PDA

View Full Version : Homes by AVI - Selection centre

vkesava1
10-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Hello There,

I have a selection centre appointment coming up soon. Anybody finished their selection centre appointment recently ? Any suggestions ?

Also Home by AVI appliances are whirlpool. I have never used whirlpool before. I m planning for a gas range, any model in whirlpool that is good ? Please advise.

Thanks

Sugarphreak
10-29-2014, 11:25 AM

vkesava1
10-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Here are my tips:

They charge you more if you try to stagger tiles, so don’t, it doesn’t make that much of a difference anyway. Also keep in mind that if you go with an engineered floor, it sits lower, and they will try to charge you 1$ per square foot if you want it to be the same elevation with the rest of the house. Try to just go with standard hardwood and tiles to avoid that cost.

Builder Quartz is a million times better than builder Granite options IMO, if they still have the grey sparkly stuff it looks great with natural rich wood colours. You can use different countertops for your kitchen and bathroom without surcharges, but the cabinets have to stay the same or you end up paying for two-tone, so try to find something that works for both.

Try to match your counter top colour with elements in your backsplash. If you really want to save some money on your backsplash, just get them to put a 6” strip of really fancy glass tiles into a selection of standard tiles, it keeps the cost way down and looks great…. Works in the bathroom as well for the shower tile.

Pay for the bevel on the mirrors, it is like 100$ and makes a very nice difference in the bathrooms without spending thousands

Don’t get sucked into paying extra for plumbing fixtures… the standard base stuff Avi gets is pretty damn decent and they get it in bulk so it is cheap. You can spend a small fortune and end up getting something that isn’t’ any better. You can always change out your kitchen sink one later, no point to spend money on it now.

Thank you very much for reply. I really appreciate your help.

So if i go with Engineered hardwood, does it makes the height lower ? how come ?

Regarding the backslash, i am planning on doing some 6 inch strip. May i know like how much does it cost for that strip ?

Also any suggestion on the carpet and kitchen lights? Not sure how much does it cost for lights thats in built in the ceilings?

sorry to ask so many things , i am a first time buyer, so nervous a bit .

tsi_neal
10-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Ill share my experience with gas ranges.

First I've used nothing but electric my whole life, traditional coil and glass top, never had an issue or complaint.

Built a new home and wanted to go gas because "everyone" says its "better". Went with a reasonably cheap selection on the advice of the sales man, basically supposed to be as good as any sub pro line range. Well the thing was a POS, a bad POS. Had service out and they shrugged their shoulders saying its fine and works as intended. Anyways back to the store it went, ended up with a pro line range that works very well.

Point being cheap electric ranges have kept me happy for many years, and cheap gas was total shit (mind you I only tried one, but was assured it was representative of low and mid line models). The pro line gas range has been amazing so far, but as a first time home buyer I wouldn't be excited at the thought of spending 5k+ on a range.

BigDL
10-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by vkesava1
Hello There,

I have a selection centre appointment coming up soon. Anybody finished their selection centre appointment recently ? Any suggestions ?

Also Home by AVI appliances are whirlpool. I have never used whirlpool before. I m planning for a gas range, any model in whirlpool that is good ? Please advise.

Thanks

Go before on a Saturday to look around and to get your free credit, get the card at the show home. When I did mine last year it was $200.

They could get other appliances, what they told me, find a model you like and ask the person at that time to get you price quotes.

Lighting, you could choose stuff in the place or make an appointment to the lighting place on Crowchild Tr.

Everything is color coded besides the higher end stuff which they have it listed as custom which they would have to give you a price for. But you can use the color codes to roughly figure out how much more an option would cost.

This is from Sept of last year prices probably changed, and might be different based on your model.

The basic washroom stuff like towel bars can be also bought at Home Depot, I got some towel rings and installed them myself.

Some changes I made.

Drawers for my cabinets and island:

43 *** Island - Add Pot Drawers with Wood Sides - Includes Set of 2 1.00 $375.00 $375.00

I use one to hold my wok and it is nice to be able to pull the whole thing out so i don't have to get on my knees to reach the back of the bottom shelf.

44 *** Kitchen - Add Roll Out Shelves - Single Door Unit/ Shelf 2.00 $110.00 $220.00

Pot lights:
78 *** Lounge (4), Kitchen (2) - Add Pot Light to existing Switch 6.00 $100.00 $600.00

This one was changing one track light to a pot light.

79 *** Kitchen - Upgrade Standard Light Outlet to Pot Light 1.00 $45.00 $45.00

vkesava1
10-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by BigDL

Go before on a Saturday to look around and to get your free credit, get the card at the show home. When I did mine last year it was $200.

They could get other appliances, what they told me, find a model you like and ask the person at that time to get you price quotes.

Lighting, you could choose stuff in the place or make an appointment to the lighting place on Crowchild Tr.

Everything is color coded besides the higher end stuff which they have it listed as custom which they would have to give you a price for. But you can use the color codes to roughly figure out how much more an option would cost.

This is from Sept of last year prices probably changed, and might be different based on your model.

The basic washroom stuff like towel bars can be also bought at Home Depot, I got some towel rings and installed them myself.

Some changes I made.

Drawers for my cabinets and island:

43 *** Island - Add Pot Drawers with Wood Sides - Includes Set of 2 1.00 $375.00 $375.00

I use one to hold my wok and it is nice to be able to pull the whole thing out so i don't have to get on my knees to reach the back of the bottom shelf.

44 *** Kitchen - Add Roll Out Shelves - Single Door Unit/ Shelf 2.00 $110.00 $220.00

Pot lights:
78 *** Lounge (4), Kitchen (2) - Add Pot Light to existing Switch 6.00 $100.00 $600.00

This one was changing one track light to a pot light.

79 *** Kitchen - Upgrade Standard Light Outlet to Pot Light 1.00 $45.00 $45.00

thanks for the info. really helpful.

Could you please let me know, where do i get the gift card from though ? i didnt get one yet ?

BigDL
10-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by vkesava1

thanks for the info. really helpful.

Could you please let me know, where do i get the gift card from though ? i didnt get one yet ?

I can go check tonight when I get home @ the show home to see if Cory is still giving them out. They were just sitting around at the show home at least at the old one. Possible they got rid of the promo but I will drop by and check.

masoncgy
10-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Whirlpool gas ranges are fine, they offer regular and slide-in style options, so you'll need to figure out style of range you want.

When I worked for Avi the range provided in most spec packages was basic electric, so you will be able to upgrade from there.