PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter Install - Toyota FJ Cruiser

killramos
10-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Hey guys after the brisk morning today I had the idea of having remote start installed in my Fiance's truck for her for Christmas. The truck is an FJ Cruiser.

My questions are where is the best place to go for RELIABLE installation or any experience people have had with having them installed in an FJ Cruiser, Tacoma or 4Runner and any issues that these trucks can have with the install?

Also what kind of hardware is good these days? I have heard great things about compustar but for a no nonsense starter what should I be looking at.

Most I don't want to hand her off a problem so bulletproof install and operation is what I am looking for. Car is not under warranty so that isnt an issue.

Joe-G
10-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Don't have first hand experience with them, but Autotech seems to be well recommended. I'd rather them than your generic Autotemp, Best Buy, Futureshop, etc.

ExtraSlow
10-28-2014, 08:55 AM
AutoTech is the place. As for which starter, I personally will never buy a one-way starter again. two-way is worth the extra money.
I just put a 2-way Pro 901 Compustar in my wife minivan. Great starters, no hassles from the boys at Autotech.

killramos
10-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
AutoTech is the place. As for which starter, I personally will never buy a one-way starter again. two-way is worth the extra money.
I just put a 2-way Pro 901 Compustar in my wife minivan. Great starters, no hassles from the boys at Autotech.

Whats the difference? I have never even used a non-oem starter.

Again the only thing i want the thing to do is start the car when its cold out. No GPS tracking alarm system nonsense.

R!zz0
10-28-2014, 09:28 AM
2 Way tells you that your car has started
1 way doesn't. Better to get 2 way like ExtraSlow said. Look at Canadian tire, they have pretty good deals on 2 way starter. My brother in law has had his for almost 5 years and hasn't yet given him problems. It all depends on the install.

killramos
10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
What do you guys think of this model at Autotech?

http://autotechps.com/remote-RF-2W940-SS.html

The 901 Pro looks like a bit to much for what i need with the LCD and needing to be charged. I would rather just change the batteries...

Not to mention i am sure she would think this one is cute lol.

ExtraSlow
10-28-2014, 11:03 AM
As mentioned, 2-way just means you'll get confirmation that A) you were in range and B) your car actually started.
Walking to the car after a hockey game, I really like knowing that the car has started.
One neat feature of the compustar 2-way, and possibly other brands, is I can "query" the car, and it'll tell me wha the interior temperature is. I don't know why, but I get a kick out of that.

Originally posted by killramos
What do you guys think of this model at Autotech?

http://autotechps.com/remote-RF-2W940-SS.html

The 901 Pro looks like a bit to much for what i need with the LCD and needing to be charged. I would rather just change the batteries...
The 901 Pro is probably overkill, I get a little excited about car starters, lol.

killramos
10-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
As mentioned, 2-way just means you'll get confirmation that A) you were in range and B) your car actually started.
Walking to the car after a hockey game, I really like knowing that the car has started.
One neat feature of the compustar 2-way, and possibly other brands, is I can "query" the car, and it'll tell me wha the interior temperature is. I don't know why, but I get a kick out of that.

The 901 Pro is probably overkill, I get a little excited about car starters, lol.

Yea i just didn't get what the big deal is. I will probably get the 2 way so i can do it right lol.

The thing with the 901 is i am concerned it would also be to big and ugly for her to carry around:rolleyes: . The Slice is almost cute enough that she will use it :rofl:

max_boost
10-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Just don't drop your 2 way remote like I did and have the screen all messed up. :banghead:

killramos
10-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Just don't drop your 2 way remote like I did and have the screen all messed up. :banghead:

Slice doesn't have screen :D

Checkmate!

Considering she has broken her iphone twice already this year probably a good consideration LOL.

Speed_69
10-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Yea i just didn't get what the big deal is. I will probably get the 2 way so i can do it right lol.

The thing with the 901 is i am concerned it would also be to big and ugly for her to carry around:rolleyes: . The Slice is almost cute enough that she will use it :rofl:
I have the 901 Pro and actually like the rechargeable battery. It lasts about 3 weeks and you just have to plug it in for a short while using the same cable as a phone charger.

I don't find the remote all that big and it's slightly slimmer than the previous compustar lcd remotes but then again I'm a guy so maybe that's why I don't mind. I like having the LCD because it shows me information like if the doors are locked, temperature, how long the car's been running, etc. Another bonus for the 901 Pro is having an extra 1000+ feet in range.

killramos
10-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Well i appreciate the help guys Autotech sounds like a great sport just booked the car in and for what i think is a pretty reasonable price for a new 2-way compustar!