PDA

View Full Version : Impact Wrench Suggestions

sabad66
11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
So it's becoming a huge PITA to find a place to put on my winter steelies (not to mention kinda expensive @ minimum $40), so i'm going to invest in a setup to do it on my own.

I'm set on an impact wrench to save some time, so looking for suggestions. I'm looking at this cordless battery powered one:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-20v-max-lithium-ion-high-torque-impact-wrench-0543176p.html#/en/pdp/mastercraft-20v-max-lithium-ion-high-torque-impact-wrench-0543176p.html#.VGEYTSQQG84

Has anyone ever used one of these or something similar? Would you recommend it?

Or should i not even consider these and just go right to a big compressor/air impact wrench? Any idea of size / psi specs i should look at if I go compressor route?

firebane
11-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I have a massive 110v impact wrench made by Milwaukee and use it for lug nuts. I also have a no name brand 18v impact and its ok for certain things but not the heavy duty work.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-7-5a-impact-wrench-0543182p.html#.VGEcXflT50w

sabad66
11-10-2014, 02:21 PM
That one is a really good deal... I don't think i have a real need for cordless so i think i will get that one.

Do you find that you need to loosen or tighten before/after with a torque wrench?

k1l4m
11-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by firebane

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-7-5a-impact-wrench-0543182p.html#.VGEcXflT50w

I think I've got that same one (or maybe an even lower end one than that?) but it struggles to loosen anything with more than 80 ft lbs of torque.

The one OP linked should be fine but it honestly doesn't take that much longer to just use a cross bar wrench.

Originally posted by sabad66
That one is a really good deal... I don't think i have a real need for cordless so i think i will get that one.

Do you find that you need to loosen or tighten before/after with a torque wrench?

Loosen with the impact wrench and tighten them with the torque wrench.

ExtraSlow
11-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Always do the final tightening with a torque wrench by hand. Also start the nuts by hand.
I have a cheapo Canadian Tire cordless one, and it's been fine for me. Unless you are doing this commerically, I don't think it's worth going to an air setup.

Canucks3322
11-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Just spend $4 for a 1/2 inch lug adapter for a power drill and loosen and tighten with your tire iron you don't need to buy a dedicated impact wrench if all you do is change tires lol... if you don't own a power drill and or driver buy those instead cuz you can use them for a lot of things whereas these are mainly got auto repair uses. ..

Canucks3322
11-10-2014, 02:48 PM
And if you want to torque to spec CT always has torque wrenches for <$50 on sale. ..

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2014, 02:58 PM
For maximum value, you might check out picking up a Drill & Impact driver combo for $200 or less. The Impact Drivers that come with the Ridgid/Milwaukee/Makita, etc. sets are more than enough to take off lug nuts, and you get some awesome tools for other stuff at the same time.

I was looking at this one myself. 1,750 in/lbs of torque on the impact driver, free radio, free handle for the drill, and a case. Lifetime replacement warranty on batteries and parts for the tools:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/18v-compact-drill-and-impact-driver-combo-with-radio/834289

For putting on the lug nuts, hand thread then torque wrench is the way to go.

If you JUST want a basic impact gun though, $47 is pretty hard to beat! But if you're going to spend the $170, grab a combo kit from a better brand. I think dragging a cord around a vehicle would be annoying though, I hate doing that with garden hoses, cords, and the air compressor hose.

sabad66
11-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I already have a decent cordless drill, so will probably just get that corded impact wrench for $47 since it's such a good deal. Couple that with a $50 torque wrench and i think i'll be good.

Will pay for itself after 3 swaps considering i usually pay $40 for a straight forward swap.

sabad66
11-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Someone really needs to open up a drive in wheel swap shop kinda like jiffy lube... drive in with your already-mounted tires on rims in your trunk and drive out 10 mins later with your tires swapped for $20.

Graham_A_M
11-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Id recommend against the Cordless Canadian Tire one, their almost useless. Like what was said, anything above about 70-80 ft/pnds, and forget it. Even an El Cheapo air impact will be more practical and powerful.

We used a Dewalt 110v impact, and it did a great job. Ear blistering loud, but it had loads of power.

Kjonus
11-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Just spend $4 for a 1/2 inch lug adapter for a power drill and loosen and tighten with your tire iron you don't need to buy a dedicated impact wrench if all you do is change tires lol... if you don't own a power drill and or driver buy those instead cuz you can use them for a lot of things whereas these are mainly got auto repair uses. ..

What he said.....

Canucks3322
11-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Op you already said you have the cordless drill so just buy the $4 1/2inch socket adaptor to fit on and your golden. .. Why spend the $50 on a useless tool trust me its a bitch to deal with a cord and its hella heavy compared to a cordless drill. ..put the money towards a nice jack. ..

Zorac
11-11-2014, 09:23 AM
i have an impact gun and never use it for my tires. i end up using my air ratchet, but ive been meaning to get the 1/2" socket to drill adapter so i don't have to pull out my air hose. i do use a 24" breaker bar to loosen them, which is almost effortless, and then a torque wrench when i put them back on.

the hardest part is to get the alloy rims off the steel hubs!

speedog
11-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Someone really needs to open up a drive in wheel swap shop kinda like jiffy lube... drive in with your already-mounted tires on rims in your trunk and drive out 10 mins later with your tires swapped for $20.

So one bay would gross $120 an hour for maybe 2-3 months of seasonal work? Doesn't seem like a very profitable idea once one starts factoring all the costs (rent, wages, heat, electricity, tools + wear&tear on them, insurance) and this is assuming you can find a single bay in a building that would allow such a use.

If charging such a minimal price for changing out already mounted tires was a good idea, then I'd like to think that the Jiffy Lubes and such would be all over this as it would take them very little to add the additional equipment to do such and yet, they're not offering this tire swap service - got to wonder why.

D. Dub
11-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Corded electrical tools still work better, last longer and are cheaper.

firebane
11-11-2014, 02:02 PM
You know dragging a cord is not that difficult if you know how to run a cord around your vehicle or in general.

My truck lug nuts are torqued to like 120ft/lbs and I need something that will bust those loose quick and my electric impact does that just fine.

r3ccOs
11-12-2014, 08:33 AM
240lbs 1/2 for a corded electric for $50? Even if you use it for just one year (2 changes), you've got your money's worth.

Its enough torque to use to torque down lag bolts decently for putting together a deck or a project...

sabad66
11-12-2014, 08:52 AM
That particular impact wrench is sold out across Calgary CTs, so I ended up getting a rain check on it.

Instead had to do it manually this weekend with a breaker bar to loosen. It was a pain in the ass, so will definitely be picking up the corded impact wrench when they have it in stock again.

codetrap
11-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I have a 18V drill & impact set that I got for christmas. Works great for swapping tires. I did the car in about 30 minutes and the truck in 45. Loosen the lugs off with the breaker bar, use the cordless to take the lugs off fast and then put them on fast, and then tighten them up to spec with the torque wrench. The drill is handier than a pocket in your underwear paired with a really nice bit set. The impact is also great for doing all sorts of light mechanical work.

I have an air setup as well, but I don't like using it as much because then I have to deal with hoses, and tuning it so I don't overtorque the lugs. The cordless goes up to about 80lbs, so it's just about perfect for the car.

Its like this one, only without the flashlight and sawsall
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/m18-cordless-lithium-ion-4-tool-combo-kit/985261

Kjonus
11-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Is it just me or are some people lazy or spending to much time in front of a computer and don't have the strength :dunno: a breaker bar isn't that much work :D

4runneron36s
11-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Got me a Milwaukee impact wrench from BC Fasteners. They had the best price by about $70 compared to buying local and the shipping was free. Batteries last a long time, are quickly rechargeable and interchangeable with my existing Milwaukee drill.

http://bcfasteners.com/shop/milwaukee-2655b-22-m18-fuel-impact-wrench-kit-with-ball-pin/