PDA

View Full Version : Linked In - is it useful?

88CRX
10-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Is linked in useful at all? I just signed up and it seems like a waste of time and just another version of Facebook but for work.

Do people actually use it as a reference for hiring, looking for services and networking?

v2kai
10-28-2014, 04:42 PM
I think it's useful to some degree depending on your field of work. I use it as an 'expanded resume'. Things that dont necessarily fit on a resume when youre trying to be succinct can be elaborated on a bit more on your linkedin profile; so if the resume piques a potential employer's interest they can check out your profile to get a bit more detail and info.

A790
10-28-2014, 05:07 PM
I use it for networking/hiring.

killramos
10-28-2014, 05:09 PM
I think it's good for something other than your facebook account show up when someone googles your name.

Aside from that I use it to keep track of people though I never use it to contact people.

R-Audi
10-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Found my current job on LinkedIn...

xnvy
10-28-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm taking a course at the University about careers. We've had guest speakers who previously attended the class. Lots of them found their jobs on LinkedIn. Even the ones that didn't stressed the importance of Networking on LinkedIn because it keeps you in people's memories. Especially if they vouch for your skills and accomplishments and such.

ExtraSlow
10-28-2014, 06:14 PM
I find it useful, it has steered a bunch of relevant jobs my way via the army of linked recruiters. However, haven't actually landed a job this way . . .

Kijho
10-28-2014, 06:34 PM
LinkedIn - yup, useful.

finboy
10-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Hit or miss, some places I've worked told me they wouldn't hire people unless they found their profile when they were considering resumes. Functionally it's a POS site and the app is even worse! and it contains just as much if not more filler than facebook.

roopi
10-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Definately useful depending on you line of work. I've made some contacts that I never would have.

Cos
10-28-2014, 08:05 PM

msommers
10-28-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm trying to find out how to network on it but not really sure how to lol.

wintonyk
10-28-2014, 08:30 PM
i am on linked in almost every day for work. i also check to make sure contacts are with current company sometimes as O&G change so frequently. Also handy because if you see someone you know has a connection, it's easy to ask for more information. Then again I am in BD, so it's probably more helpful for me than most.

finboy
10-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm trying to find out how to network on it but not really sure how to lol.

You have to pay to message people, but if you use their desktop site you can write a message in the invite (but not with the mobile site or app). If you want to send a message otherwise, find any public group that person is part of, join it, and then you can send them a message free because you are linked through the common group.

xnvy
10-28-2014, 08:46 PM
^Some people also have their profile set so that anybody can message them for free. I met up with a consultant that way. That's not a default setting though so most people don't have it.

eiysa101
10-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Fn lame for cyber stalking. No bikini pics or anything worth jerking off too

broken_legs
10-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Yes and no.

I realized that ex GF psycho stalked me on the internet via linkedin. I changed my profile name to an initial to stop that.

I feel obligated to add people i know even if they suck.and i dont want.to be professionally associated with them.

My linkedin newsfeed is now full of bullshit like
Random chick has chnaged her picture
66 new comments in random chicks picture saying how hot she is

Or stuff about religion and politics?! Thats what beyind is for!

On the bright side i get harassed constantly by recruiters.

Then again most of the recruiters are useless.

Yes its useful. Just be careful.

Rgs,
B

nzwasp
01-11-2016, 03:27 PM
How hardcore do you go with customizing your linkedin profile?

rx7boi
01-11-2016, 03:38 PM
http://www.funniestmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Funniest_Memes_graphical-representation-of-linkedin-accounts_11353.jpeg

Xtrema
01-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
How hardcore do you go with customizing your linkedin profile?

I have 0 info. I only have it because everyone want me to endorse them on their skill set.

ExtraSlow
01-11-2016, 03:47 PM
LinkedIn is an means to an end. By itself, it doesn't get you a job or anything like that. However it can be a valuable addition to your other marketing efforts. These days, in the "gig economy" as I have heard some folks call it, you really could be constantly marketing yourself, even if you are fully employed.

Best feature is "recommendations", which are hand-written references. Those are truly valuable, since they take more than a couple clicks of the mouse to give and get them.

I also think it's standard practice for recruiters and HR folks to check you out on linkedin when you apply for a job, so adding more detail of important accomplishments can help you stand out.

riander5
01-11-2016, 03:53 PM
I was headhunted for my job off it. And it was a big upgrade imo so I'm all about LinkedIn

Swank
01-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Not sure about today's job market, but when I was looking for work 3 years ago LinkedIn didn't bring anything to the table, just constant recruiters who couldn't find anything for someone like me with a very specific skillset. I've never heard of any of my peers getting anywhere with it either, but as this thread indicates, for some it's a gold mine :dunno:

jwslam
01-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I have 0 info. I only have it because everyone want me to endorse them on their skill set.
Can you endorse me for being a frequent beyond user? :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Adding people as "connections" seems to be pretty useless but every company posts jobs on there which is very useful. Holy shit the emails though, turn them all off right away.

Networking seems useless on it, not a single person I know even checks linkedin unless they are job hunting, and if I want to go for a coffee or connect with someone I will call them, not send them a linkedin PM.

Set up my profile for the first time ever in December and I was headhunted within a week for interviews. Definitely worth it to at least have a profile even if you don't go all out.

Cos
01-11-2016, 05:10 PM

nykz
01-11-2016, 05:17 PM
I personally use LinkedIn as a marketing and branding page, granted I'm in sales and business development, so its a great marketing tool. It's quite useful for my profession as a stalker to find the appropriate contacts within businesses.

I'd recommend everyone to have a page at least even if you don't use it actively, there will come a time when you are job hunting and the exposure you can get from LinkedIn will prove to be useful. At the very least if an HR person was to look you up on Google, a LinkedIn page coming up first is better than your Facebook account.

lasimmon
01-11-2016, 05:32 PM
I find if I accept anyone I have never met in person I get some stupid offer for some job.

89coupe
01-11-2016, 05:36 PM
I use LinkedIn a lot.

I find it very useful for marketing and communicating.

I message through it frequently with industry members.

killramos
01-11-2016, 05:37 PM
I have found linkedin useful for getting a hold of people who have had their phones and emails taken away after a layoff :rofl:

flipstah
01-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Is linked in useful at all? I just signed up and it seems like a waste of time and just another version of Facebook but for work.

Do people actually use it as a reference for hiring, looking for services and networking?

I got my former O&G job there, so I'm a believer of LinkedIn.

Originally posted by Cos
I am getting head hunted by a lot of banks based out of Hong Kong right now on here..... not really sure what skillsets they think I can bring.

Being white is a skillset in Asia.

Jlude
01-11-2016, 06:02 PM
I definitely use Linkedin for business. I get connection requested everyday and most of the time from people looking for a job or have seen posts of mine or the company and wanting to connect to discuss. I don't know exactly how much work I've been able to get through Linkedin, but I have made several connections that were good.

Xtrema
01-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by killramos
I have found linkedin useful for getting a hold of people who have had their phones and emails taken away after a layoff :rofl:

Now you mentioned it..... it's true! :rofl:

Swank
01-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by nykz
At the very least if an HR person was to look you up on Google, a LinkedIn page coming up first is better than your Facebook account.
To this day a Google search on my name doesn't come up with my Facebook or LinkedIn account :dunno: :thumbsup:

Asian_defender
01-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Being white is a skillset in Asia.

So true :rofl: :rofl:

I get at least 1 call/year from a headhunter for work all over north america. Over the past 6 months I've been contacted to work in the greater Pittsburgh area which I didn't entertain and 1 offer to work at Telus.

JaffX
01-12-2016, 12:33 PM
It's pretty useless for me, 50% of people contacting me are fake recruiters trying to phish me. 40% are people from World Financial Group trying to scam me into their stuff.

Squishy
01-12-2016, 12:52 PM
I always have old guys trying to 'connect' with me that I've never met before, sometimes not even from the same cities.. Are you supposed to accept these requests as a way of networking or??:confused:

mr2mike
01-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
I always have old guys trying to 'connect' with me that I've never met before, sometimes not even from the same cities.. Are you supposed to accept these requests as a way of networking or??:confused:

You must look good in your picture.

Had the CEO of Shell International apparently adding me. It was some middle eastern chick, didn't make sense. Ignored.