PDA

View Full Version : kitchen -- hardwood or tile

vkesava1
11-06-2014, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone,

i am building a new home, any thoughts about flooring on main fl ? very specific to kitchen ?

is it better to go with hardwood on the entire floor including kitchen?

or should i go with tile.

sorry to ask too many questions guys, I am first time home buyer.

Thanks for your help and input. Thanks again

03ozwhip
11-06-2014, 08:05 AM
I put hardwood on my whole main floor and regret doing it, it gets dirty so fast and it's dark so it shows everything. If I were to do it again, I would do tile in the kitchen.

C_Dave45
11-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Go with both!!! Put in porcelain tile "planks" (http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/want-indestructable-waterproof-hardwood/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345876&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2). Waterproof, scratchproof, and standing on it you wouldn't know it wasn't hardwood.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/want-indestructable-waterproof-hardwood/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345876

Ask Tik-Tok...we just installed porcelain hardwood into his kitchen. With in-floor heating, no less!!!

(these aren't his kitchen. He had even nicer plank tile!)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1425.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1427.jpg

Cos
11-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Neil4Speed
11-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Have you guys considered LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile), I always associated it with Lino so thought it would be cheap feeling. I was surprised at how much it feels like wood, with much higher durability.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I have hardwood, wish it was tile. Those tiles Dave posted look perfect. what's a square foot ballpark for those?

Tik-Tok
11-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Ask Tik-Tok...we just installed porcelain hardwood into his kitchen. With in-floor heating, no less!!!

Yeah, the stuff you guys installed is freaking amazing. Especially the heated floor with the chill in the morning these days :D

I still owe you some pics Dave, but I haven't finished the kitchen yet, I still have the baseboard to go, but Mrs.Tok has me painting pretty much the entire upstairs right now first.

Here's a close-up of the planks though.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/DSC00001.jpg

turbotrip
11-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Do the hardwood-tile or just tile in the kitchen- don't do hardwood!

flipstah
11-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, the stuff you guys installed is freaking amazing. Especially the heated floor with the chill in the morning these days :D

I still owe you some pics Dave, but I haven't finished the kitchen yet, I still have the baseboard to go, but Mrs.Tok has me painting pretty much the entire upstairs right now first.

Here's a close-up of the planks though.

That's porcelain? Damn, that looks awesome. :eek:

But yes to tile in the kitchen and hardwood elsewhere. Hardwood in the kitchen will show wear very quickly.

samo147
11-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Go with both!!! Put in porcelain tile "planks" (http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/want-indestructable-waterproof-hardwood/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345876&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2). Waterproof, scratchproof, and standing on it you wouldn't know it wasn't hardwood.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/want-indestructable-waterproof-hardwood/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345876

(these aren't his kitchen. He had even nicer plank tile!)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1425.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1427.jpg

do you guys just tile over plywood for floors? I thought it was recommended to tile over a cement backerboard or is that overkill unless its for a shower etc.

tsi_neal
11-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Have you guys considered LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile), I always associated it with Lino so thought it would be cheap feeling. I was surprised at how much it feels like wood, with much higher durability.

Installed luxury vinyl plank at my old house, amazing product. If you use a reasonable quality material it will look and feel as good as a high end laminate, be 100% waterproof, and more durable. Not as 'nice' as wood, but much more lifestyle (kitchen, kids, dogs, etc.) friendly.

Love the tiles Dave posted, will have to remember this for the next time.

I'm a big fan of the same type of flooring throughout a level, transitions can be ugly. Wood is nice but not always pracatle.

Lex350
11-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

We sell this stuff at work. (different division) The high end product looks fantastic. It is what I'm considering doing next year. I have an installation going on this week. I will try and get some pics.

That said, if you are doing hardwood, consider doing some kind of tile border around where the sink and dishwasher are. I did this at my last place on the edge of the island with the sink and dishwasher. I helps for all the water spills that can damage the hardwood over time.

C_Dave45
11-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Cos

This would be my plan if I had the cash.

We have hardwood in our place for the kitchen. I'd rather tile but tile will also get cold. Depends if you can afford in floor heating or not. My biggest complaint is WHEN we drop something it will damage it. We spend enough time in the kitchen that it is just a matter of time.
Damage what, the porcelain tile?? You wouldn't damage it by dropping stuff on it. You could give it a few smacks with a hammer before you damaged it.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I have hardwood, wish it was tile. Those tiles Dave posted look perfect. what's a square foot ballpark for those?
starts at about $18 /Sq ft, installed.

Originally posted by samo147

do you guys just tile over plywood for floors? I thought it was recommended to tile over a cement backerboard or is that overkill unless its for a shower etc. overkill. Concrete board adds no structural strength to your floor. And when used in a shower you still have to waterproof it...it's not waterproof.

Glad you're loving the floor Jeff! Looks awesome! !

JamMan23
11-06-2014, 03:12 PM
I have this throughout my entire main floor:

http://www.wicanders.com/en/collections/vinylcomfort/the-collection/Tobacco-Pine/452/

It's not expensive, looks great, and is super durable. It's basically a cork floor with a layer on vinyl on top.

Tik-Tok
11-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

But yes to tile in the kitchen and hardwood elsewhere. Hardwood in the kitchen will show wear very quickly.

Although I'm 100% for tile in the kitchen (and had to fight the mrs tooth and nail to do it, lol), I do have to disagree on the durability of hardwood there.

Prior to our reno this summer, our entire main floor, including the kitchen, was hardwood. 5 years ago we have the entire thing sanded right down, and refinished.

Asides from dog/cat scratches there was no excessive wear in the kitchen at all. 10+ years might be a different story, but it doesn't happen quickly thats for sure.

Mind you we also had real hardwood, not the engineered/pre-finished stuff.

msommers
11-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Wow that tile is incredible! Had no idea it existed lol. How do you match it exactly to the hardwood in the rest of the house? They just make that many choices or is it custom?

Tik-Tok
11-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Wow that tile is incredible! Had no idea it existed lol. How do you match it exactly to the hardwood in the rest of the house? They just make that many choices or is it custom?

The stuff in my house is only available in about 5 colours, lol. Right now it's quite the opposite of the rest of our floor. We were hoping to refinish the hardwood in a darker stain, but we pretty much have run out of reno money at this point.

flipstah
11-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Although I'm 100% for tile in the kitchen (and had to fight the mrs tooth and nail to do it, lol), I do have to disagree on the durability of hardwood there.

Prior to our reno this summer, our entire main floor, including the kitchen, was hardwood. 5 years ago we have the entire thing sanded right down, and refinished.

Asides from dog/cat scratches there was no excessive wear in the kitchen at all. 10+ years might be a different story, but it doesn't happen quickly thats for sure.

Mind you we also had real hardwood, not the engineered/pre-finished stuff.

When I was browsing around, I noticed it a lot in kitchens with wooden floors. Lots of fade and scratches where people would drop things. Maybe it was laminate or engineered wood because you can definitely sand and refinish real hardwood.

Then again, it's in places where they wear their outdoor shoes all over the house.

Crazy white people. :rofl:

Tik-Tok
11-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Crazy white people. :rofl:

We walk in our bare feet pretty much anytime we're home, lol. Hence the heated floor in the kitchen :D

G
11-06-2014, 05:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9NF4qkW.jpg

Masked Bandit
11-06-2014, 05:49 PM
If I had it to do all over again I would never pick a dark hardwood. Every stupid little piece of dust or crumb shows up. I would have gone lighter in colour and probably tile in the kitchen. I'm loving Dave's examples of tile that looks like hardwood. Where the hell were you six years ago Dave?

blitz
11-06-2014, 06:39 PM
We're going on 5 years with real hardwood in the kitchen and it looks good, no problem with moisture or dents. I always find flooring transitions in open concept houses sort of weird looking.

turbotrip
11-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by G
http://i.imgur.com/9NF4qkW.jpg

was this house for sale? or did you build it. I feel like I've been there before when we were looking

Cos
11-06-2014, 10:56 PM

G
11-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

was this house for sale? or did you build it. I feel like I've been there before when we were looking

We built it. Took 5 month our possession is next week.

CapnCrunch
11-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
If I had it to do all over again I would never pick a dark hardwood. Every stupid little piece of dust or crumb shows up. I would have gone lighter in colour and probably tile in the kitchen. I'm loving Dave's examples of tile that looks like hardwood. Where the hell were you six years ago Dave?

+1. I hated my dark hardwood. Smudges, dust, even footprints everywhere.

ExtraSlow
11-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Had dark laminate in my first house. Vas beautiful for five minutes after you cleaned, then ugly the rest of the time. I think a nice medium shade is pretty liveable.

msommers
11-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah a medium colour such as a rosewood or mahogany (or something to that effect) is really nice. Brightens things up enough, stays fairly clean looking and isn't cheap looking like a spruce/pine/IKEA flooring - I think often it's referred to as 'natual' colour.

z24_wheels
11-07-2014, 10:09 AM
We are hoping to do glue-down cork tile in the kitchen, some sort of wood in the living room, dining room and front "library" with tile in the front entry, bath and laundry.

Any thoughts or opinions on the glue down cork? We have tile now and find it too cold and hard. Not baller enough for infloor heating.

What about transitions between the different types of flooring?

CapnCrunch
11-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Yeah a medium colour such as a rosewood or mahogany (or something to that effect) is really nice. Brightens things up enough, stays fairly clean looking and isn't cheap looking like a spruce/pine/IKEA flooring - I think often it's referred to as 'natual' colour.

It's a good idea to get a wood thats stained close to it's natural color, that way chips and scratches blend in.

Back on topic, I think tile in the kitchen is the only way to go, although wood floors do feel a little nicer on the feet. When you consider things like spills, a leaking dishwasher, and dishes / utensils falling onto the floor then tile is the best choice.

turbotrip
11-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by G

We built it. Took 5 month our possession is next week.

congrats! is it a Lupi Luxury or Crystal Creek home by any chance?

Waldi
11-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Had a hardwood in the kitchen in old house, it was oak and real hardwood not engineered one. Nice thing about it it was warm and very forgiving when you dropped things. After 12 years or so ther was a bit of discoloration in the area around counter that was used on daily basis.
New home has tile and it does look nice but is very unforgiving, you drop something, if it is glass - gone, if it is metal (pots), dents. Tile is holding well and looks very clean (light color).

So between those two type of floor, I would say it is strictly preference for color and functionality; if you want to have light floor tile is the annser, if you don't care about light color, you can use hardwood. Both perform very similarly and you can always refinish hardwood after wear shows up.

S-FLY
11-17-2014, 11:42 AM
If it's an open concept, I'd carry the hardwood into the kitchen so that there's no transition.