PDA

View Full Version : Lifting straps

MarkFJ40
10-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Where can I buy lifting straps?
I broke one last week :dunno:

J.M.
10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
bodybuilding.com but I'd make a significant order to offset shipping costs. Other than that have you tried GNC, popeyes, etc.?

MarkFJ40
10-29-2014, 02:09 PM
I did stop at GNC but the 300lbs girl working there didn't know

G-ZUS
10-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by MarkFJ40
I did stop at GNC but the 300lbs girl working there didn't know

:rofl:

cet
10-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Try Sportschek. They have a couple different ones listed online.

?????
10-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Walmart

MarkFJ40
10-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah. Popeye's for $12 and I had popeyes bucks to cover some of tthat.

pf0sh0
10-29-2014, 06:04 PM
supplements canada website.

takes 2 days - if you cant find some in calg

Milk2%
10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Hook grip ;)

heavyfuel
10-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Straps are for pussies lol

sheik_yerbouti
10-30-2014, 10:46 AM
I bought some a sport check. They work just fine, but I feel like a bitch when I use them. Gotta get that grip strength up.

pf0sh0
10-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by sheik_yerbouti
I bought some a sport check. They work just fine, but I feel like a bitch when I use them. Gotta get that grip strength up.

Originally posted by heavyfuel

I agree here

davidI
10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Buy some chalk and workout in a gym that allows it.

zipdoa
10-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Milk2%
Hook grip ;)
This

This

And this.

Your broken strap is a message from the Gods, OP. IMO, the best way to lift is without the assistance of belts and wraps. Chalk and preworkout and you're good to go.

BrknFngrs
10-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Your broken strap is a message from the Gods, OP. IMO, the best way to lift is without the assistance of belts and wraps. Chalk and preworkout and you're good to go.

I find that my grip is the limiting factor when I'm doing higher rep dumbbell weighted exercises (lunges, step ups, etc) Does chalk make that big of a difference?

davidI
10-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

I find that my grip is the limiting factor when I'm doing higher rep dumbbell weighted exercises (lunges, step ups, etc) Does chalk make that big of a difference?

There are two weak parts to grip - strength and slippage.

Chalk will fix the slippage. The strength is up to you.

Joe-G
10-30-2014, 01:33 PM
+1 with the comments above. I'd give chalk a try.

I like to use straps every now and then when I'm feeling lazy, or if my hands are tired. Otherwise, I can grip, and lift heavier with just chalk.

Hallowed_point
10-30-2014, 02:10 PM

:werd: Yep..functional strength > mass.

brucebanner
10-31-2014, 10:56 AM
You can toss in some heavy carries to up your grip strength. Farmer walks are a great way to increase your grip strength. That and they're an awesome full body exercise as well.

Originally posted by davidI
There are two weak parts to grip - strength and slippage.

Chalk will fix the slippage. The strength is up to you.
:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
:werd: Yep..functional strength > mass.
Depending on your goals, there are lots of people that just want to be big and don't care so much about strength.

Rat Fink
11-01-2014, 07:05 AM

jaylo
11-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Farmer walks with kettle bells since they have a fatter circumference on the grip as you progress through the heavier kettle bells

Milk2%
11-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Want grip strength get Fat GRIPS

ddduke
11-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Want grip strength get Fat GRIPS

or fat bar. Awesome investment, you just look like a douche rolling into the gym with your own bar, but then again I always look like a douche rolling in.

heavyfuel
11-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Before you worry about any of that ask yourself:

OloLS5kTrVs

Milk2%
11-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

or fat bar. Awesome investment, you just look like a douche rolling into the gym with your own bar, but then again I always look like a douche rolling in.

Would not suggest this at all. This has to be the dumbest shit I've heard in while

ddduke
11-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Would not suggest this at all. This has to be the dumbest shit I've heard in while

Once again, a useful post from milk. Talking shit, but won't explain why. If you're going to argue what someone says at least give a reason why you're arguing because as far as I can see from your other posts you don't seem to know fuck all about weight training but try to come off like you do without posting any relevant info.

pf0sh0
11-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Once again, a useful post from milk. Talking shit, but won't explain why. If you're going to argue what someone says at least give a reason why you're arguing because as far as I can see from your other posts you don't seem to know fuck all about weight training but try to come off like you do without posting any relevant info.

x100

SportEL
11-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Check out The Natural Grip. They were on Shark Tank yesterday, and got a deal.

-->http://thenaturalgrip.com/

Milk2%
11-08-2014, 10:55 PM

I explained why. You use fat grips, you don't bring a bar to the gym. You want grip strength you use fat grips not a oversized bar. The larger the grip the more forearm, something your oversized bar cannot achieve. But a simple grip you put in your gym bag makes much more sense.

I don't know fuck all about training hey, don't even get me started cause you have nothing on my knowledge. Enjoy bringing your bar to the gym you rat

ddduke
11-09-2014, 12:52 AM

The larger the grip the more forearm

You just explained it yourself, if the bar and the grips are the same size then you get the same affect.

But a simple grip you put in your gym bag makes much more sense.

It may be more convenient, but I prefer a bar to grips. It's just personal preference.

I don't know fuck all about training hey, don't even get me started cause you have nothing on my knowledge. Enjoy bringing your bar to the gym you rat

Knowledge of how to swing around like an idiot while doing pull ups doesn't count. I understand why you're upset though, no one takes crossfit seriously and you drive a $3000 car, I'd hate life too.

Milk2%
11-09-2014, 10:20 PM

You just explained it yourself, if the bar and the grips are the same size then you get the same affect.

It may be more convenient, but I prefer a bar to grips. It's just personal preference.

Knowledge of how to swing around like an idiot while doing pull ups doesn't count. I understand why you're upset though, no one takes crossfit seriously and you drive a $3000 car, I'd hate life too.

Minus bringing a fucken bar to the gym. Not only can you use the grips on a Olympic bar, they fit nicely on dumbbells, ez bars, fixed bars and the bar you use to do pull ups. I despise crossfit and also sorry I don't update my car status, that would have been the car when I signed up to this site. Probably close to 10 years ago!!

EDIT: Fat bars can be custom to so I can't really guess the size of the bar you use. But I highly doubt it's anywhere the size of the fat gripz

Hallowed_point
11-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Wrist curls, and reverse wrist curls. Let the bar roll right down to your finger tips so every rep involves closing your hand to lift the weight as well as the curl through your wrist. I like farmer carries with the heaviest dumbells you can physically stand on every walk. Get an old spring style bathroom scale and squeeze it with both hands to gauge your improvement.

My gym doesn't allow chalk so its a good motivator to work on my grip strength. I like to use the fattest bar at the gym for deadlifts, and am trying to double overhand the bar on every lift. I have to go with the mixed grip at the higher weights still but I'm improving slowly. Being in the trades helps with my grip strength too.

Some good advice here. I find wide grip pull ups and close grip chin ups (almost like bicep curls - close grip) are great for building grip strength. Especially if you don't use your thumbs to help. I do them almost every work day when I'm inspecting the building by using the cast iron sprinkler feeds as make shift chin up bars.

Tej.S
11-12-2014, 10:57 PM

Minus bringing a fucken bar to the gym. Not only can you use the grips on a Olympic bar, they fit nicely on dumbbells, ez bars, fixed bars and the bar you use to do pull ups. I despise crossfit and also sorry I don't update my car status, that would have been the car when I signed up to this site. Probably close to 10 years ago!!

EDIT: Fat bars can be custom to so I can't really guess the size of the bar you use. But I highly doubt it's anywhere the size of the fat gripz

Ddduke and I have had our differences in the past, but I don't see why you're bashing him for his personal suggestion. I'm not aware of what gym you go to, but it's actually quite common to see serious lifters bring their own equipment into the gym (thick bars, trap bars, etc). Just because you might not understand his reasoning, doesn't mean you should attack him for it lol, don't be ignorant.

Also, all of you preaching against the use of straps, why let grip be the limiting factor? Don't be so closed minded. There's numerous advantages to using straps if your grip strength is lacking. For the record, I don't use straps haha.

scboss
11-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S

t.

Also, all of you preaching against the use of straps, why let grip be the limiting factor? Don't be so closed minded. There's numerous advantages to using straps if your grip strength is lacking. For the record, I don't use straps haha.

I agree unless you are like 99% of people at the gym and just use straps because your grip is weak. I didnt even have to switch to over under grip for deads until i hit over 380.

unless you are doing olympic lifting acc movement there is really no need for them. Build it up with heavy shrugs, DB Rows and deadlifts!

scboss
11-15-2014, 03:52 PM

I explained why. You use fat grips, you don't bring a bar to the gym. You want grip strength you use fat grips not a oversized bar. The larger the grip the more forearm, something your oversized bar cannot achieve. But a simple grip you put in your gym bag makes much more sense.

If you compete in powerlifting you need to train with the bars you compete with or it will throw you off come competition day. You sir get very defensive hahaha 'you have nothing on my knowledge bro' Seriously? lol

heavyfuel
11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
^^ Knowledge shmoledge either way, everybody's body type/metabolism will never be 100% identical so past basics really you have to find what works for you and just do it. With so many people claiming to be experts, I prefer to just stfu.

What I'm doing is working for me and I'm not sharing lol

scboss
11-17-2014, 05:50 PM
^^ Knowledge shmoledge either way, everybody's body type/metabolism will never be 100% identical so past basics really you have to find what works for you and just do it. With so many people claiming to be experts, I prefer to just stfu.

What I'm doing is working for me and I'm not sharing lol

I am so far from being an expert lol

I agree 100% though.
When going from intermediate to advanced you gotta find your own way that works for you.

firebane
11-17-2014, 05:55 PM
I saw a guy at the gym the other day doing deadlifts with straps. He was physically using the straps to lift the weight. :nut:

Milk2%
11-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by warcaster

If you compete in powerlifting you need to train with the bars you compete with or it will throw you off come competition day. You sir get very defensive hahaha 'you have nothing on my knowledge bro' Seriously? lol

We go from lifting straps -> to working on grip strength -> suggestion to train strength (fat grips or bringing a bar to the gym...(still questionable)).. then talking about power lifting.

No way did i incline i was an expert. I just happen to have been there done that.

Back to topic like firebane suggested. Lift with form, then learn to lift huge. Grip strength follows.

Straps should only be used when you lift efficiently.