PDA

View Full Version : Time to step up my pit stick game

schurchill39
10-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Generally I'm not a very smelly dude but I can be a pretty sweaty mess, especially in my always-to-hot office. I've been using Old Spice's Fiji antiperspirant since my university days but it's not cutting it anymore when I have to meet with customers regularly. I find myself not wearing certain dress shirts because of the inevitable hockey pucks I'll have under my arms by 10am. It seems to be a little bit better on nights I shower before bed vs. in the morning but I've found that even though I wear an under shirt it does not help at all.

So I ask all of my fellow sweaty bastards on beyond: what do you use to protect your pits?

JRSC00LUDE
10-30-2014, 07:43 PM
I used to be like that. Once I stopped using antiperspirants and just used a deodorant I started sweating way less. For real.

Tik-Tok
10-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I used to be like that. Once I stopped using antiperspirants and just used a deodorant I started sweating way less. For real.

Ditto. Youre blocking all your sweat glands using antiperspirant, making you hotter, and sweat more.

chathamf
10-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Yep I hate antiperspirant it don't work at all. Regular deodorant is the way to go. The white kind I prefer over the gel style stuff.

austic
10-30-2014, 09:52 PM
sounds weird but i pretty much chopped my armpit hair down to stubble and that fixed if for me.

xnvy
10-30-2014, 10:01 PM
^It's so itchy though, can't stand it.

Hallowed_point
10-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Don't shave your armpits. That hair is there for good reason. Without anything to absorb the sweat it will stain your shirts and you'll have beads of sweat running down your rib cage.

Maxx Mazda
10-30-2014, 11:36 PM
As much as I hate the "guido" stigma it comes with, the best antiperspirant (read: ) for ME is Axe. Tried Schpeed Schtick, Old Schpice, etc and nothing works as well for me as Axe.

G-ZUS
10-31-2014, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by austic
sounds weird but i pretty much chopped my armpit hair down to stubble and that fixed if for me.

This.

Originally posted by xnvy
^It's so itchy though, can't stand it.

First time or 2 it is, then it stops being itchy

GQBalla
10-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Don't shave the pits, just trim them.

If it's too hot in your office, get a fan.

use deodorant, anti antiperspirants are bad for you

JRSC00LUDE
10-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Trust me, switch away from anti-p and go to straight deodorant, give it 2-3 months. No more stained shirts and once your body readjusts you'll sweat less. If you're worried about it in between, stack a couple extra undershirts and a pack of baby wipes in your desk so you can freshen up midday!

And yeah, trim the hair. I don't think you'll often have issues with sweat running down your sides and it'll stop being a trapping point for bacteria (odour) to form in during the day.

littledan
10-31-2014, 10:09 AM
http://www.ca.all.biz/img/ca/catalog/27761.jpeg

Drysol works like crazy! It might not be healthy long run but you can use it here and there when you have a stressful day coming up.

You use this at night. Take a shower to get clean and dry yourself off extremely well. Right before bed apply to armpits and let dry. Wash off in the morning with another shower. Takes about 2-3 applications to kick in, but will literally stop your sweating completely. Make sure you apply only to dry skin as it reacts with water and can cause irritation. Let me know how it goes!

bjstare
10-31-2014, 12:27 PM
^Irritation is an understatement. sometimes that stuff burns like absolute hell haha

I used it a couple times, then realized that it's probably incredibly unhealthy for me. I stopped sweating out of my pits and started sweating more on my chest... not exctly an improvement haha

Mibz
10-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Trust me, switch away from anti-p and go to straight deodorant, give it 2-3 months. No more stained shirts and once your body readjusts you'll sweat less. If you're worried about it in between, stack a couple extra undershirts and a pack of baby wipes in your desk so you can freshen up midday!

And yeah, trim the hair. I don't think you'll often have issues with sweat running down your sides and it'll stop being a trapping point for bacteria (odour) to form in during the day. 2-3 months is a long fucking time. I tried switching back to deodorant and after a week I gave up. Shit was ridiculous, didn't do a damn thing. I have no problems with antiperspirant though, except having to replace some of my undershirts every 18 months.

sabad66
10-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Interesting conversation. I use the exact same stuff as OP and also notice it isn't working as well as it did in the past. Going to try switching to deodorant like you guys suggest and will see how that goes.

Definitely agree with trimming... i have some shitty $20 conair hair clippers from walmart with the #1 attachment that i use for this.

ercchry
10-31-2014, 12:43 PM
i've been using axe dry forever... says "deodorant and antiperspirant" on it... so a hybrid i guess? the solid is way better than the gels and clear shit, but then again im not really a sweaty person... essence is my scent of choice, its not anything like that fucking axe body spray that rules the hallways of junior high schools

Tik-Tok
10-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
its not anything like that fucking axe body spray that rules the hallways of junior high schools

... why are you in junior high school hallways? :rofl:

And why are so many of you nancy's trimming your pits? Fuck that shit, I'll be using it as part of my combover in a few years.

ercchry
10-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

... why are you in junior high school hallways? :rofl:

And why are so many of you nancy's trimming your pits? Fuck that shit, I'll be using it as part of my combover in a few years.

*ruled... who the hell knows what kids do now :rofl:

Seth1968
10-31-2014, 12:50 PM
That's one problem I don't have:)

Is there such thing as "armpit tampons"? Once side absorbs, the other side is plastic, and they would have to be washable.

JRSC00LUDE
10-31-2014, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
2-3 months is a long fucking time. I tried switching back to deodorant and after a week I gave up. Shit was ridiculous, didn't do a damn thing. I have no problems with antiperspirant though, except having to replace some of my undershirts every 18 months.

I dunno man, I went from sweating through shirts every day to almost never sweating at all. Also, 2-3 months was likely an exaggeration, I have no idea how long it took to adjust but not likely that much. :thumbsup:

schurchill39
11-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
That's one problem I don't have:)

Is there such thing as "armpit tampons"? Once side absorbs, the other side is plastic, and they would have to be washable.

I admit that I have stooped as low as t shoved some paper towel under my pits when I feel the sweat coming on before a meeting

theken
11-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Crazy as it is, I stopped wearing anything for a long ass time, I used to wear ap then switched to deodorant, then one day I forgot to put anything on, I stunk a bit, showered, didn't put anything on, stunk less, then gradually I stopped stinking, sweat way way less. Then I started jiu jitsu and wear deodorant as when I get a crazy sweat on i'll stink so deodorant Tuesday Thursday for me

idriveabox
11-03-2014, 07:47 AM
You can talk to your doctor about excessive sweating and see if it warrants a botox shot under the pits. The botox basically freezes the sweat glands. No, I have not had this done but my sister is a doctor and she used to get it. Works great apparently.

But start with real deodorant.

dirtsniffer
11-03-2014, 09:18 AM
I used to use AP and would sweat like a mess. Switched to deodorant and the problem is gone.

slinkie
11-03-2014, 09:39 AM
I have used Perspirex for many years now, same idea as that Drysol one posted above I think.

I don't even have a sweating problem or anything, I just like the idea of deactivating my armpits lol. Also the stuff I used before used to stain my shirts, which I'm not into. Now there is 0 odour or sweat ever. I could run a marathon in a parka and not sweat from there.

I haven't noticed any ill effects from it. Only use it about 1x a week at this point. Just be careful it will itch a bit if your skin is damp at all on application.

Disclaimer, never talked to a doctor about this, but my friend is a PT and says it seems like a very bad idea to use.

http://www.perspirex.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/perspirex-antiperspirant-roll-on-home.png

Pacman
11-03-2014, 10:27 AM
I also switched from anti-perspirant to regular deodorant and found I sweat less and none of my shirts get stained under the arm pits.

CompletelyNumb
11-03-2014, 11:28 AM
The white stick kind (either deodorant or antiperspirant) always stain my shirts. No matter how thin I put it on.

Best AP I've used was an Old Spice high endurance clear gel. Cant find it anywhere anymore, just the damn sticks.

Deodorant I still sweat, it just smells less.

And I trim with a #2

schurchill39
11-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Its funny how many people actually report sweating more with an AP than they do with deodorant when an AP is supposed to stop the sweating.

I picked up some deodorant and am going to give that a shot. If it means I can start to wear some of my dress shirts again and not just a polo every day then I'm game.

schurchill39
01-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Just a follow up. I switched to deodorant for two months now and am no longer sweating through shirts. Thanks beyond!

JRSC00LUDE
01-11-2015, 01:45 PM
And no more stains! :thumbsup:

Maxx Mazda
01-11-2015, 07:08 PM
I'll try switching to DE once my AP tube runs out and see if it makes a difference.

revelations
01-11-2015, 07:20 PM
I stopped using AP years ago after actually reading the ingredients - Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex = :(

Sugarphreak
01-11-2015, 10:50 PM