PDA

View Full Version : LF: Plumber, New Hot Water Tank, Water Softner

Env-Consultant
11-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Was greeted this morning by a nice big puddle around my hot water tank extending ~10 feet out. PRV and drain were bone dry - after some quick research, I believe it's an interal leak. I read that it could potentially be condensation, but the amount of water and continual leaking leads me to believe otherwise. Haven't had time to investigate much further yet.

It's a Rheem and was installed in Nov 2007 (guessing no warranty?).

Looking for a plumber to replace the tank (likely), as well as install a water softner (likely).

Let me know if any of your are or know a good plumber that carries good products - looking for someone that is fair priced, knows exactly what they are doing, and will be available sooner than later.

Thanks!

The_Penguin
11-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Just had this done yesterday.

Our 2 JH (GH?) Wood heaters were going on 14 years old, and way overdue for replacement.
Mrs. Penguin has been wanting a softener for years. Was considering Costco and doing it myself, but we have old poly pipe, and looking at the layout of the plumbing, it looked like more fun that I really wanted to have, so decided to do the tanks and a softener at the same time.

Had read elsewhere here that Pete had good reviews. Mrs. Penguin made the arrangements and talked to Pete himself, said he was very helpful.

Got 2 new Rheem 40 Gals and a Softener from Pete the Plumber. They showed up on-time and did a great job. Took longer than I thought, so made me feel better about not doing it myself.
The guys were polite, clean, and everything looks great.

Total cost was just north of 3k (fairly high-end softener, the name eludes me at the moment)
They bypassed the kitchen sink cold tap, fridge hookup and 2 outside hoses.

So far so good, would highly recommend.

Lex350
11-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I used pete the plumber for my water tank last year despite the fact his commercials make my ill. I was very satisfied with the job and price.

reese
11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
I called around when this happened to us earlier this year..."Pete the Plumber" was the quickest to repsond and the cheapest... if you can get it done during their regular business hours, you will save a few hundred bucks... after hours is deemed emergency and they tack on premiums....

unless you know a plumber personnaly, pete the plumber may be your best bet.