a ditch.

You can look up any reputable source and no where would any place recommend you to put the 2 good tires up front.

I tried.

This. I love seeing people who put 2 winters on the front of their FWD shitbox, thinking they're being safer AND saving money. It makes it easy to spot those who don't understand basic physics and driving dynamics.

Redlined_8000
11-07-2014, 01:14 PM

I tried.

Sooo are you trying to say never rotate your tires front to back??? lol.

I have 4 brand new tires on my civic.... After this winter my fronts will for sure be more worn then the rear, so next winter I will put the rears to the front...... That way the tires wear even and I get the most out of the set of tires.

What your saying is to leave the backs on the back all the time and never rotate because they have the most tread and the most tread must be on the back? So eventually I will have like 10% front tires and 50% rear. I will have to buy a set of new tires and put it on the rear and then have 50% front 100% rear?

I dunno. Im just gonna rotate like ive been doing. Never had a single problem.

People will run into problems only if they miss match sets (winters front all season rear) and yes that is dumb... But if you have a 10% difference in wear from front to rear it wont make a difference assuming all tires are same make.

EDIT: dam autocorrect.

Aleks
11-07-2014, 01:47 PM
What is ware?

If you rotate every 6 months to a year there should be no noticeable difference in tire tread.

I think the most tread on rear applies if you're doing only 2 winter tires (for whatever reason), or if you have tires what have large differences in tread depth.

killramos
11-07-2014, 02:01 PM
So aparenlty half the people in this thread have tires that are 100% and 10%.

Here's a damn thought. Rotate your tires regularly and replace them when both at 25% because you rotated them properly.

Again all of this is different for staggered tires but the best recomendation is don't drive on bald ass tires.

Redlined_8000
11-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by killramos
So aparenlty half the people in this thread have tires that are 100% and 10%.

Here's a damn thought. Rotate your tires regularly and replace them when both at 25% because you rotated them properly.

Again all of this is different for staggered tires but the best recomendation is don't drive on bald ass tires.

:werd: /thread

Disoblige
11-07-2014, 02:14 PM
What the fuck are you 2 talking about? lol
No one is saying to not rotate your tires regularly. As Alek's stated, if you do it regularly, you should see no difference in tire wear.
But if you do have a difference in tread depth, you put em in the back.

Read people... :\

We're right you 2 are wrong. Accept it.

tirebob
11-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Okay... The average driver will wear front tires faster than the rear tires, especially on FWD and AWD. Even on RWD car, average drivers tend to find front wearing more unevenly than the rear. That is because there are your steering tires so they see the most scrubbing and scuffing with turning. Now obviously if someone is a bit of an aggressive driver, the traction wheels, whether that is FWD or RWD, will experience accelerated wear.

The proper tire placement for all cars, whether FWD, RWD or AWD, is to have the most tread on the rear of the vehicle. This is to keep traction under breaking enhanced at the rear of the vehicle to avoid an oversteer situation. Now that said, because most people tend to wear the fronts faster than the rears, it seems like you would never rotate you tires, but keeping you tires rotated will keep the wear close enough that the imbalance will not be an issue. If you have a wear difference of 5 or 10 percent it won't really make things noticeable, but if you have 30 or 40 percent difference, the issue under braking are potentially very real...

know1edge
11-07-2014, 08:01 PM