PDA

View Full Version : 2014 GMC Denali 1500 Thoughts?

nissanK
11-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Never bought a truck before but my wife and I are seriously considering one. Test drove a Ford Ecoboost and looked at the Ram 1500's but we absolutely love the new Sierra 1500 Denali. Just feels way more refined now compared to other trucks.

I read the thread on buying a truck and it had alot of great info, but looks like mostly Ford and Rams were the truck of choice.

Anybody have experience with the Sierra? Particularly the latest refresh?

Darell_n
11-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Money wise, you will probably pay $10k too much for the redesigned GM vs the very heavy rebated Dodge and Fords right now.

ercchry
11-11-2014, 02:28 PM
i'd wait a little bit longer for the new f150

nissanK
11-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah I've researched both the upcoming F-150 and the current Ram but I'm not a fan of either. Obviously they are cutting the current Ford prices to make way for the refresh.

I'm aware that the new Denali is top of the price bracket for non HD trucks. Price IMO is second to reliability and positive experiences from buyers.

Back to my original question........

FraserB
11-11-2014, 03:15 PM
TomcoPDR has a new Silverado, should be comparable except for the interior trim.

nissanK
11-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah especially if it's the High Country trim level. Paging Tomco :D

atgilchrist
11-11-2014, 03:29 PM
I just got a F150 crew cab, and I love it. Got the 5L instead of the ecoboost, the consensus around here is that the 5.0 actually gets better mileage due to all the hills, and the incentives were crazy good. Can't provide Denali input haha.

JfuckinC
11-11-2014, 03:32 PM
My buddy has one, came from a Ram... Just talked to him about it on the weekend, didn't really seem all that amazed by it to be honest. He said it's quick and a nice truck, but he kinda missed his Ram to be honest. :dunno:

nissanK
11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
My buddy has one, came from a Ram... Just talked to him about it on the weekend, didn't really seem all that amazed by it to be honest. He said it's quick and a nice truck, but he kinda missed his Ram to be honest. :dunno:

How long has he had the Denali? Mileage he has put on it?

Edit: forgot to ask did he go for the 6.2 or the 5.3?

FraserB
11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
I like the Ford electric power steering more than the GM power steering, but the placement for the radio controls and the HVAC is a lot better in the GM. The seats seem better for taller people in the GM and the front seat seems to have more room overall. I always smack my knees on the wheel if I'm jumping into my F150 compared to the Sierra. The F150 does seem to have a bit better legroom in the back, but I never sit there.

InRich
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
I just got a F150 crew cab, and I love it. Got the 5L instead of the ecoboost, the consensus around here is that the 5.0 actually gets better mileage due to all the hills, and the incentives were crazy good. Can't provide Denali input haha.

how much you pay?

nissanK
11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I like the Ford electric power steering more than the GM power steering, but the placement for the radio controls and the HVAC is a lot better in the GM. The seats seem better for taller people in the GM and the front seat seems to have more room overall. I always smack my knees on the wheel if I'm jumping into my F150 compared to the Sierra. The F150 does seem to have a bit better legroom in the back, but I never sit there.

Yeah that was the thing I noticed when sitting in the Denali. I'm not a little guy and the driving position in it sold me and my wife.

ercchry
11-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

you must have the steering wheel all the way down and seat all the way up or something... i dont have this issue and im bigger than you!

RSD
11-11-2014, 04:20 PM
The 2014 Denali is a great truck. I picked up a 6.2L in April and have over 20K on the truck. Avg fuel economy since new is 13.1 L/100km.
In the last 10 years I have owned Dodge 1500, Toyota Tundra, F150 ecoboost.
Fuel economy on the 6.2L is better than the 3.0L ecoboost.

nissanK
11-11-2014, 04:36 PM
How do you find the ground clearance compared to other trucks? Looks much lower than the ram from the front.

FraserB
11-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

you must have the steering wheel all the way down and seat all the way up or something... i dont have this issue and im bigger than you!

I'll try adjusting the seat, but I know the steering wheel is all the way up. Even then, it's lower than the GM.

redblack
11-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Get the 6.2 motor, the 5.3 was gutless compared to ram and ford ecoboost when I tested them.

corsvette
11-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Dad bought a new Denali this summer, it's an HD diesel though. He loves it. I've spent plenty of seat time in it, super quiet, smooth, and glitch free so far. The one issue I had was poor headlamp performance at night. I'm sure the aftermarket has a solution to this, I put ZXE sylvania lamps in our Yukon Denali and it made a huge difference in headlamp performance.

nissanK
11-11-2014, 06:49 PM
How has his and your experience been with Gm?

corsvette
11-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by nissanK
How has his and your experience been with Gm?

Good/Bad. CMP service is a gong show most of the time, same with Shaw (same owners) Had very positive experience with Shaganappi and GSL.

He bought the truck new in Idaho, so can't comment on the sales side.

corsvette
11-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Also I'd make good darn sure you get a 2015 Denali, that way you will have the new 8 speed automatic. Supposedly the 6.2/8sp combo gets excellent fuel economy and even quicker acceleration. A recent review I read had a 6.2/8sp Denali Yukon averaging 22 MPG, better than the same truck with a 5.3/6sp.

nissanK
11-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Oh wow, thanks for that I was un aware they added an 8 speed tranny in the 2015.

hampstor
11-11-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a 2014 Sierra 1500 (SLE + z71 + Premium) with the 5.3. My frame of reference is limited since the only other truck i've owned was a Titan. I did test drive the Ford and Dodge earlier this year before buying the GM.

Overall, I really enjoy the truck. It's been smooth on the highway, plenty of power for passing, and has great fuel mileage (below 10L/100 km on the highway and between 13-14L/100km city). The factory remote start thru onStar has been a big bonus in the last few days. You don't need the OnStar subscription either, it's just an app on a smartphone that you use to remote start / lock / unlock.

The shifting has been the only real gripe I have with it. The 1-2 shift isn't always smooth, and I have on occasion had it lurch while shifting on the highway (I think I read somewhere it's poor timing between shifting and the cylinder deactivation/reactivation).

Not sure what you're looking for in a truck or wanting to know tho? Have you driven all 3 (Ford/GM/Dodge)?

Edit: I forgot to say the headlights are another weak point. People are replacing the factory bulbs with HID kits.

LSChevelle
11-12-2014, 10:31 AM
I also have a 2014 Sierra (SLE, all terrain, premium)

Reliability wise, cant really beat chev in this department. Basically the same motor they have always had. My only maintenance concern when purchasing was the fuel rail pump. But, I liked the truck enough to worry about it down the road.

As posted above, smoothest truck I have ever driven on the highway. I find the cylinder deactivation works well, you don't physically feel it going in and out if you're a passenger. As a driver its kind of like all of a sudden the engine has a lot more torque.

I also am in love with the remote start. Being able to start my truck from work and know that it is running is great.

So far I have done a couple trips to canmore, best is 8.4L/100km there and back. Had a nice tailwind on the way home though, I would say average is 9.5/100 for highway. Rush hour deerfoot commute is around 14/100 and stop and go downtown is about 18/100.

The truck is lower in the front, that is because it has a plastic air dam that snaps on and off (or so I was told, haven't had it off yet.)

I'm probably being overly critical but, the only things that have annoyed me with the truck are: it automatically downshifts. Sometimes (1 in 100) it feels a little clunky. The USBs (which it has an abundance of) wont charge my Note 2.

Overall, I am very happy with the truck. Gets better mileage than I expected coming from a gen3 5.3L, drives smooth, quiet and comfy inside.

If you decide to get the all terrain (painted bumpers) make sure you put some sort of 3M on. The bumper chips really easily.

atgilchrist
11-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by InRich

how much you pay?

2yr lease, $0 down, 405/m including bc's crazy taxes.

nissanK
11-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks LSChevelle and hampstor for your input. Those are exactly the things I'd like to know going into owning a Sierra.

Hopefully they address the shifting issues with the new 8speed.....

corsvette
11-13-2014, 05:15 PM
It's the same 8 speed as the Vette, should be pretty awesome. I doubt dealers here will have one though, they went to build in the 4th quarter, might be hitting dealers pretty quick.

SuperFlyOrDie
11-24-2014, 09:43 AM
I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L
Gets better mileage than the ford ecoboost as posted above, and very smooth ride.
Looked at the Ford before and was way to "plasticy" on the inside and just not on the same level as the GM.
The ram was nice. but the quality just isn't there.
I'm interested in what the 6.2L 8 speed is like too!

r3ccOs
11-24-2014, 12:37 PM
on the half ton front, I found the Titan and Chevby the most driveable for some reason...

I think this is because both are slightly smaller in dimentions than the Ram, Tundra & F150
(also I think the Chevy's are lower)

with that being said, I think the F150 may be the most purpose built truck, but lacks the quality of the Chevy and Tundra... but I belive better than Ram.

The supercrew & Tundra crew max may be the two largest cabs on a truck, with the exception of a mega

I found the back seats of the Sierra 1500, a touch small, but driver ergo's and finish is much nicer than the equivillently trimmed F150

So far though, I'd say the Ram w/ the coil springs and the Laramie Long Horn package to the nicest interior and best riding of the bunch... BUT, it just seems like they are a hit & miss in both utility and reliability

At the end of the day, most trucks are simular, but I'd definately wait for the new F150 2015's as well...

If Ford brings the new 2015's to the same level as Ram in interior quality, yet retains the strengths (or improves towing/payload with the lightened body) and features of their outgoing model... (i.e. locker, hill descent, max tow, trailer sway control)
It's going to be a tough one to beat... (well they should contemplate an 8speed, but their 6 is qutie smooth)

I also would say that for a Denali, I'd almost spend the extra and move into a 2500...
Though I like the top trim levels, I just find it moves their pricing far too close into the big truck range, yet they are much more truck for not much more money

oh & also, the Tundra really is a nice truck, especially in Fit & Finish... and isn't any more pricy when you get to those high country/denali/long horn/limited/platnium levels

only things that "lack" may be the lack of locker or LSD... some say the rear C frames are "weak" but really its designed that way for driveability...
Tundra owners I've talked to have seemed to have better relaiblity overall :dunno: