PDA

View Full Version : Interview follow up question

3drian
11-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Hey there Beyonders, I have one question regarding interview follow up questions, hoping someone here could point me the right direction.

I recently had two interviews with two oil and gas companies in Calgary, one on Oct 26th and one on the 31st. Now I am aware most positions state that only successfully candidates will be contacted, and if I am not contacted for an interview I should not try to email the employer.

That being said, is it a good idea to contact them if I did not hear from them after the interview? or should I just assume I was not the selected candidate for the position? I am going insane checking my email or looking at my phone for updates, any advice is greatly appreciate.

know1edge
11-05-2014, 09:11 PM

KO22
11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
^ What know1edge said...

Immediately after or don't bother.

Dumbass17
11-05-2014, 10:09 PM
^^^ +1

J-D
11-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 3drian
Hey there Beyonders, I have one question regarding interview follow up questions, hoping someone here could point me the right direction.

I recently had two interviews with two oil and gas companies in Calgary, one on Oct 26th and one on the 31st. Now I am aware most positions state that only successfully candidates will be contacted, and if I am not contacted for an interview I should not try to email the employer.

That being said, is it a good idea to contact them if I did not hear from them after the interview? or should I just assume I was not the selected candidate for the position? I am going insane checking my email or looking at my phone for updates, any advice is greatly appreciate.

Did you ask in the interview when they expect to make a decision?

woodywoodford
11-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Here's what I've learned after being on both sides of the table - never send the email right after (I'll usually wait until 10ish that night), and don't ask for their decision. The first sounds like you didn't take time to consider what was discussed in the interview, the second makes you sound needy. All you want to do is remind them you exist, as it's incredibly easy to forget candidate number 4 of 8 on Tuesday afternoon, and also show them you paid attention to what they had to say and that it has you even more excited. In other words try to very briefly address what you think they were emphasizing in the interview.

ie., "Hey (interviewer), just wanted to drop a quick note to thank you for seeing me earlier today. I'm very excited about this opportunity. I know this job is going to have a steep learning curve, but with this designation and that work experience I'm confident that I'll be up for the challenge. Thanks again,"

Obviously gauge the casual/formal tradeoff by the interviewers demeanor, and your specifics will vary. Short, sweet, something they can read on their blackberry screen. Again, you want to remind them who you are, and that you're still interested and paid attention. No more, no less.

Also....if you interviewed on the 31st, you're being way too impatient....most first rounds last at least a couple weeks. Longer if its a busy season. And it doesn't hurt to ask for a timeframe on their hiring process either!

3drian
11-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I am aware I just had the second interview, I was more concerned about the first one, in both cases they told me they will contact me in 3-4 days.

That being said, I think I screwed up by not sending an email after the interview, I did send one after the interview invitation, but not right after.

I really appreciate all the comments, tons of good information to keep in mind for future interviews, and based on that I guess it is too late to follow up on both cases.:banghead: :banghead:

It kills me to think that I might have missed my chance by forgetting to send the 'thank you for the interview' email, Ill just have to keep waiting and hope for the best :banghead:

Once again thanks for all the helpful information.

J.M.
11-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Don't sweat it man, there are always other chances.

wintonyk
11-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Here's what I've learned after being on both sides of the table - never send the email right after (I'll usually wait until 10ish that night), and don't ask for their decision. The first sounds like you didn't take time to consider what was discussed in the interview, the second makes you sound needy. All you want to do is remind them you exist, as it's incredibly easy to forget candidate number 4 of 8 on Tuesday afternoon, and also show them you paid attention to what they had to say and that it has you even more excited. In other words try to very briefly address what you think they were emphasizing in the interview.

i

If you have to remind them exist... you aren't going to get hired.

I have only emailed once after an interview. Actually phoned. And that was to let a second company know that I had accepted a job and withdrawing my application.

Depending on the position, they could be interviewing 20+ people. I was talking HR of an O&G and once indeed.ca gets ahold of a job post she said she can easily see 100+ applicants especially for jr eng roles.