PDA

View Full Version : Condo flooring reno, laminate or vinyl? Tile demo?

whiskas
11-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I live in a highrise condo with a concrete subfloor. The layout is fairly open, so we don't want to mix several different flooring types or it'll look weird.

We currently have carpet in the living room and this nasty tile that goes everywhere else in the condo (kitchen, entry way, bathroom). We plan on living here for the next 3-4 years so we are doing this partly to increase the value of the condo unit.

We have 2 options:

Option 1: Tear up the tile, level the concrete subfloor and lay laminate on top. The laminate will go into the kitchen, entryway and living room.

- Pros: Don't have to worry about height clearance for kitchen appliances.
- Cons: Tearing up tile costs big $$$$, laminate can be risky to have when installed in a kitchen

Option 2: Leave the tile, pour some self leveler onto the tile and lay LVP (vinyl) on top of the tile. The living room where the carpet is will need to have ass loads of leveler poured to bring the subfloor up to the same level as the tile.

- Pros: Vinyl is safer to use in the kitchen. Can install the vinyl in the bathroom as well.
- Cons: ?

How does LVP compare to laminate for resale value?

Lets say I find an LVP product and a laminate product. Both cost about the same, and both look great. When you have a solid subfloor like concrete, which would feel better when walking on it? I have heard that laminate makes a clicking noise when you walk on it, and a floating LVP makes a hollow slapping noise when you walk on it.

When installing LVP onto concrete, what are the pros/cons of glue down planks vs click-lock floating planks?

Do floating LVP installs require transitions in doorways like laminate does?

I get a lot of direct sunlight through the windows, how does LVP hold up against constant sun exposure, as well as the heat from the sun?