PDA

View Full Version : Frost on Insid of Car

lasimmon
11-12-2014, 09:28 AM
So since the deep cold has rolled in I have found that on possibly 2/3 trips into my vehicle I will have frost on the inside of the windshield and possibly on the the other windows as well.

I checked to ensure that all windows and sunroof are fully closed and check the door jams to ensure the doors were fully closing.

Anyone maybe have an idea of what may be causing this and how I can prevent it in the future?

Thanks!

Boosted131
11-12-2014, 09:33 AM
It's moisture getting in your vehicle. Mine does it sometimes then goes away after the long drives to the mountains. Just need to keep the heat on and crack the windows a bit. That fixed it for me

ExtraSlow
11-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Yes, you have moisture in your car. The good news is that once it's really cold, the air here in Calgary is very dry. You need to have a window cracked open while you are driving to let some of the dry air in and the moist air out.

THis will be an ongoing problem, as your shoes track in snow, and your heater evaporates it into the air.
Parking in a heated garage can make this problem much worse.

One trick I use is to let all the warm air out when I park somewhere outside, and that seems to help a lot. Just leave a door open for a co9uple of minutes, or open two windows for the last couple blocks of your drive.

TLDR: let more cold air in.

lasimmon
11-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Sounds good guys I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Strider
11-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
THis will be an ongoing problem, as your shoes track in snow, and your heater evaporates it into the air.

This is probably the main source.
If you park in a heated garage, there's going to be moist air floating around and there's no helping that.

A couple suggestions - make sure you knock the snow off your shoes/boots before you get in and always set your HVAC to fresh air instead of recirculate.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I park five days a week in a heated parkade, and it's moist as fuck, and at home, I'm out on the street. I am super anal about letting the moist air out, and it seems to work, since I almost never have significant frost inside my truck.

lasimmon
11-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Thats probably similar to my situation then. I park on the street but move to various parkades throughout the week.

Graham_A_M
11-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Make sure your carpets aren't damp at all. Never use re-circulate, and perhaps use A/C when using the defrost. That should keep the moisture out of the cabin.

nickyh
11-12-2014, 11:19 AM
I crank the heat and turn on the AC, works every time to clear the inside.

killramos
11-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Make sure your car isnt set to recirc. Had that problem once, drove me bananas...:banghead:

Moonracer
11-12-2014, 11:51 AM
It wouldn't hurt to give the inside of your windows a good cleaning when it's warm or in a warm garage. I'll even wipe Rainx on the inside of the windows and it works like a charm.
And as mentioned do not use recirculated air mode.

Ca_Silvia13
11-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Heat and AC will clear it right up

sabad66
11-12-2014, 11:57 AM
The obvious thing to check is to make sure you run your heater on the 'outside air' setting vs. the 'recirculate inside air'.

TomcoPDR
11-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Try having baking soda in a tub, holes drilled on the lid, and place it on the dash.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
It wouldn't hurt to give the inside of your windows a good cleaning when it's warm or in a warm garage. I'll even wipe Rainx on the inside of the windows and it works like a charm.
And as mentioned do not use recirculated air mode.
THis is a good point. Dirty/greasy windows will fog up much worse than clean ones. I don't use rain-x, but I do clean them with invisible glass a few times each winter, and it really seems to help.

Canucks3322
11-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Baking soda in a tub no lid when you leave it parked overnight right under the windshield where it's most important also crack window a bit. .. Also check to see if you have a heater core leak. ..