PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Winter Recovery thread. If you get stuck, we can help!

spikerS
11-02-2014, 12:06 PM
In continuation with the success of the previous years we have done this, and the recent snowfall, I am reviving the winter recovery thread for this winter.

Past threads:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/375485/2013-winter-stuck-recovery-thread-if-you-need-help-call-us-first/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/362196/winter-stuck-recovery-thread-2012/
lfrjeuaqESk

Basically, this is a resource available Beyonders that end up needing a boost, pulled out of the ditch, even just a warm vehicle to sit in while the professionals arrive. If anyone wants to participate, it is wide open. The service is provided free of charge, however, buying of coffee, or some gas as thanks would be more than welcome.

Rules:
For people needing help:
1: Anyone on here is NOT a professional. The people on here are usually very knowledgeable, and understand proper techniques. If any damage occurs, they are not liable.

2: Anyone that you contact is taking time out from their lives to come and help, and understand that they can't always drop what they are doing.

3: Before calling, decide if it is safe to have one of us assist, or if it is better suited to call a professional. IE: stuck in the ditch along Deerfoot, don't call us, call a tow company that can shut down a lane if needed. If it is not safe for us, we won't do it.

For anyone wanting to help:
1: If it is not safe, DON'T DO IT!
2: If you are not comfortable, DON'T DO IT!
3: If you don't have the right equipment, DON'T DO IT!
4: If you don't know the proper technique, DON'T DO IT!

Some contact numbers for professional towing companies:
City Wide Towing
(403) 287-0026

AMA Roadside Assistance
1-800-222-4357

For those of you wanting help, remember, we are not professionals, and as long as you ask for the help, if something happens to your vehicle, we are not liable for it. We have actually checked with insurance and legal, and it is true. If you are not willing to take that risk, please call a professional.

If you are interested in helping, PM me or post here, and I will update this post with everyone's contact info. Please try and form everything with the template to make it easy on me.

Name: spikerS (Chris)
Coverage area: North of Glenmore to Airdrie
Vehicle: 2012 F-150
Recovery Gear: Tow Straps, transferable recovery points, booster cables, basic tools, traction aides.

Name: FraserB (Fraser)
Coverage area: Pretty much anywhere in Calgary
Vehicle: 2008 Sierra
Recovery Gear: Tow Straps, transferable recovery points, booster cables, tools, traction mats

vengie
11-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I would 100% be interested in offering my services, however is there a chance we could do a beyond meetup for PROPER methods of extraction?

FraserB
11-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm in again Spikers; truck this year, no Jeep.

@Vengie, probably a good idea. Make sure people are using the right gear is always a good idea. I'm only around until tomorrow night, then back on the 13th.

EvolutionVape
:clap:

spikerS
Absolutely! If anyone wants to learn proper recovery techniques, there are a few of us on here that could teach the basics, so that you can be prepared for something like this.

vengie
11-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
Absolutely! If anyone wants to learn proper recovery techniques, there are a few of us on here that could teach the basics, so that you can be prepared for something like this.

I would be interested in something like this, also what would be the bare minimum equipment needed? Tow strap, clevices, avalanche shovel?

FraserB
11-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by vengie

I would be interested in something like this, also what would be the bare minimum equipment needed? Tow strap, clevices, avalanche shovel?

If you have time later today or sometimes tomorrow, I can give you an overview and show you what I carry on a daily basis.

spikerS
11-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by vengie

Basic equipment in my opinion should be:

10,000lbs or more recovery strap
Clevis hooks, get a few of different sizes.
I carry a 15L rubbermaid tub of pea gravel from the CoC for traction

Those alone will cover 90% of the recoveries you come across.

Bonus things:
Shovel
booster cables
winch
traction pads

With all that, you should be able to recover everything you come across that does not require a professional.

If anyone wants to go over the basics, Let me know, I will make myself available to give some instructions and what not so you can do this safely.

horobosu
11-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Any recommendations on places to buy a quality recovery strap?

Sugarphreak
11-02-2014, 04:42 PM

spikerS
11-02-2014, 07:12 PM
yeah, Princess auto is my goto place.

I would recommend their 3" x 30' recovery strap, I believe it is rated for 18000lbs.

and then get an assortment of clevis hooks. I prefer these because you are creating closed loops, and nothing can slip off, versus hooks.

Sugarphreak
11-02-2014, 10:19 PM

faiz999
11-03-2014, 03:39 PM
just want to say that what you guys are doing is awesome and while i hope i don't get stuck this winter, it's nice knowing there are ppl around willing to help others out.

cheers!

spikerS
11-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Shackles + Tow Strap + Recovery Strap

Tow straps are for slow and precise recovery, the recovery straps have some stretch and are good for yanking people out of mud. Shackles are used at truck ends only, if you link straps together do so by looping them, not with a shackle.

Straps should be sized 1.5 to 2 times your trucks weight, the shackles should always be rated higher than the straps.

http://www.trailersparesdirect.com.au/Portals/0/d%20shackle.jpg

Agreed.

Your tow / recovery strap should be your weak link and should anything fail, it should be this. If either end fail, you have the possibility of a clevis hook flying through the air.

vengie
11-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Would anyone be interested in meeting up next Sunday??

spikerS
11-03-2014, 03:49 PM
I would be willing to do a quick workshop Sunday evening if there is enough interest. I would prefer it if Fraserb, andyL or Berserkercatsplat were there as well to lend their knowledge as well.

I know I pretend to be a know it all, but ... :D

FraserB
11-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I can do any day from the 14th to the 17th

Boosted131
11-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Spikers what was the word about damage to other people's vehicle? I've never had anything damaged from all the recoveries but just wondering what the insurance/police would say if someone stuck had their vehicle damaged and tried to get the money out of you for it.

Sugarphreak
11-04-2014, 02:07 PM

FraserB
11-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Spikers what was the word about damage to other people's vehicle? I've never had anything damaged from all the recoveries but just wondering what the insurance/police would say if someone stuck had their vehicle damaged and tried to get the money out of you for it.

If you offer to help someone and they accept, you won't be liable for any additional damages that the car incurs during the recovery. Regardless of who hooks the car up.

If you yank out an unattended car and damage it, you're on your own to cover it.

spikerS
11-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131

As per maskedbandit, you are in the clear as long as the other person asks for the help. However, as freak said, either have them hook up their end, or you do it and ask them if they are ok with that spot.

btimbit
11-07-2014, 11:12 PM
In as always.

Name: btimbit (Brandon)
Coverage area: South of Glenmore to High River
Vehicle: 2012 Sierra 3500HD & 2010 Silverado
Recovery Gear: Tow Straps, transferable recovery points, booster cables, tools, warmth, coffee.

Alak
11-08-2014, 08:18 AM
I'd say I'm in but I'm not always in town (I work rotation). That being said if one of you guys need a little extra help with a little more weight, I'd be more than happy to help with my 1 Ton.

Bseries-teg
11-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Count me in.

Name: Matt K
Coverage: south calgary but will travel if I have the time.
Vehicles: 1992 4Runner + 2003 Silverado
Equipment: tow straps, clevise hooks, transferable recovery point, shovels, tools, booster cable

Mostwanted
11-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Name: Kristoff R
Coverage: NE Saddle ridge area or nearby, Evenings, Royal Vista Area 8-5
Vehicles: 99 4Runner
Equipment:Tow straps,Booster Cables,Shovel, Front and rear D-Ring Shackles, Winch, Recovery Straps

spikerS
11-09-2014, 08:59 PM
^^ I doubt someone has a truck that can fit a 4 runner in their bed, but I think a few people have flat deck trailers...

Bseries-teg
11-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Count me in.

Name: Matt K
Coverage: south calgary but will travel if I have the time.
Vehicles: 1992 4Runner + 2003 Silverado
Equipment: tow straps, clevise hooks, transferable recovery point, shovels, tools, booster cable

BerserkerCatSplat
11-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I remember people talking about getting orange strobes for added safety during recoveries last year, if anyone's still looking Princess Auto has one on sale for $29.99, regular $69.99.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Auxiliary-Lighting/12V-72-FPM-Warning-Light/4250028.p

ExtraSlow
11-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Just a heads up, there are regulations about using those amber strobes on a highway.

spikerS
11-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Just a heads up, there are regulations about using those amber strobes on a highway.

such as?

because I found this...

(3) A vehicle, other than a tow truck, that is operated by an
association whose purposes include helping a person whose vehicle
is stopped on a highway or by a towing business, a service station
or a garage may have amber warning lamps that are visible from all
directions outside the vehicle.

cars5431
11-09-2014, 10:13 PM
I can help people in nw

Name: Tejay h
Coverage: north west calgary/west calgary
Vehicles: 2014 silverado, with studded tires all around
Equipment: tow straps, transferable recovery point, shovels, tools, booster cable

ExtraSlow
11-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Province of Alberta
TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT
VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION
Alberta Regulation 122/2009
Division 4
Flashing Lamps
Prohibition
24(1) A person shall not drive or operate a vehicle that has a
flashing lamp unless the flashing lamp is allowed or required under
this Regulation or another regulation under the Act.
You can read it yourself, but basically, you need to be an emergency response vehicle to use flashing amber lamps on a vehicle on a highway.
Useful links:

Alberta Vehicle Equipment Regulations - Queens Printer - PDF LINK (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.qp.alberta.ca%2Fdocuments%2FRegs%2F2009_122.pdf&ei=OzxgVLBCw67IBID_gbAB&usg=AFQjCNFfK170Fsm164vaUZt9kxSh6N9o-Q&bvm=bv.79189006,d.aWw)
Amber Lamps on Emergency Vehciles - PDF LINK (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.transportation.alberta.ca%2FContent%2FdocType41%2Fproduction%2Famberlampsonemergencyvehicles.pdf&ei=SjxgVM2hEIj2yQTb94G4DQ&usg=AFQjCNF2tBRtquNpjo3BjOrQ7siIWKYZow&bvm=bv.79189006,d.aWw&cad=rja)

ExtraSlow
11-09-2014, 10:26 PM
This is the section that covers "other" vehicles.

Originally posted by Province of Alberta
TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT
VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION
Alberta Regulation 122/2009
Other vehicles
34(1) The flashing lamps allowed under this section must be
amber and visible from all directions outside the vehicle.
(2) A vehicle that is used in highway construction, inspection,
maintenance or safety investigation may have flashing lamps and
may have them on only when the vehicle is being used in highway
construction, inspection, maintenance or safety investigation.
(3) A vehicle that is used in land surveying or survey control may
have flashing lamps and may have them on only when the vehicle
is being used in land surveying or survey control.
(4) A vehicle that is used in inspecting, monitoring, maintenance
or other matters concerning environmental protection may have
flashing lamps and may have them on only
(a) if the vehicle is driven or operated by employees of the
Government of Alberta who are under the administration
of the Minister of Environment and Sustainable Resource
Development,
(b) when the vehicle is stationary, and
(c) if the vehicle is being used in matters concerning
environmental protection.
(5) A vehicle that is used in seismic exploration may have flashing
lamps and may have them on only when the vehicle is being used
in seismic exploration and is stationary.
(6) A vehicle that is servicing public utilities may have flashing
lamps and may have them on only when the vehicle is stationary
and servicing public utilities.
(7) A vehicle that is used for emergency duties at an airport may
have flashing lamps.
(8) A vehicle that is used for forestry inspection may have flashing
lamps and may have them on only when the vehicle is being used
for forestry inspection.
(9) A vehicle that is used in animal control may have flashing
lamps and may have them on only if the vehicle
(a) is driven or operated by a person who is employed by or
under contract to the Government of Alberta, the
Government of Canada or a municipality, and
(b) is being used in controlling animals located on or in the
vicinity of a highway.

Tik-Tok
11-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

(7) A vehicle that is used for emergency duties at an airport may
have flashing lamps

Every vehicle on the airside needs an amber flashing light, not just emergency vehicles.

And with that being said, I drive groundside with the beacon still on all the time, driving by the CPS Traffic Section station at least 6 times daily and have never once been pulled over for it.

Seriously, the cops don't give a shit about amber beacons. Just don't be an idiot and put red or blue up there.

Sugarphreak
11-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Unknown303
11-10-2014, 08:43 AM
So should we become associated so we can run beacons?

spikerS
11-10-2014, 08:45 AM
LOL, Beyond Volunteer Rescue Association

ExtraSlow
11-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Hey, I'm not saying cops will care, I'm just saying it's against the letter of the law.
Now you know:
http://www.atfmb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

Sorry about the sidetrack, please carry on.

Mostwanted
11-10-2014, 10:12 AM
^^ I doubt someone has a truck that can fit a 4 runner in their bed, but I think a few people have flat deck trailers...

yeah sorry meant flat deck trailer:rofl: but yeah if you guys know anyone that will take me there for a reasonable price im down to throw some cash :D

btimbit
11-10-2014, 11:36 PM
For what it's worth, two years ago I pulled an RCMP car out of the ditch near Okotoks and he said I should get a beacon if that was something I did often. My understanding was as long as you weren't using it while in motion you were okay.

AndyL
11-11-2014, 10:16 AM
I want to find a set of led strobes like I had last year... But brighter than last years ;)

They worked good at night, just sucked in the daytime.

btimbit
11-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Not going to bother with any strobes. Thought about it and used to have some, but really if it's a busy or dangerous enough road for that to really be necessary, it's probably one I'd leave to the professionals.

btimbit
11-28-2014, 10:42 PM
That was a productive evening.

Also a bad day to forget my shovel

spikerS
11-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Any thoughts about creating a new thread this year? or should we just let this fizzle out?

btimbit
11-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Any thoughts about creating a new thread this year? or should we just let this fizzle out?

Was thinking of it the other day. It's a great idea, but I've only been contacted by a beyonder looking for help twice in the last 3 years.

I'd be in as always, still love the idea

TomcoPDR
11-19-2015, 09:26 PM

Would be cool if someone could replicate the uber style app, but for ppl offer/needing a tow.

speedog
11-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Would be cool if someone could replicate the uber style app, but for ppl offer/needing a tow.
Just use Twitter and #yycneedtow ?

killramos
11-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Actually seems like a really good idea if it was implemented properly. Could setup a token payment within the app. like 5-20 bucks a tow depending on distance to person in trouble or something. Still a ton cheaper and quicker than a tow truck?

The biggest problem, like uber, would be insurance. But i imagine the liability of pulling someones vehicle out of a snow bank wouldn't be that expensive?

Utow haha

spikerS
11-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by killramos

Actually seems like a really good idea if it was implemented properly. Could setup a token payment within the app. like 5-20 bucks a tow depending on distance to person in trouble or something. Still a ton cheaper and quicker than a tow truck?

The biggest problem, like uber, would be insurance. But i imagine the liability of pulling someones vehicle out of a snow bank wouldn't be that expensive?

Utow haha

And have Nenshi and his cronies come after us? :rofl:

I think I will probably start another thread for 2015 / 2016 later today.

killramos
11-20-2015, 09:09 AM
Tow service should be easier since its not a regulated service? Or is it?

AndyL you are now the expert!