PDA

View Full Version : Spam phone calls?

Kobe
11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Sorry for making so many stupid and useless threads lately, but I keep getting calls from

1-403-870-1449 (this one says I won a trip with westjet)

and

1-403-870-4715 (Mike Howard is the voice mail I get when I call back) I'm assuming its not the actual number it's calling from since it was a different voice.

Both numbers do not work when you try to call and have called me 4 times in the last 24hrs.

I finally picked up today and told the guy 2 stop calling, he said they wont stop until I buy his package, I told him 2 fuck himself and will put his number on Kijiji to get non-stop calls but the number can't be reached..

I'm sure they will call back again, suggestions on how to fuck with them or get them to stop calling next time I get a call from them?

Mitsu3000gt
11-05-2014, 05:17 PM
If you have an Android phone you can just get an app that will block calls/texts from any phone number you want. Not sure about iOS. That way the maximum times you will ever have to deal with an annoying caller is one. Far less effort than trying to get revenge.

infamous
11-05-2014, 05:19 PM
iphones are even easier as it allows you from the factory to block numbers from calling/texting :D

rage2
11-05-2014, 05:22 PM
The numbers are all spoofed. Takes the first 3 digits of your number and a random 4 digit number. That's why when you call back its someone random.

Mitsu3000gt
11-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by infamous
iphones are even easier as it allows you from the factory to block numbers from calling/texting :D

That's awesome, must be fairly new. I always thought you needed an app regardless.

killramos
11-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The numbers are all spoofed. Takes the first 3 digits of your number and a random 4 digit number. That's why when you call back its someone random.

Yup they do it to target company phones etc where a company buys a big block of numbers. When I see someone with my first 3 digits I answer just in case I am getting an after hours call for erp or something.

It's always the stupid westjet client people...

no incentive from anyone for the problem o be fixed.

Your cell company makes money off the
Minutes...

infamous
11-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

That's awesome, must be fairly new. I always thought you needed an app regardless.

nope, even my ancient iphone4 has the capability. just click on the info button beside the number, scroll to the bottom and click "Block caller"

:clap:

realazy
11-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Exactly, I've had my work phone ring with actual company caller ID showing up because they luckily spoofed a real number in the company.

botox
11-05-2014, 05:40 PM

I tried to explain this to someone who called my daughters phone to tell her to stop calling them. They didn't get got mad then hanged up :rolleyes:

On iphones you can also setup a do not disturb list. If they are not on the list, the call won't go through.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Android phones have been able to do that for a long time as well - I remember first doing that on my Galaxy S. However, the app solutions on both iPhone and Android seem to make managing the blocked numbers a bit easier.

dj_rice
11-05-2014, 05:53 PM
I get these all the time as well. As well as winning cruises. They even call my work line a few times.

As Rage2 stated, if the number has the same 3 digits as your number in the front and random 4 digits at the end, its prolli a Spam call.

They even fooled me good one time when the Caller ID shows a David Xiao and me being Asian, I thought it was a legit call.

16hypen3sp
11-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Hahaha... my ex-gf had a SpoofTel account from her time in Vancouver...

Myself and my friends had fun with it. We've since grown up.

But yeah, I always get the WestJet call.

Fly Fishin'
11-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Tell them this is a non emergency internal police number. It works for about a month but I block them.

TomcoPDR
11-05-2014, 06:30 PM
I get the fake westjet calls too. I think the real westjet should take it as a PR opportunity, and actually give away free trips to those that take the time to answer.

Kobe
11-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Just got a phone call on the home line... asked if I was 30.. Next time they call going to tell them an internal police number..

Edit; They called again, I said I am the Calgary police station and he said I'm so sorry sir, have a good night and hung up...

Let's see if this works...

Fly Fishin'
11-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Don't specify calgary police, could be impersonating an officer. I just say police internal. It will work for about a month till they call back.

rage2
11-05-2014, 07:24 PM
I just fuck with the callers. Throw on a fap sound video in the background and talk in a low tone. Throw in some grunts for effects.

The dudes seems to hang up faster than the chicks haha.

Kobe
11-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
Don't specify calgary police, could be impersonating an officer. I just say police internal. It will work for about a month till they call back.

And I'm going to get in trouble for this? After they have called 7 times in 24hours and annoying the fuck out of me, looked at my home phone there is 45 missed calls.

If the police want to give me crap for this they should do something about them harassing me consistently with the phone calls IMO...

Sugarphreak
11-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Fly Fishin'
11-05-2014, 07:55 PM
I used to tell them that I would use my vacation to fly to their lovely country and then find them and tare their thumbs from their hands! But you get odd looks in the white collar world.

I only say don't refer to it as calgary as there could be for some odd reason a problem, but other than that fuck with them how ever you can. It's open season year round.

MGCM
11-05-2014, 08:14 PM
i also get these same bullshit calls, im pretty fukin fed up with it. Nobody is doing a damn thing about it.......ok well lets start doing something, more than just blocking. Cmon, with the combined resources of all the members from beyond there MUST be something more we can do to strike a blow against these losers. I swear if I ever met a person who did this I would lock them in a 4x4 room hanging from their feet with an old school phone on the floor ringing and ringing and ringing. I would leave them there until they have gone mentally insane, then release them back to the public, and they can tell their friends what happens to assholes like them. Eventually after the first 1000 or so ppl that are caught and put thru this, the maddnesswill slowly dissapear, and peace can be had once again.

I dare to dream:thumbsup: do you?

Fly Fishin'
11-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Burn down what ever country is generating the calls. Think about how many calls are made every day.

DeeK
11-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Android phones have been able to do that for a long time as well - I remember first doing that on my Galaxy S. However, the app solutions on both iPhone and Android seem to make managing the blocked numbers a bit easier.

My android OS phone (Jellybean 4.3) doesn't do this to my knowledge, and all of the apps I've tried have done absolutely nothing.

How do you block numbers using the OS on android?

What apps work for blocking?

Fly Fishin'
11-05-2014, 09:22 PM
I go into my call log and push the bottom left button and scroll down to "block number". Note3

SQ2
11-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Westjet is asking everyone to report the calls. No clue if it'll actually help to stop them though! http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/story.html?id=10355787

ddduke
11-06-2014, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure where I got the idea from but I like to fuck with them for an extended period of time like this:

I pretend to be interested, talk for a minute or 2, get buddy buddy then claim my daughter is calling and ask them to hold.

Put them on hold 5-7 minutes and go on with my regular business.

Get back on, talk a bit more, give some false info (if they ask), bullshit about how my daughter is having trouble at school and how I apologize for the long wait but I'm really excited in his product. Do this for another 2-3 minutes, then claim my daughter is calling again.

Get back on, go on with giving them false hope/info claiming I'm really interested in their product. After a minute or so I throw in something along the lines of 'man, kids can be tough, especially at 10, do you have any kids?'. Now if they're a decent salesman they'll say yes and coincidentally they'll be within 2 years of yours (they always do this), I then ask him something disgusting about his child like 'do you mind if I finger bang your daughter?'. They instantly realize I've been fucking with them for 20+ minutes and instantly hang up or tell you to go fuck yourself.

A few years ago web site developers from out east would call me almost daily and it got so annoying I just started wasting their time the way they wasted mine.

SKR
11-06-2014, 08:23 AM
2dy9lUJJGqI

killramos
11-06-2014, 08:24 AM
If you stay on the line long enough the westjet robots turn into real people? I have never had enough patience to wait that long :rofl:

n1zm0
11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Yup they do it to target company phones etc where a company buys a big block of numbers. When I see someone with my first 3 digits I answer just in case I am getting an after hours call for erp or something.

Yeah it's especially crazy because this robocall system is rudimentary enough that it literally calls all our numbers at once, you'll hear everyone's phones ring all at once. At least that's when you know it's not worth it to look at the phone screen.

spike98
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM

New versions of android do this stock as well.

ercchry
11-06-2014, 01:04 PM
the worse is when you get other people calling you saying you called them and just dont get it.... "no, it was a spoofed call to sell you something" ...click

flipstah
11-06-2014, 02:51 PM
I never get calls about SPAM. I'd love to receive a call all about SPAM.

One day.

Swank
11-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know of any person who has bought something from an automated call like this in the past decade? How do they stay in business?!?

Hanzo
12-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Anyone getting bombarded by calls from north and south carolina??

I get daily calls from 843-310-0097, 336-608-3476, 919-429-8495 since a couple of weeks ago. And today I finally picked up one of the calls and some person said, "is this <my real name>?" and I said yeah, who is this? And they hung up.

Should I be concerned? Identity theft?

ExtraSlow
12-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I got a call from Australia last night. I assume it was spam too.

16hypen3sp
12-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Here's a new one...

My phone starts vibrating so I take a look who's calling. It was my girlfriend but I couldn't answer it at the time so I let it go to voicemail. About 30 seconds later it gives a short vibe for a voicemail. I quickly check it visually and it says new 1 voicemail. A little while later, I have some time to listen to it and its a fucking WestJet spam call!

They spoofed my girlfriends number??? Happened about 2 weeks ago.

C_Dave45
12-20-2014, 08:40 PM
If you have an Android phone you can just get an app that will block calls/texts from any phone number you want. Not sure about iOS. That way the maximum times you will ever have to deal with an annoying caller is one. Far less effort than trying to get revenge.

Android is like that. At least my S5 is. Click on number..."add to reject list".

Same with text messages. Click on number "add to spam list".

Came default with the phone. No app required.

codetrap
12-20-2014, 08:55 PM
What I don't understand is that Telus/Rogers/Bell etc all KNOW what exchanges they own. So how hard is it to set up some logic that says, "If the caller ID says it's originating from a known Canadian Exchange, but it's originating from an interface belonging to a foreign exchange, block the fucking call"..

Seriously, it's like a basic ACL on an interface to prevent spoofing...

Swank
12-22-2014, 03:05 PM
There could be many reasons for them not to do this:

Cost - it would cost money to put in place and not make them any - in fact, they would lose money from the people who pay for call blocking from these numbers.

Laziness - this would be considerable work to set up, probably more work than to put up with complaint calls about it.

Apathy - Telus/Rogers/Bell don't care about this problem, at least not enough to do anything about it, maybe because the CRTC seems to have the same level of concern.

Ways around it - if they were to set this up, these spoofing companies could get a dirt cheap SIP trunk set up to make these calls originate within a local exchange and the calls would proceed.

quick_scar
12-22-2014, 03:38 PM
So funny story relating to this. GF's dad starts getting calls from "Microsoft" with a heavy Indian accent saying he has a virus on his computer. He calls their bullshit and hangs up. Calls come about once a day, usually around supper time, and he starts getting annoyed. One night he gets the bright idea to fake an Indian accent and mess with them. Needless to say he got about 15 phone calls over the next 2-3 hours. The moment he picked up, they would just hang up.

Calls from "Microsoft" have since stopped. lol

R!zz0
12-24-2014, 05:58 PM
I haven't got a call yet, but if and when i do i will use the "Taken line" on them

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you hang up now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you"

I just hope he doesn't say "Good luck" at the end :rofl:

Lex350
12-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
I'm not sure where I got the idea from but I like to fuck with them for an extended period of time like this:

I pretend to be interested, talk for a minute or 2, get buddy buddy then claim my daughter is calling and ask them to hold.

Get back on, talk a bit more, give some false info (if they ask), bullshit about how my daughter is having trouble at school and how I apologize for the long wait but I'm really excited in his product. Do this for another 2-3 minutes, then claim my daughter is calling again.

Get back on, go on with giving them false hope/info claiming I'm really interested in their product. After a minute or so I throw in something along the lines of 'man, kids can be tough, especially at 10, do you have any kids?'. Now if they're a decent salesman they'll say yes and coincidentally they'll be within 2 years of yours (they always do this), I then ask him something disgusting about his child like 'do you mind if I finger bang your daughter?'. They instantly realize I've been fucking with them for 20+ minutes and instantly hang up or tell you to go fuck yourself.

A few years ago web site developers from out east would call me almost daily and it got so annoying I just started wasting their time the way they wasted mine.

I did this sort of thing 3 times and the calls have now stopped.