PDA

View Full Version : Best online knife retailer

OU812
10-29-2014, 06:01 PM
As the title says. I want to buy a new knife or two. Selection in store seems lousy so want to look online,

Want a tactical folding knife with spring assist ideally. Even though alot of people think theyre illegal theyre not depending on construction of opening mechanism.

Dont want to deal with boarder issues so ideally a canadian source.

Any suggestions?

TIA

BigMass
10-29-2014, 06:16 PM
ive used amazon.ca for knives before

msommers
10-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Warriors and Wonders is in Vancouver, lots of selection.

I ordered my ESEE knife through Bushcraft Canada.

Outdoor Pursuits Canada is based in Turner Valley but doesn't have a store front. I think you can arrange to meet though.

There is a store in North Hill mall but I forget the name, seems really great. There is another store on McLeod Trail but their prices were out to lunch.

Likewise didn't want to screw with border issues so stuck within Canada.

Adrenaline101
10-30-2014, 06:29 AM
CRKT has a few along those lines, few online dealers or I've been getting them through our Snap-on dealer.

CapnCrunch
10-30-2014, 07:38 AM
http://knifewear.com/

D88
10-30-2014, 08:25 AM
I've ordered a couple times from http://www.knifezone.ca/ which is based out of Saskatchewan. Their website is a little unorganized but the selection is good.

GQBalla
10-30-2014, 08:55 AM
http://beggknives.com/

never ordered but his knives are amazing.

Gman.45
11-03-2014, 05:18 AM
For within Canada, Warriors and Wonders, otherwise, BladeHQ from the USA.

You really, and I mean REALLY, have to watch for fakes made in China right now, they have flooded the market, and not just on Ebay and Amazon, but with a lot of dedicated knife shops too. If you follow edged weapon forums, you`ll already be aware of how widespread this particular issue is.

WW and BHQ have very high standards, and I've yet to hear many if any horror stories about fakes/replicas coming from them, so IMO they are the by far the safest route to go.

So far as a torsion spring assist knife, price range dictates what anyone would recommend, as well as purpose. If you want a dedicated "defense" knife, CRKT James Williams line of knives are among the best for the $ for a dedicated "weapon" with an edge. The Heiho, or Hissatsu outburst are among the better designs for fighting for under 100$.

For 200$ ish range, there are many offerings from SOG, Cold Steel, and others.

IMO if you want a truly good all round knife that can be used as a weapon purposefully as well, and you don't go with a James Williams type, then Zero Tolerance 300 series of knives are probably the best bang/$ IMO.

It really just comes down to price range and purpose. I have hundreds of knives, but I've collected them for 30+ years now, and only carry a couple regularly, and one of those is a Victorinox Keychain 24$ deal. The other I've had since the company started up, a Chris Reeve Sebenza, which is a noted pocket knife among blade enthusiasts. It's also 500$, or near enough now (it was 300$ when I bought mine). Like anything else, you get what you pay for, but I've found great knives for well under 100$ that I've purchased and been very happy with.

One thing of import - be sure you get a a knife with an appropriate locking mechanism. A good framelock with a folder is a must for any serious work, a liner lock or many other versions of locks may do with a smaller knife or a light purpose one, but if you're going to purchase and use a larger folding knife and expect any hard/serious use, be sure to consider going with a frame lock over most anything else. Also be aware of the materials used, some knives are made of titanium and the blades are made of higher quality steel than others, google around and get educated on what types of steel do what and are of what quality, and so on. S30v S60, 440, and so on - there are many, many options and types out there, and they can come with many different forms of edges, such as flat ground, and so on.