PDA

View Full Version : HID fog lights and where to go in Calgary?

Boosted_TL
11-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Looking to upgrade the factory halogen's to HID's at 6000k and have the HID headlight bulbs changed to match 6000k

Any good insight on who to purchase from?

Its for an Infiniti FX45

supe
11-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Have you considered LED's? Probably cheaper and in theory more reliable.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-lights.html

mr2mike
11-04-2014, 03:53 PM
I have a second pair of H3's brand new from ddmtuning I could sell you.
I bought a few as the H3s are common and saved a bit more on shipping as it wasn't cheap.

Otherwise, go for ddmtuning.com get the 35w kit for your fogs. 55w will probably melt the housing.
Just ordered a set of hids from xenon depot to install for a co-worker. It's been a month and still back ordered so I can't say they've been good to deal with.

I'm out of town till Saturday but you can PM me if you have more questions.

blubs
11-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Have had really good luck with the EV HID's from Prizm Innovations here in Calgary. Always bought Plasti Dip from them, and figured i'd give them a try. Never had a single issue with them, and the guys there seem to be more then willing to help.

Installed them in my truck, mini truck, snowmobile, etc.

BlueHaloGirl
11-05-2014, 12:43 PM
You can also try Fineline Customworks in the SW. Got all my HID's from them.

heavyD
11-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Why in the world would anyone want HID fog lights? Only reason I can think of is that you want your car to look like a Christmas tree blinding oncoming traffic. Fog lights aren't supposed to be bright. Kids are so annoying.

Boosted_TL
11-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks for some of the reply's! Points me in the right direction.

As for the other comment. Mountain driving at night, which I do quite a bit of in the winter month's certainly feels safer with a beautifully lit up road. I would assume any ass hat behind the wheel would have enough common courtesy to shut off the fog lights within the same nature of shutting off the "high beams" once an oncoming car's lights are within view. Having a nice headlight and fog light setup enables you to not need the usage of the high beams.

Kids may be annoying, but old pricks certainly seem to drip self righteous opinions which is counterproductive and is higher on the annoyance scale.

?????
11-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Thanks for some of the reply's! Points me in the right direction.

As for the other comment. Mountain driving at night, which I do quite a bit of in the winter month's certainly feels safer with a beautifully lit up road. I would assume any ass hat behind the wheel would have enough common courtesy to shut off the fog lights within the same nature of shutting off the "high beams" once an oncoming car's lights are within view. Having a nice headlight and fog light setup enables you to not need the usage of the high beams.

Kids may be annoying, but old pricks certainly seem to drip self righteous opinions which is counterproductive and is higher on the annoyance scale.

Figured an FX45 would have factory bi-xenons.

Why go with a 6000k if you want a beautifully lit up road? Why not 4300k?

Fog lights and high beams light up different parts of the road how can you compare them?

JustinMCS
11-05-2014, 04:57 PM
If you want a beautifully lit up road, you're doing it wrong.

Higher the kelvins, the lower the output. Don't go for ricer blue, go for bright white. 4300k-5000k is where you want to be. I dont see why you need to do your foglights if you have factory bixenon headlights, but up to you.

freshprince1
11-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I had yellow HID's put in my Subaru by Vex Performance.

Disoblige
11-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

Higher the kelvins, the lower the output. Don't go for ricer blue, go for bright white. 4300k-5000k is where you want to be. I dont see why you need to do your foglights if you have factory bixenon headlights, but up to you.
This.

slinkie
11-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Yeah I would not replace your nice OEM philips or w.e with some 6000k ebay bulbs. If you really want to, go with Xenarc CBIs or something.

Boosted_TL
11-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by ?????

Figured an FX45 would have factory bi-xenons.

Why go with a 6000k if you want a beautifully lit up road? Why not 4300k?

Fog lights and high beams light up different parts of the road how can you compare them?

Ya it does have factory bi-xenons and are 4300k but to be honest the output to me, is not amazing. Figured 6000k was still white with a tinge of blue... I am not very well versed when it comes to this stuff.

I def dont want the "ricer' look as for whatever reason I thought 8000k was that look. Appreciate the advise, I will look for more 5000k to stay as OEM as possible.

You figure just leave the fogs hey? Both lenses are cracked so I figured upgrade a little....

Boosted_TL
11-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
Yeah I would not replace your nice OEM philips or w.e with some 6000k ebay bulbs. If you really want to, go with Xenarc CBIs or something.

I was looking at Morimoto XB35 6000k bulbs. But from the sounds of it... 5000k is a better choice if the desire is to stick to OEM which is the route I would like to go with.

JustinMCS
11-05-2014, 06:52 PM
I upgraded to the Osram Xenarc CBI bulbs in my OEM setup.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36407-New-Osram-D2S-Bulb-Xenarc-Cool-Blue-Intense

You can read more about it there and why it's so awesome. They are now OEM bulbs in a lot of cars.

HiSpec
11-05-2014, 07:27 PM
I upgraded to the Osram Xenarc CBI bulbs in my OEM setup.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36407-New-Osram-D2S-Bulb-Xenarc-Cool-Blue-Intense

You can read more about it there and why it's so awesome. They are now OEM bulbs in a lot of cars.

:werd:

CBI is the go to 5000K bulb for a long time in the HID world.

OP, If you want the OEM 4300K, go with Xenarc Nightbreaker (replacing SVS). There's also the Philips WX if you still insist on 6000K.

But remember, 4300K will always provide the brightest output.

If you must go with HID in your fogs, go with 3000K (MORIMOTO 3FIVE 3000K).

Rocket1k78
11-06-2014, 11:16 AM

:rofl:

I'm sure its been done for awhile now but lately ive gotten the pleasure lots to be in front of jacked up trucks with hids in the head and fogs:banghead:

heavyD
11-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Let's be clear. You are looking to modify your vehicle in a manner that makes you a douchebag to other drivers. I'm not being self-righteous. I'm speaking up for the common driver that doesn't care to be blinded by pricks like you.;)

Hallowed_point
11-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
:rofl: I'm sure its been done for awhile now but lately ive gotten the pleasure lots to be in front of jacked up trucks with hids in the head and fogs:banghead:

It's tough to see when you're 10 feet off the ground! :banghead:

slinkie
11-06-2014, 05:50 PM

I was looking at Morimoto XB35 6000k bulbs. But from the sounds of it... 5000k is a better choice if the desire is to stick to OEM which is the route I would like to go with.

I have those for my retrofit, 5000k, they are pretty good

tomt64
11-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Looking to upgrade the factory halogen's to HID's at 6000k and have the HID headlight bulbs changed to match 6000k

Any good insight on who to purchase from?

Its for an Infiniti FX45

http://southrnfresh.com/2013/06/why-adding-a-hid-kit-to-your-car-with-non-projectors-housing-makes-you-a-ricer/

Don't be that douchebag.

Boosted_TL
11-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Ya i'd be changing to a projector housing if going that route. The fogs would be used for certain night conditions (non city usage). Never did I mention they would be used 100% of the time. But obviously people just jump to their own conclusions.

My fault for thinking I could utilize this forum without it completely going off rails... I do appreciate the participants who shared credible info.

:drama:

avishal26
11-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

:rofl:

I'm sure its been done for awhile now but lately ive gotten the pleasure lots to be in front of jacked up trucks with hids in the head and fogs:banghead:

me too! what the f is the point of driving around town with fog 6000 / 8000 k HIDs on all the time??!

As for OP - 4300 - 5000k light is the brightest, but 6000k might seem like its brighter just because its more noticeably white. You will see better with 4300 / 5000k. You don't need projector housing if you purely plan to use them off-road or outside city with no traffic.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-06-2014, 11:38 PM
That does it. I'm buying a LED bar to face backwards out my rear window.

I highbeam every asshole I see but enough is enough.

?????
11-07-2014, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
That does it. I'm buying a LED bar to face backwards out my rear window.

I highbeam every asshole I see but enough is enough.

Don't be overzealous though. I have a perfect cutoff(properly adjusted) with no leak and I still get high beamed once in a while. Some people can't differentiate between high beams and road angles.

If i'm on a bumpy road from oncoming traffic, your coming from over a hill, or sitting at an intersection tilted up i'm going to be blinding you temporarily.

Alphazone
11-07-2014, 02:07 PM
the FX projector is pretty good.. if anything its either you need new bulbs in there or a clear lens... no need to add HIDs to fogs.. and 6k low beam doesnt help either... assuming that the FX45 was equipped with OEM HID's

rp_guy
11-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Don't be overzealous though. I have a perfect cutoff(properly adjusted) with no leak and I still get high beamed once in a while. Some people can't differentiate between high beams and road angles.

If i'm on a bumpy road from oncoming traffic, your coming from over a hill, or sitting at an intersection tilted up i'm going to be blinding you temporarily.

Yup, I usually wait to see if I am continuously blinded or just temporarily (due to road angle) before I high beam them

I have 3000k HIDs in the hella micro de projector housing. If you want it functional, the more yellow the better. If you want look, do whatever you want.

Disoblige
11-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Yeah, you cannot fault someone if they're on an angle or something. I make sure to take that into consideration.

Slightly off topic, but I found something that's on par if not more annoying than HID's in halogen housings. It's people in regular cars who drive with high beams on, completely clueless to the fact. I've seen a lot of those even just last week and it's like they think they're meant for the night or something.

slinkie
11-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Always seems to be newer civics ^ maybe something about the switch being easy to hit ?

msommers
11-07-2014, 02:43 PM
6000k is not white, it has a blue tinge and is not as effective because it doesn't have as long of throw, it just seems like it because the area in your immediate 10ft is brighter and this pointless. Your eye is drawn to shorter distances and anything farther on is not well lit and commonly out of sight and mind (literally). 4300k is the most ideal but 5000k is a close second. I have Osram SVS bulbs in my projectors and they work well with a fairly conservative Denso ballast for longevity and reliability reasons.

HID fogs probably have too much scatter unless you can aim them. I was asking about this last year and Clem supplied some great information.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Disoblige
11-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
Always seems to be newer civics ^ maybe something about the switch being easy to hit ?
Yeah, I mostly see them in the newer civics! And with those cars when you are looking at them, it is easy to see that their high beam is on.

rp_guy
11-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Yeah, I mostly see them in the newer civics! And with those cars when you are looking at them, it is easy to see that their high beam is on.

I believe it's because the vehicles do not have automatic lights, and what you're seeing is the DRL's (high beam @ 50% - easy check is to see that their tail lights are not on).

Something I hate about these cars is that the dash lights up when the low beams aren't on. So the driver thinks they have auto lights when they actually do not.

Disoblige
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by rp_guy

I believe it's because the vehicles do not have automatic lights, and what you're seeing is the DRL's (high beam @ 50% - easy check is to see that their tail lights are not on).

Something I hate about these cars is that the dash lights up when the low beams aren't on. So the driver thinks they have auto lights when they actually do not.
They're high beams for sure because their low beams are on too and the high beams are significantly brighter than the low. Not to mention the obvious lack of a cutoff.

03ozwhip
11-07-2014, 03:58 PM
You're a real prick for thinking about your safety boosted_tl. A real prick.

msommers
11-07-2014, 04:23 PM
If safety driving mountain roads at night is a concern, I think money invested elsewhere would be more effective. Fogs just don't have the throw and width a quality bixenon high beam pattern can put out. If you're really concerned I would suggest a roof mounted light bar or spot lights in addition.

I do plenty of night driving in the mountains and forested areas with wildlife plentiful. My proper HID setup has served me incredibly well with the factory fogs not really doing much of anything truthfully.

Just hate to see money wasted.

Boosted_TL
11-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
You're a real prick for thinking about your safety boosted_tl. A real prick.

Some peoples children hey....

Originally posted by msommers
If safety driving mountain roads at night is a concern, I think money invested elsewhere would be more effective. Fogs just don't have the throw and width a quality bixenon high beam pattern can put out. If you're really concerned I would suggest a roof mounted light bar or spot lights in addition.

I do plenty of night driving in the mountains and forested areas with wildlife plentiful. My proper HID setup has served me incredibly well with the factory fogs not really doing much of anything truthfully.

Just hate to see money wasted.

Fair enough. This is the kind of post I was looking for / or a shop to share the same info as I already mentioned the lack of experience in this topic. I think the FX bi xenon is a good setup but the bulbs are quite old (i am assuming)

I'll try the 4300 or 5000k in the headlights and thats that. The fog light housing has cracked so I would like to replace those with a nice projector style fog, purely cosmetic. I don't really care for a nice headlight setup and fogs that don't match. Personal preference, which is why I mentioned HID fogs....but obviously that had knives thrown at me.

Thanks for all the help guys!

GTS Jeff
11-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Osram CBIs are definitely the way to go.

I see some for sale: beyond marketplace (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=387347)