PDA

View Full Version : Best attractions in and around Calgary?

funkedelic2
10-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Kind of a dumb question, but what would you consider the best attractions in the area? I Live in Lethbridge and have been to Calgary probably hundreds of times but realized there are a lot of places I haven't been to.

I have some family coming next weekend and we were trying to figure out what we'd like to do and show them. I've been to the stampede, calaway, the zoo, flames games, Ect. but I realized I haven't done some things I should do like go up to the calgary tower, visit olympic park or go to banff. Maybe drumheller would be interesting.

I would like to hear some ideas on what the best tourist locations are and why. Any neat under the radar spots that you know of? Also have to consider the season we are in and having to deal with cooler weather. It would be nice to hear suggestions on popular and must visit restaurants in town as well.

Thanks in advance!

mr2mike
10-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Have not done this but the COP stuff is supposedly really great. Olympic Hall of Fame, Luge, bobsled stuff, not sure what changes as it goes into winter.
But the Hall of Fame for sure is on my "take a tourist" list (it's indoors).

http://www.sportshall.ca/visit.html?lang=EN

killramos
10-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Have not done this but the COP stuff is supposedly really great. Olympic Hall of Fame, Luge, bobsled stuff, not sure what changes as it goes into winter.
But the Hall of Fame for sure is on my "take a tourist" list (it's indoors).

http://www.sportshall.ca/visit.html?lang=EN

If you have never tried it COP downhill mountain biking is a blast. very affordable to with nice bike rentals. I did a summer camp there when I was a kid and it was awesome.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2014, 08:43 AM
Calgary and area has several "world class" attractions. Heritage Park, Glenbow Museum, WinSport (COP). Calgary tower is still pretty neat perspective on the city, although the food is mediocre.
Really depends on what your guests are into.
If they would enjoy learning about native history and culture, Head Smashed-in is great, as is the blackfoot crossing historical park.
Royal Tyrell is great.
Canmore/banff/lake Louise is a "must-do" for anyone from overseas, as it's the iconic picture of Canada that they've likely seen in magazines.
Try taking them off the beaten track in the mountains to the Highwood pass or the icefields parkway if you can, they will appreciate it. The Gondola at Louise or Kicking Horse is great for tourists.

Sasuke_Kensai
10-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Drumheller and the dinosaur museum are cool, but summer is probably better as you get more of the badlands atmosphere. You can also stop at Horseshoe Canyon and run up/down the hoodoos, I actually prefer that to the museum. You can also do a helicopter tour of the canyon, I think it was $50/person a few years ago.

You can really do infinite trips to Banff/Canmore. Lots of evergreens so it should be nice even now, my mom said it's like middle of the winter in parts. Gondola up to sulphur mountain is a great view, but expensive (in summer, it's easy to hike up instead). You can also go behind Banff Springs hotel and see Bow Falls. There's the hot springs, but it might not actually be the mountain water, it might just be a heated pool now. It also tends to get really crowded but it's still worth it. There's easy trails around the town, you don't have to drive out.

If you want to go further (about 2 hours west of Calgary), Lake Louise is a popular tourist spot. If you're up to it you can hike up to the teahouse, but if anyone's out of shape it might be out of the picture. Moraine Lake (between Banff/Lake Louise I think) is also a good option for a walk.

For Calgary restaurants, Sultan's Tent is a bit different from the usual new trendy bistro/beer hall that pops up every couple months. You sit on benches with cushions around a table and eat with your hands (it's moved, I'm assuming it hasn't changed). Probably not the best value, but then again most trendy restaurants these days aren't. I remember there being quite a bit of food though, if you go you 'have' to do the Sultan's feast. Anyway it's a neat dining experience. Not a gourmand so I can't speak to the quality of the food but I thought it was great. I believe it's Moroccan, or somewhere around there.

funkedelic2
10-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!