PDA

View Full Version : X5M and X6M

K3RMiTdot
10-30-2014, 12:09 AM
https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/IxKX66LXN1APujvtnJ1n_g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NTQwO2NyPTE7Y3c9OTYwO2R4PTA7ZHk9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD01NDA7cT03NTt3PTk2MA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/autos/2014-10-29/190ad1a0-5fbb-11e4-bd8e-854e60df111b_BMW-X5M-X6M-top.jpg

http://ca.autoblog.com/2014/10/29/bmw-unveils-2016-x5m-x6m/

This car will grow on me!

tehwegz
11-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I would rather SRT Grand Cherokee.

Unless you get those on a lease.

InRich
11-04-2014, 11:36 AM
X5M is one of my dream cars... My X5 M package is an absolutely amazing car... I love driving it, sometimes I'll take it out over my 427 on nice days in summer just cause I love it so much. for performance, safety, comfort, and overall driving pleasure, you wont beat it, with anything available in the market.

Far as the SRT goes... kid above probably never even sat in one, let alone driven one. I have, and let me tell you. going from the SRT, then back to sitting in my X5 afterwards, its not even a close comparison. NOT EVEN CLOSE I tell ya! go sit in both cars back to back, you'll know what I mean instantly.

killramos
11-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I never understood the point of these things aside from lining BMW's pockets...

They will never be as good as an M3/5/6 and they are expensive as hell. The COG is 6 feet off the ground, cant be spec'd with a toe package, and fall apart if they ever see dirt.

I am pretty sure mostly people buy them just to have the more expensive X5 than their neighbors...

:dunno:

Inzane
11-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by InRich
X5M is one of my dream cars... My X5 M package is an absolutely amazing car... I love driving it, sometimes I'll take it out over my 427 on nice days in summer just cause I love it so much. for performance, safety, comfort, and overall driving pleasure, you wont beat it, with anything available in the market.

Uh, you do realize you're talking about a sport utility vehicle right?

BavarianBeast
11-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Hands down the best SUVs. ML63/SQ5/7/ETC cannot touch it. The point of owning it is so you can have the space and luxury of an SUV with the performance of a sports car.

A tuned X5M/X6M will destroy a stock E9X M3 on the track, that's something to think about. I've taken corners hard as hell in my friends X6M and it does not handle like a SUV/Crossover at all. That twin turbo'd motor with M spec'd suspension is no joke.

revelations
11-04-2014, 12:00 PM
sometimes I'll take it out over my 427 on nice days in summer just cause I love it so much. for performance, safety,

Sorry but SUV and SAFETY do not go together at all.
SUVs are far more likely to be involved in single vehicle accidents due to their high centre of mass, increased inertia etc.

If I had to choose a year-round "safe" vehicle for Calgary, it would be a AWD hatch of some sort (hatches have stronger body structures generally than sedans).

bigbadboss101
11-04-2014, 12:06 PM
I saw a 40's Chinese lady driving one at T&T Market. Kinda of a waste :banghead:

Redlyne_mr2
11-04-2014, 12:11 PM
If you need an SUV, have a lot of money and want the best, this is what you buy. Regardless of what it can or cant do.

killramos
11-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Hands down the best SUVs. ML63/SQ5/7/ETC cannot touch it. The point of owning it is so you can have the space and luxury of an SUV with the performance of a sports car.

A tuned X5M/X6M will destroy a stock E9X M3 on the track, that's something to think about. I've taken corners hard as hell in my friends X6M and it does not handle like a SUV/Crossover at all. That twin turbo'd motor with M spec'd suspension is no joke.

You cant compare a tuned car to a stock car. There is basically no point. How would the tuned X5 M handle against your tuned M3?

Stock for stock the X5M was 3 fulls seconds slower than the M3 SEDAN around the top gear test track. That is quite alot.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
If you need an SUV, have a lot of money and want the best, this is what you buy. Regardless of what it can or cant do.

I think it is very important to consider what these cars cant do.

http://youtu.be/f8-NNEK1kGo

Great science project. Should have never went to production, goes against to many M fundamentals.

///Marketing

That being said the cars are very nice, and have their place. My argument is that their place is on dry pavement, in estate driveways and grocery store parking lots.

I cant link worth shit...

InRich
11-04-2014, 01:04 PM
are you guys fucked?!?

check this out and then tell me m3s are faster. and not just that. far as comfort goes, m3 vs x5, its not even competition. I barley fit in an m3 actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyOjgBUf-3I

VWEvo
11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by killramos
I never understood the point of these things aside from lining BMW's pockets...

They will never be as good as an M3/5/6 and they are expensive as hell. The COG is 6 feet off the ground, cant be spec'd with a toe package, and fall apart if they ever see dirt.

I am pretty sure mostly people buy them just to have the more expensive X5 than their neighbors...

You have obviously never driven one. Firstly, the new X5M is better than the previous generation. Secondly, if you read about the 2015 X5M it had the exact same time around the Nurburgring as the E92 M3. So not sure where your coming off saying it isn't as good. I would have no problem having an x5m in my stable. In fact the new X5M can do 0-60 as fast as my M5:drool:

Inzane
11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Why isn't anyone making the comparison between a tuned X5M vs. a tuned M5?

BavarianBeast
11-04-2014, 01:19 PM
^ Because they share the same engine, obvs the M5 is going to be faster.

Sugarphreak
11-04-2014, 01:25 PM

killramos
11-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
///Meh

If you wants a sports car, buy a sports car

If you want a hatch, get a hatch

If you want an SUV, buy something you can actually get muddy on occasion

This is a pretty expensive jack-of-all trades, yet master of none IMO

:werd:

Ca_Silvia13
11-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Sport trucks/SUV's are awesome. Perfect commuter for the family/winter and still get a sporty vehicle to drive.

Who the hell wants to cram 3 kids in an m3 in the winter?

Not all trucks and suv's are destined to be a mudder...

VWEvo
11-04-2014, 01:43 PM
I love how we have experts on how to spend other peoples money, lol.

killramos
11-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

Who the hell wants to cram 3 kids in an m3 in the winter?

Not all trucks and suv's are destined to be a mudder...

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/adv/image/1411/50/1411507010733.gif

No one is saying it should be a mudder. These shouldn't even really drive on a graded dirt road...

jaylo
11-04-2014, 06:52 PM
This new X5M and X6M will be out January 2015 (not the same one you see on the road today)

0-60 in 4 seconds about 5,xxxlbs and can match E92 M3 around Nurburgring

LOL on the comments about it is a wobbly high COG SAV (obviously you have not driven an X5M)

Old X5M 0-60 is 4.5 seconds

tehwegz
11-04-2014, 06:58 PM

Far as the SRT goes... kid above probably never even sat in one, let alone driven one. I have, and let me tell you. going from the SRT, then back to sitting in my X5 afterwards, its not even a close comparison. NOT EVEN CLOSE I tell ya! go sit in both cars back to back, you'll know what I mean instantly. [/B]

What year? I've sat in/driven a handful of MY14/15 SRT GC's. The interior isn't bad, but that's a mere afterthought when the launch control is absolutely mind boggling for an SUV. When you get in one and start it up, you know its special - you know its an SRT, especially since it says so on the steering wheel. The Hemi its running is incredibly potent. I forget what tires it was running all around, I want to guess 305's on all 4 corners based on the stance and rim size. Throttle so touchy, can't even hit the fun pedal in 1st or 2nd without worrying what the torque will do to your neck. They handle pretty damn good too.

Never driven an //M X5 but have with the regular X5. Nice interior for sure, and giant 325 rear tires because race SUV. The only good looking BMW SUV in my eyes.

colinxx235
11-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
This new X5M and X6M will be out January 2015 (not the same one you see on the road today)

0-60 in 4 seconds about 5,xxxlbs and can match E92 M3 around Nurburgring

LOL on the comments about it is a wobbly high COG SAV (obviously you have not driven an X5M)

Old X5M 0-60 is 4.5 seconds

+1 for this comment abou the COG and drive of that vehicle

it sure as hell does not feel like 5K lbs, and it is scary how fast it can corner... one special vehicle

max_boost
11-05-2014, 01:35 AM
Not sure how they drive but X5M easily nicest looking suv on the market IMO

E46..sTyLez
11-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by tehwegz

What year? I've sat in/driven a handful of MY14/15 SRT GC's. The interior isn't bad, but that's a mere afterthought when the launch control is absolutely mind boggling for an SUV. When you get in one and start it up, you know its special - you know its an SRT, especially since it says so on the steering wheel. The Hemi its running is incredibly potent. I forget what tires it was running all around, I want to guess 305's on all 4 corners based on the stance and rim size. Throttle so touchy, can't even hit the fun pedal in 1st or 2nd without worrying what the torque will do to your neck. They handle pretty damn good too.

Never driven an //M X5 but have with the regular X5. Nice interior for sure, and giant 325 rear tires because race SUV. The only good looking BMW SUV in my eyes.

The tires are 295's, and the new X5M smashes the srt in 0-60 (4.0 compared to 4.6)

T-Dubbs
11-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Are they putting the hellcat motor in the SRT jeeps in the future?

SkiBum5.0
11-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Glad these trucks are made but I wouldn't consider one. They're fast but ride firmer than I would want for a comfort DD. I'm in the camp of buy a sports car and a nice truck and have the best of both worlds.

killramos
11-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
Glad these trucks are made but I wouldn't consider one. They're fast but ride firmer than I would want for a comfort DD. I'm in the camp of buy a sports car and a nice truck and have the best of both worlds.

Exactly. If you are out of garage space and need to compromise maybe you should reconsider buying a $120k "SAV".

My problem is the car is compromise embodied. Its not better than an M5.

At least in the SRT, RR supercharged, G AMG you have the option of taking the vehicle off the pavement (or in the snow for that matter) if needed. All for a half a second quicker spirnt to 60?

You also cannot argue that the car doesn't have a high COG. It does, regardless of if it feels like it.

Also comparing lap times to the E92 M3 which has 133 less horsepower and a full 205 lb-ft less peak torque? RWD vs AWD? How does it compare to the new M3 with much more torque? How does it compare to a V10 R8 with much closer power numbers (still 100 lb-ft less torque) and AWD?

Again my position is "nice science project, should never have been put into production".

Strider
11-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Nail on the head.

Not sure why everybody is bitching about SUV vs sports car. The target demographic probably already has a sports car and needs a family hauler/grocery getter/winter beater - people like I'mRich and Jordan.

VWEvo
11-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Exactly. If you are out of garage space and need to compromise maybe you should reconsider buying a $120k "SAV".

My problem is the car is compromise embodied. Its not better than an M5.

At least in the SRT, RR supercharged, G AMG you have the option of taking the vehicle off the pavement (or in the snow for that matter) if needed. All for a half a second quicker spirnt to 60?

You also cannot argue that the car doesn't have a high COG. It does, regardless of if it feels like it.

Also comparing lap times to the E92 M3 which has 133 less horsepower and a full 205 lb-ft less peak torque? RWD vs AWD? How does it compare to the new M3 with much more torque? How does it compare to a V10 R8 with much closer power numbers (still 100 lb-ft less torque) and AWD?

Again my position is "nice science project, should never have been put into production".

Good thing you don't run BMW. Like I said previously you have obviously never driven one. I've owned an E46 M3, E93 M3 and now my m5. The launch of the X5M out of the gate is easily one of the wildest experiences.

jwslam
11-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Strider
people like I'mRich and Jordan.
:rofl: Awesome typo.

killramos
11-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Like I said previously you have obviously never driven one.

Yes you did say that. Apparently the only way to judge a car is to drive it? I haven't driven an X5 M and don't have interest in it either.

Did you track it?

We can make an argument that the only way to judge a car is to drive one on the edge on a racetrack?

The launch time of the E70 isn't much more spectacular than my 2 series on paper. And it isn't even a M car.

Also by your own argument if you haven't driven the new one you have no right to comment on it either.

This is a car forum. We are here to discuss cars, if specs aren't worth quoting why even follow announcements.

KRyn
11-05-2014, 01:39 PM

This is a car forum. We are here to discuss cars, if specs aren't worth quoting why even follow announcements.

Ahh good old bench racing, the best type ever!

killramos
11-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Ahh good old bench racing, the best type ever!

:thumbsup:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-05-2014, 01:55 PM
If I was rich I would need a luxobarge for trips with friends, it would probably be one of these.

VWEvo
11-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Yes you did say that. Apparently the only way to judge a car is to drive it?

Many would suggest that yes, that is the best way to judge a car. You just seem to be very opinionated about a vehicle you know nothing about. As for tracking it, actually that is when I fell in love with it. I was at a BMW Demo where they set up a track with a proper driver in it. It was absolutely amazing.

killramos
11-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Many would suggest that yes, that is the best way to judge a car. You just seem to be very opinionated about a vehicle you know nothing about. As for tracking it, actually that when I fell in love with it. I was at a BMW Demo where they set up a track with a proper driver in it. It was absolutely amazing.

So you watched someone else drive the car on said track then? Sat in the passenger seat?

Glad to know i can add a huge number of cars to the list that I am an expert on based on that information.

I know plenty about the car. I might not have driven it but that is where it ends.

Your entire argument is founded in the simple statement of "I like it" Congrats! :zzz:

VWEvo
11-05-2014, 03:50 PM

So you watched someone else drive the car on said track then? Sat in the passenger seat?

Glad to know i can add a huge number of cars to the list that I am an expert on based on that information.

I know plenty about the car. I might not have driven it but that is where it ends.

Your entire argument is founded in the simple statement of "I like it" Congrats! :zzz:

Haha, nice try. Yes I have actually driven it. I've driven pretty much every single BMW out there. Just when we were on the track they had a professional driver (neither of which you and I are) to show what this X5M is fully capable of while I sat in the passenger seat. Trust me, nor you or I can even touch the capabilities of our cars.

killramos
11-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Trust me, nor you or I can even touch the capabilities of our cars.

Finally something we can agree on :D

you&me
11-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
///Meh

If you wants a sports car, buy a sports car

If you want a hatch, get a hatch

If you want an SUV, buy something you can actually get muddy on occasion

This is a pretty expensive jack-of-all trades, yet master of none IMO

Completely disagree.

While it might be 'master of none', all cars are a compromise, especially ones who's purpose is something as broad as "daily driver".

Like VWevo, I used to have an F10 M5. With our child seat in the back, my wife's knees were in her chin when she sat up front, the back seat was crowded enough that another adult would feel cramped and the trunk wouldn't swallow much more than our chariot.

These are all issues specific to our situation, but they were also all alleviated when we switched to an SUV (first an X5M, then others since).

The X5M accommodated our child seat better, swallowed more baby-crap in the rear and had more room for passengers in the back seat. It's more than fast enough and handles well enough to still be 99% as entertaining as any sports-sedan, especially at the pace I'm willing to travel with my family in tow. When the wifey drives it, she can see better and feels safer (whether that's the case or not, her intangible feeling of 'comfort' isn't something you're going to change her mind on, so she might as well be happy).

For a family hauler, I'd far rather have a 'jack of lots of trades, master of none', than a 'jack of some trades, still master of none'. Since all vehicles are a compromise in one way or another, I'm happy to take one with the fewest compromises depending on it's intended duty and for (our) family-hauling, that's a fast SUV.

I prefer the Cayenne to the last-gen X5M, but am excited for the next version to arrive.

BTW, I don't care if it's a Range Rover, G63 or anything else... None of these performance SUVs with performance tires are going to be able to go very far off road...

InRich
11-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Damn it, did no one watch my video in my earlier post????!!??!!?!? PLEASE EVERYONE GO WATCH IT.

X5M goes off road, then goes on the track, then goes 1on1 with an m3...

X5Ms are FUCKING AWESOME!

^ I like everything you&me said above. Its actually what's keeping me from stepping into a new m5. kids probably gonna be coming sooner or later, I'm getting old.

And I cant stand the Ceyenne's styling, so I wont be going over there...

Can we all just agree, that BMW's are fucking awesome.. ;) best cars on the road IMO

max_boost
11-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Hey InRich, you and I, let's both go down and HELOC one. (in before anyone else says it). :werd: :thumbsup: :bigpimp: :burnout: :rofl:

bspot
11-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Can we at least all agree the X6M is awful?

It's like an X5M, but uglier, and less practical.

colinxx235
11-05-2014, 05:55 PM
^

New X6 actually looks pretty good in person, I was very very surprised. Previous one is blehhhhh

Killeramos really needs to go drive an X5 one day just to understand the feel. It is a vehicle that surprises you for sure.

killramos
11-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

New X6 actually looks pretty good in person, I was very very surprised. Previous one is blehhhhh

Killeramos really needs to go drive an X5 one day just to understand the feel. It is a vehicle that surprises you for sure.

I have sat in each generation and wasn't impressed personally. But that's beaide the point my main gripe is the M not the car itself. I cross shop it with the vw toureg and have a hard time liking the new one.

Just my opinion though.

colinxx235
11-05-2014, 06:26 PM

I have sat in each generation and wasn't impressed personally. But that's beaide the point my main gripe is the M not the car itself. I cross shop it with the vw toureg and have a hard time liking the new one.

Just my opinion though.

Sat in, like the show room? Cause I had a meh view at first, until I fired it up, seats instantly hug you. And then you hit a few ramps and your view changes instantly.

But even if the X5M notion bugs you, the X5 5.0 with sport/dynamic/M package is amazing and not an M. Much like your 235i with M performance get isn't an M2.

The X5 5.0 has similar tires and can handle like a monster. I think the point was lost where people thought that it was getting compared to as the same feel as a M3/M5. In Calgary it is a great all year vehicle, 4 sets of clubs or multiple hockey bags. 4 adults very comfy with gear etc. Blows the door off most vehicles in straight, corners better than lots of performance cars, awd, etc.

Its as described a convenient utility vehicle with space that just so happens to have similar performance numbers to an M3/M5 on a track/drag. But in no way does it feel similar at all. They are total opposite in terms of driving feel/room/cornering

killramos
11-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Sat in, like the show room? Cause I had a meh view at first, until I fired it up, seats instantly hug you. And then you hit a few ramps and your view changes instantly.

But even if the X5M notion bugs you, the X5 5.0 with sport/dynamic/M package is amazing and not an M. Much like your 235i with M performance get isn't an M2.

The X5 5.0 has similar tires and can handle like a monster. I think the point was lost where people thought that it was getting compared to as the same feel as a M3/M5. In Calgary it is a great all year vehicle, 4 sets of clubs or multiple hockey bags. 4 adults very comfy with gear etc. Blows the door off most vehicles in straight, corners better than lots of performance cars, awd, etc.

Its as described a convenient utility vehicle with space that just so happens to have similar performance numbers to an M3/M5 on a track/drag. But in no way does it feel similar at all. They are total opposite in terms of driving feel/room/cornering

The 5.0 is nice.

I actually think the M50d is promising tbh.

E46..sTyLez
11-06-2014, 04:08 PM
For those saying the X5M is nothing like a sports car, the 2010 X5M pulled 0.91g's on the 200ft skidpad, and the new version is supposed to be far superior to that.

Just for a comparison, the 0.91 that the 2010 pulled off is equal to a 2011 Sti sedan.

So long story short, it corners like a car. :thumbsup:

colinxx235
11-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
For those saying the X5M is nothing like a sports car, the 2010 X5M pulled 0.91g's on the 200ft skidpad, and the new version is supposed to be far superior to that.

Just for a comparison, the 0.91 that the 2010 pulled off is equal to a 2011 Sti sedan.

So long story short, it corners like a car. :thumbsup:

I stated it pulls the numbers. But as you previously stated you have driven in the e46, e9x' M3 and you've been in the X5M. Would you describe them as driving similar? To me the M3 is a huge difference in feel, but the speed it can hit an off ramp @ compared to the M3 is pretty much identical

E46..sTyLez
11-07-2014, 11:09 AM

I stated it pulls the numbers. But as you previously stated you have driven in the e46, e9x' M3 and you've been in the X5M. Would you describe them as driving similar? To me the M3 is a huge difference in feel, but the speed it can hit an off ramp @ compared to the M3 is pretty much identical

No...I didn't state that. I think it was VWevo. I've never been in an X5M

Xtrema
11-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I saw a 40's Chinese lady driving one at T&T Market. Kinda of a waste :banghead:

Like I saw a 60 year old lady with RS7.

Originally posted by bspot
Can we at least all agree the X6M is awful?

It's like an X5M, but uglier, and less practical.

X6M is pointless.

If I'm going for the space, I'll do X5M. If I want the look and uniqiness, I'll go M6 Grandcoupe.

X5M is a compromise. I rather have a base X5 that I can trash and a M5 for track instead of a X5M, as capable as X5M is.