PDA

View Full Version : One Mirror?

tuner117
10-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Hey guys, been looking into things lately for the motorcycle laws but i cant seem to find an solid answer. My question is "is it against the law to only have one mirror? if not then what side MUST it be on if any specific?"

Thanks guys, just have my right mirror broken right now and wondering if i should ride it or get the second one. If you think its better I could always walk down to the local cop shop to ask one of them.

Thanks
Brayden

know1edge
10-28-2014, 05:29 PM
For cars only the driver's side is required

Graham_A_M
10-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Should be fine, Ive seen lots of choppers with no mirrors, and have never seen a ticket for it... then again others have these retardedly small mirrors which are entirely useless....

I think you're fine with only one.

theken
10-28-2014, 11:55 PM
The law with cars is 2 mirrors, rear view and a side. You need 2 mirrors, on a bike I'm not sure but I assume it's 2 as well

know1edge
10-29-2014, 12:35 AM

snowcat
10-29-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't know how guys roll without mirrors or just one. The beauty is no shoulder checking! (before a car guy reads this, unlike your car, my bike doesn't have a blind spot)

16hypen3sp
10-29-2014, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by tuner117
Hey guys, been looking into things lately for the motorcycle laws but i cant seem to find an solid answer. My question is "is it against the law to only have one mirror? if not then what side MUST it be on if any specific?"

Thanks guys, just have my right mirror broken right now and wondering if i should ride it or get the second one. If you think its better I could always walk down to the local cop shop to ask one of them.

Thanks
Brayden

Good question.

Here is an interesting page from Transport Canada.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/regulations-crc-c1038.htm
---------
Section 111 "Mirrors"

(13) Every motorcycle shall have, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle,

(a) a rearview mirror with not less than 80 cm2 (12.5 square inches) of reflective surface area; or

(b) a convex rearview mirror with not less than 64.5 cm2 (10 square inches) of reflective surface area and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 510 mm (20 inches) and not greater than 1 800 mm (71.5 inches).
------------

The above is part of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulation, which is part of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. What that Act deals with is the manufacture and importation of motor vehicles in Canada.

The provinces can come up with their own legislation regarding the use of said motor vehicles... and guess what... the Alberta Vehicle Equipment Regulation section 73 cites the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulation for mirrors.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf
------------
Mirror standards
73 Where any mirror of a motor vehicle was subject to the
requirements of Standard 111 under the Motor Vehicle Safety
Regulations under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) that
applied at the time of manufacture of the motor vehicle, the mirror
and any replacement for the mirror must be maintained in
accordance with that Standard.
-----------

I think you are required to have two mirrors. I would definitely get it fixed just for common sense safety sake.

tuner117
10-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys!! Appreciate the help!

GorG
11-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I use to ride with no mirrors and didn't have any issue with it, even after getting pulled over for speeding ticket. I have been pulled over before for a couple of infractions and was let go with 1 ticket no mirrors 57 dollars, this was about 3 years ago or so. My experience has always been that bikes get treated differently when it comes to altering the ascetics compared to a cars, I guess it also depends how you address the officer issuing the tickets.

Edit*
My thoughts are, if your riding with no/one mirror(s) a cop isn't going to pull you over to issue a 60 dollar ticket, its a waste of time. But if you're pulled over while doing other things or in an accident, its another ticket they can add on.

16hypen3sp
11-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by GorG
Edit*
My thoughts are, if your riding with no/one mirror(s) a cop isn't going to pull you over to issue a 60 dollar ticket, its a waste of time.

Agreed... until your casually riding along and run into a STEP Check... they will tear into your bike looking for infractions like crazy.

ercchry
11-04-2014, 05:20 PM
have had 1 mirror on both my bikes for a while now... yet to be pulled over on either, and they both dont even have front fenders

carson blocks
11-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
I don't know how guys roll without mirrors or just one. The beauty is no shoulder checking! (before a car guy reads this, unlike your car, my bike doesn't have a blind spot)

No shoulder checks? You're even dumber than I always thought you were...