PDA

View Full Version : Beyond preferred garage heater install?

S-FLY
11-12-2014, 10:03 AM
I have a double garage, 20x22. Is there a recommended garage heater installer that everyone uses? I'd like to get a nat gas heater installed to keep the temp of the garage at +10 or so. Also curious how many btu everyone is running for heaters.

Thanks!

mr2mike
11-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Pm thinmyster. He just did this and can give you installer names, etc. too.

interlude
11-13-2014, 12:40 AM
G.I. Joe will be installing my heater on monday. I can report back afterwards.

However, I wouldn't recommend using Gas Tech. I will post up a review once I see my refund show up on my credit card.

thinmyster
11-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Gas tech did an install at a co-workers place and he seemed happy enough. Josh the gas fitter did mine last week. I sent S-Fly my review

chongkee_
11-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
Gas tech did an install at a co-workers place and he seemed happy enough. Josh the gas fitter did mine last week. I sent S-Fly my review

Hey can you pm me your review as well?
Looking at getting one installed in my garage.
Thanks.

streetdreams
11-13-2014, 09:57 AM
I used this guy i have known his family for along time, he did great work and was able to get me in quick. He installed a reznor heater in my 24x24 garage last year and i love it. I liked how everything he does is nice and clean he threads his own pipe on site. Check out his website

http://bremworks.ca/Home_Page.html

Vdubbin
11-13-2014, 10:00 AM
What was the price to install it if you don't mind me asking. I've already got a Reznor heater but need it installed in my garage.

Originally posted by streetdreams
I used this guy i have known his family for along time, he did great work and was able to get me in quick. He installed a reznor heater in my 24x24 garage last year and i love it. I liked how everything he does is nice and clean he threads his own pipe on site. Check out his website

streetdreams
11-13-2014, 10:15 AM
dont remember off the top of my head i had him do alot of other stuff at the same time, gas BBQ,gas range, water softner and kitchen plumbing. He is actually coming to do our bathroom this weekend.

TL911
11-13-2014, 10:38 AM
does anyone have any prices? I'm look at 1700 the cheapest for a renzor unit on a 20 x 24 garage (attached)

S-FLY
11-13-2014, 10:47 AM
For the guys with garage heaters:

How big is your garage? (length, width and height)
How many BTU is your heater?
Is it infrared or forced air?

I used a calculator from some website and it's telling me I need something like 150,000 btu to heat my 20x22 (8 foot ceilings), which sounds crazy to me. I was thinking a 40 or 50,000 btu should make it warm enough in there to tinker with cars comfortably in a t-shirt when it's -20 outside.

CapnCrunch
11-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by interlude
G.I. Joe will be installing my heater on monday. I can report back afterwards.

Wait.....who?

raceman6135
11-13-2014, 11:05 AM
In October 2013, I had a Reznor 45,000 BTU forced air unit installed in my detached garage (appx 22' x 24') and it cost me $1850, but that DID NOT include trenching the gas line approximately 50' from the house to the garage.

thinmyster
11-13-2014, 11:41 AM
I used Josh the gas fitter. If you google them you'll find a bunch of their youtube videos.

Install went good except josh did accidentally drill into my AC unit. He was apologetic and it was only some of the fins that were damaged. He knocked a couple hundred off the price for that.

Breakdown was:
1200 for the calcana 40 (40,000 btu) Get this one if you go radiant.
1200 install
200 permit (optional)
200 vent kit
450-850 to run the gas to the garage. My gas meter is at the side of the house but all the way back and my garage is attached at the front so it should have cost me 650 but I got it for 450 due to the AC incident

All in I was $3250. A guy from work installed a FA unit that he bought from Princess Auto (Bulldog or hotdog) I can't remember the name and he was ~2850 all in, installed from gas tech. (his unit was only 600$ though and I believe he had gas in the garage too).
Initially when I was looking for a heater these guys had better pricing than Inrich could get so I didn't shop around at all lol his videos are on the calcana website also which makes me think he comes somewhat recommended?

Clean install. Took the two-three guys about 6-7 hours. It got permitted no problem. Wait time is 2 weeks to be booked in. Hard to say how well I like it, its only been on for 2 days, set at 10C but so far so good.

I'll post pics later

BerserkerCatSplat
11-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by S-FLY
For the guys with garage heaters:

How big is your garage? (length, width and height)
How many BTU is your heater?
Is it infrared or forced air?

I used a calculator from some website and it's telling me I need something like 150,000 btu to heat my 20x22 (8 foot ceilings), which sounds crazy to me. I was thinking a 40 or 50,000 btu should make it warm enough in there to tinker with cars comfortably in a t-shirt when it's -20 outside.

150,000 BTU is crazy-huge for a 20x22x8. Even a 30,000 BTU forced-air would be just fine to heat that, provided you're insulated.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Wait.....who?

http://www.gijoeheating.com/about.html

bobafixed
11-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by streetdreams

I have him booked to come in and do the install next week.

Glad to hear he does good work, I'll report back after the install and let everyone know how it went.

S-FLY
11-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by raceman6135
In October 2013, I had a Reznor 45,000 BTU forced air unit installed in my detached garage (appx 22' x 24') and it cost me $1850, but that DID NOT include trenching the gas line approximately 50' from the house to the garage.

How do you like that model heater? Who installed it and do you have any regrets with it?

thinmyster
11-13-2014, 03:10 PM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5609/15596811869_d86abedfa4_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pLeJMt)IMG_2204 (https://flic.kr/p/pLeJMt) by mr2Jon84 (https://www.flickr.com/people/88856943@N07/), on Flickr

mr2mike
11-14-2014, 08:22 AM
That thing is massive for that garage!
:eek:

S-FLY
11-14-2014, 10:00 AM
I assume half his garage is missing in the picture on the left. If not, it'd be like a beach vacation in there when it's -40 outside. :)

S-FLY
11-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Can anyone with a typical 40,000 btu gas forced air heater in a double garage comment on how warm it gets and if they like it?

raceman6135
11-14-2014, 12:51 PM

How do you like that model heater? Who installed it and do you have any regrets with it?

I like it quite a bit. My garage walls and ceiling have insulation and vapour barrier, so it brings the temperature up quickly and holds it there without running too often.

It's obviously more noisy than a radiant style of heater, but it doesn't bother me as I work in my garage, so there is often some mechanical noise anyway.

Shift Air Mechanical did the installation for me and I'm very happy with Brent McQuade's work. They were all done within 3 to 4 hours and there have been zero problems with the heater and installation.

My uncle had a Calcana-style radiant heater in his garage but I didn't like it very much. Since I don't work in my garage every day, I only turn on the heater when I need it. With the radiant in my uncle's garage, until the garage warmed up, I was feeling a lot of heat on my head but my feet were cold.

Those are just my impressions, of course, and there are a lot of guys that like the radiant heaters more than forced air.

S-FLY
11-14-2014, 03:28 PM
On a day like today, do you think you could get your garage up to +15c with your heater? Thanks for all the info!

schurchill39
11-14-2014, 08:09 PM
I had a 35,000 BTU Lennox heater installed in my 24x26 detached garage and I am really happy with how warm its kept it when we just park the vehicles in there and when I go to work in there it heats up really nice.

I paid $2,250 (minus trenching) which included install and permit. The guy I used does commercial work as his regular job but residential on nights and weekends so for cash and a little patience I saved myself ~ $500.

That being said I wouldn't recommend the dude I used because his work was pretty sloppy and he just didn't take his time to do it right. He was a nice enough guy but I'm kicking myself in the ass for not ponying up the extra few hundred for something that would have been clean. He came recommended from a guy I work with so I was a little surprised with the outcome.

Iqoair
11-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I have a Calcana heater in my garage, 15' and love it. Our attached garage is 36'x24' and works well enough for me. Very cheap to use as well! If you don't let the garage get too cold, it won't take long to heat things up. They work much better with a fresh air intake, if you just install it and have the air intake from within the garage they don't work as well. Keep them at least 4' away from painted surfaces.

Jeff TYPE R
11-16-2014, 12:38 AM
I was planning on buying and mounting this up myself:

http://www.costco.ca/Dimplex-4%2c000-W-Garage-Heater.product.10360411.html

My garage is very well insulated and I don't need it that warm, and only the odd time I'd crank it to work in the garage. It seems perfect for what I need and at a good price. Install seems straightforward too.

The only issue is that the power cord is only 6' long, won't reach an outlet if I hang it off the ceiling, and it says to not use an extension cord. Any electricians want to chime in? Will I need someone to come and install an extra outlet?

Yuubah
11-16-2014, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
I was planning on buying and mounting this up myself:

http://www.costco.ca/Dimplex-4%2c000-W-Garage-Heater.product.10360411.html

My garage is very well insulated and I don't need it that warm, and only the odd time I'd crank it to work in the garage. It seems perfect for what I need and at a good price. Install seems straightforward too.

The only issue is that the power cord is only 6' long, won't reach an outlet if I hang it off the ceiling, and it says to not use an extension cord. Any electricians want to chime in? Will I need someone to come and install an extra outlet?

Looks like you need a 240v outlet, so I would guess you would need to have that installed by an electrician first.

GTS Jeff
11-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Yuubah

Looks like you need a 240v outlet, so I would guess you would need to have that installed by an electrician first. Actually my question was about the extension cord...I already have a 240V outlet.

Darell_n
11-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Just go to Home Depot and buy whatever length you need of 10/3 wire and 1 male 1 female plug.

raceman6135
11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
On a day like today, do you think you could get your garage up to +15c with your heater? Thanks for all the info!

Absolutely, no problem. I regularly work comfortably in my +15C garage when it's -20C outside (or even colder), and it doesn't take long to get to that temp. It isn't as quick to warm up as some of the radiant heater users claim with their 5 to 15 minutes observances, but I'm not complaining.

max_boost
11-16-2014, 07:09 PM
lol Jeff Type R & GTS Jeff in the same thread lol

blownz
11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Can anyone with a typical 40,000 btu gas forced air heater in a double garage comment on how warm it gets and if they like it?

I have a 45,000 btu Lenox and my garage is 22x22 with half the ceiling at 8' and half at 9'.

I have had it for 9 years with no issues. I keep the garage around 14-15 and it has no problem with that and even if I have the door open for an hour in 20 below and then want to heat it up to 20 above to work on a vehicle, it has no problem with it.

HiTempguy1
11-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Wow, it blows my mind how much people are spending on gas heater installs... why doesn't everyone just run electric heat?

A 4000W heater is more than sufficient to heat a 24x24 garage to room temperature (20*C). If you just had it on a thermostat and your garage was insulated, I bet it would cost $50/month to keep the garage at 10*C in the winter. The only issue is it would take a bit to heat up after the door had opened.

S-FLY
11-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
The only issue is it would take a bit to heat up after the door had opened.

And most of those require 220v. Gas heater > electric heater.

raceman6135
11-18-2014, 09:10 PM

And most of those require 220v. Gas heater > electric heater.

In my situation, the sub panel in my garage is only a 60 amp panel, and since I already have dedicated circuits for a 220v air compressor and a 220v welder, and a couple of 15 amp circuits for lights and plugs, I didn't have the space to have a 220v heater circuit as well.

TomcoPDR
11-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by raceman6135

In my situation, the sub panel in my garage is only a 60 amp panel, and since I already have dedicated circuits for a 220v air compressor and a 220v welder, and a couple of 15 amp circuits for lights and plugs, I didn't have the space to have a 220v heater circuit as well.

Do you find 60amp sub panel is enough? Like it's not like everything is going to be running all at the same time kinda thing.

What power service is going into the main house if u don't mind telling.

blownz
11-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Wow, it blows my mind how much people are spending on gas heater installs... why doesn't everyone just run electric heat?

A 4000W heater is more than sufficient to heat a 24x24 garage to room temperature (20*C). If you just had it on a thermostat and your garage was insulated, I bet it would cost $50/month to keep the garage at 10*C in the winter. The only issue is it would take a bit to heat up after the door had opened.

First garage I had I installed a 220v electric heater that I got free from work. It was one of those small ones you often see in the breezeway of a building.

Anyway, I set the temp to around 12-15 (can't remember exactly anymore) and the first month my electricity bill increased something like $50-60. I thought it wasn't bad and left it. Next month I had a $500 electricity bill. I was pretty sure the cops were going to show up looking for a grow op.

Bottom line, gas is way more efficient than electricity for heating your garage. Keeping my garage at about 15 now costs maybe $40 a month. And the electric heater was way slower at heating things up.

raceman6135
11-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Do you find 60amp sub panel is enough? Like it's not like everything is going to be running all at the same time kinda thing.

That's true that not everything in the garage will be running at the same time, so 60 amperes will feed all that I can do. After all, I can't run the plasma cutter (which needs the air compressor to operate) and the welder at the same time :)

I'm not positive what the electrical code states, but I believe the welder has to be on its own circuit, but the air compressor could be on another 240 volt circuit if I had other 240 volt loads (properly sized, of course).

I would like to put a 30 amp 125 volt receptacle on the side of my garage (fed from the garage's sub-panel) where my travel trailer is parked for those times when I want maximum power available for it. As it is, I have a 15 amp GFCI outlet there that will run most of the things on the travel trailer, which is sufficient 95% of the time.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
What power service is going into the main house if u don't mind telling.

100 amp service.

Darkane
09-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Bump this up.

Gonna check out some installers. Want to go gas for a 32x22 triple attached. 40-50k btu should cut it.

Don't want above 5 and about 15 deg when I'm working in there. With a hoody and coveralls, and gorilla gloves 12deg is no problem too. Think a 40 or 50 would do?

roopi
09-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Bump this up.

Gonna check out some installers. Want to go gas for a 32x22 triple attached. 40-50k btu should cut it.

Don't want above 5 and about 15 deg when I'm working in there. With a hoody and coveralls, and gorilla gloves 12deg is no problem too. Think a 40 or 50 would do?

Had Shift Air Mechanical install a Reznor 45,000 BTU unit a couple of weeks ago (they were doing my A/C so just had it done all at once).

The heater install was a different day then the A/C and I wasn't around to watch so not sure how long it took them. As for the install I already had a gas line in the garage so they just needed to extend it, venting, and hang. Overall no complaints with the install. Clean install and didn't leave a mess around. I'd recommend. Owner's name is Brent.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Bump this up.

~40K is fine. My 33x25 is heated by a 30K (a Reznor I got for free), and while it takes a while to get up to temp, it does the trick. I usually hold at ~9 degrees and work at ~17.

As far as installers go, all I can say is that my experience with Josh the Gasfitter was less than stellar.

Pacman
09-04-2015, 08:01 PM
did anyone try the Costco 4,000W electrical unit? If so, how's it working?

I've got a 220v outlet in my garage and this might be an inexpensive way to heat things up.

HomespunLobster
09-04-2015, 08:21 PM
I take back my last comment. Did some online searching on reviews. I might pick up this unit for the winter until I can get a gas one installed next year

Jeff TYPE R
09-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
did anyone try the Costco 4,000W electrical unit? If so, how's it working?

I've got a 220v outlet in my garage and this might be an inexpensive way to heat things up. I actually got it installed and running. Mounted it up myself, and ended calling an electrician to run a new outlet from the panel, because the existing outlet was in the wrong spot and the wrong type of outlet too.

Chad and Brent were the electricians that helped me out...username FLARE on here. Super dedicated and honest folks that know what they're doing.

As for heating up the garage, mine is a 2-car and fully insulated, so I expect this to be enough. I only ever turned it on whenever I was going to be spending more than a couple minutes in the garage, and it was basically fine to turn it on as I got into the garage because it heated things up quickly, but you do have the option of using the built in thermostat. I had it installed towards the end of winter, so I haven't really tested it in the coldest days yet...but then again, I see no reason to keep my garage a constant 15 degrees all winter either.

StreetRacerX
09-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Ran a gas line and put in a 60,000btu Modine Hot Dawg this spring, I suspect it will be fine for the winter, I have it set for 58'F to keep things from freezing.

86max
11-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Another Bump :D

I have some work that I would like done in a residential garage and am looking for a contractor that can take care of the entire project rather than having to coordinate multiple trades myself. It's a little more complicated than a typical garage heater install, so I'm not sure if the aforementioned recommendations are valid. It will involve gas fitting, hvac, electric, and the installation of a ceiling fan/roof vent. Basically a garage heater controlled by a thermostat, and a make-up air unit controlled by a dehumidistat.

Does anyone have any recommendations who I can call for this sort of thing before I start contacting companies off google?

roopi
11-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 86max
Another Bump :D

I have some work that I would like done in a residential garage and am looking for a contractor that can take care of the entire project rather than having to coordinate multiple trades myself. It's a little more complicated than a typical garage heater install, so I'm not sure if the aforementioned recommendations are valid. It will involve gas fitting, hvac, electric, and the installation of a ceiling fan/roof vent. Basically a garage heater controlled by a thermostat, and a make-up air unit controlled by a dehumidistat.

Does anyone have any recommendations who I can call for this sort of thing before I start contacting companies off google?

I'd recommend Brent from Shift Air Mechanical. I posted about the garage heater install earlier in this thread that he did for me however in addition to that he did installed 2 A/C units in my home this summer as well which involved adding a subpanel and the garage is vented as well. He took care of everything with the electician/gas fitter. Let me know if you want his contact info.

madramzi24
11-15-2015, 02:18 AM
why don't you just get one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAir-17-060-BTU-5000-Watt-Electric-Garage-Heater-G73/205588544 heats up to 500sq ft and if you have a panel board in your garage with room in there it would probably only cost under 100.00 for your breaker and wire.

KPHMPH
11-15-2015, 08:15 AM
I have an appointment for Protech plumbing to come by and install a Hot Dawg heater for my 23x21 garage on Monday - $2100 + $12ft for gas line.

I will report once done.

thinmyster
11-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by KPHMPH
I have an appointment for Protech plumbing to come by and install a Hot Dawg heater for my 23x21 garage on Monday - $2100 + $12ft for gas line.

I will report once done.

Attached garage? I hear they are loud. I don't think you will like it if you have a bonus room above

86max
11-15-2015, 12:17 PM
I've had no luck finding someone to install mine. Been turned down because I already have the equipment (less profit), or guys just don't show up :/

StreetRacerX
11-15-2015, 12:23 PM

I will report once done.

Sounds like a decent price to me, it cost me about $1400 to do it myself, as far as noise is concerned I don't really have an issue with my Hot Dawg, if you want something quiet buy a radiant heater.

KPHMPH
11-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster

Attached garage? I hear they are loud. I don't think you will like it if you have a bonus room above

We had one in our Fort Mac house with attached garage. Our master bed was right above garage and I honestly never heard it!

The house I am in right now the 3 bedroom / workout room is above garage and our master is on he back side of the house. Shouldn't be an issue either.

The garage is 95% finished and is very silent to the rest of the house, when I'm in there blasting music you can barely hear it in the rest of the house + I find the heaters don't run to often when the garage is insulated good.

I will update when all finalized and garage is getting heated!

KPHMPH
11-16-2015, 02:19 PM
So they arrived at 9am and finished by 12 today.

I'm happy - clean install and small but powerful heater.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/C752C9BA-0246-4E58-9DB6-A34329A7A878_zps9fjku7wp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/FB66A69C-50F4-4875-B903-E9C523D30846_zps1xoput8o.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/EA3330EE-F196-4250-B04F-123037371F9F_zpsxp0ubxri.jpg

spike98
11-16-2015, 02:57 PM
So they arrived at 9am and finished by 12 today.

I'm happy - clean install and small but powerful heater.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/C752C9BA-0246-4E58-9DB6-A34329A7A878_zps9fjku7wp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/FB66A69C-50F4-4875-B903-E9C523D30846_zps1xoput8o.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/EA3330EE-F196-4250-B04F-123037371F9F_zpsxp0ubxri.jpg

Looks clean. I was quoted $3780 for a Reznor 45,000 btu. I almost laughed at the poor guy.

You should PM the details of the guy that installed yours.

roopi
11-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Looks clean. I was quoted $3780 for a Reznor 45,000 btu. I almost laughed at the poor guy.

You should PM the details of the guy that installed yours.

I had a Reznor 45,000 BTU installed at $2150 this summer.