PDA

View Full Version : Reputable place to buy a used truck in Calgary.

hightimes
11-06-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm new to Calgary and in the market for a 3/4 tonne truck with less than ~100k on it. I'm sure there's plenty of decent options out there so if anyone has specific places to avoid that would help as well.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Tik-Tok
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Avoid anywhere that sells used cars, also avoid anywhere with "Gallery" in the name, or anywhere that uses Z's instead of S's.

Eg, "Gallery of Fine Cars", or "Treadz"

Also avoid International Motor Cars, they were previously South Deerfoot Suzuki, a quick search will show you why, lol.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Virtually all the independant used vehicles places are scumbags in this town. The calgary market is flooded with overpriced former field trucks. Just throw an air freshener in it, wash the outside and spray armorall everywhere in the inside, good to go!

Could look at one of the leasing shops like Summit (formerly Shaw). They get some nicer trucks that are well optioned out (like a for a foreman etc.).
Dealers, well, they have thier good and bad points. Not normally going to get a totally destroyed truck at a dealer, they prefer to auction those off.

What features, years, engine, price are you looking at? That'll help narrow it down.

The market for pickups is very strong here, so not liekly to find many "hidden gems". Heck, even wholesale auction prices are quite high. Depending on incentives and finance rates, it can often make sense to buy brand new.

G-ZUS
11-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Osman Motors

ExtraSlow
11-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Also, don't be scared of the 100,000 km mark. It's not magic, trucks don't fall apart at that mark if they've been well cared for. Many companies try to trade in trucks around that mileage, so there is a much larger selection in the 120-150,000km range. If those are highway miles, I'd take that over a truck with 50,000 km of lease roads.

hightimes
11-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Really appreciate all the input.

To give you some specifics, I've just been hired on as a MWD consultant so I will be using it for that. I've never done the work before but from what I understand the majority of my KMs will be highway with some driving on lease roads.

As far as features go I'm pretty much looking for the cheapest truck that will get the job done. I'm willing to pay as much as I have to in order to get a truck that won't be giving me constant mechanical issues but at this point I have no interest in things like leather/nav/upgraded wheels/unnessesary power etc.

As far as price I really don't have a set limit. I will be financing it and paying it off with the Kms that I'm paid. I just want to get a truck that makes the most sense economically for the line of work I'm in. I figure that would be something used in the $25,000-$35,000 range, at least 2008+ and with low enough Kms that I could get a couple years out of it. Ideally I want something that gets the job done hassle-free and allows me to pocket some of my travel pay rather than putting it all towards the truck.

r3ccOs
11-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I know a guy who can hook you up...

he brokers trucks... in fact I know 2 guys, pm me for details

stillworking
11-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Unless you know someone or referred by someone, just look around privately. This way you don't need to pay dealer markup or risk getting a 5 dressed up as 10.

You also have a much better chance of being able to verify the story and service history.

On Kijiji/Autotrader My uncle just sold his MINT 2012 Laramie Ram 3500 Diesel, with 20K for a few thousand less than we all thought he could get for it. 47ish I think.

Compared to his 2004 3500 Ram Diesel the MPG's were terrible so he sold it and bought a 2014 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI. Justifying it on the MPG's and 'luxury' of the Longhorn interior.
Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2014, 05:12 PM
If you are financing, your monthly payments on a used truck will be about the same as on a new truck die to the difference in interest rates.

Buy yourself a copy of the Calgary Sun, and look at the truck ads, they'll show you what your payments will be.

freshprince1
11-06-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm reputable! Selling my 2011 F-150 EcoBoost. It's only a 1/2 ton, but gets awesome mileage on the highways. PM me if interested!