PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace not always working

LUDELVR
11-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Just seeing if we have a fireplace guy on the forum. The fireplace in our rental is not always turning on. Every now and again, the switch will turn it on but for the most part, it doesn't go. We've checked the pilot and it's on but the switch is more miss than hit.

Anyone here know a thing or tow about fireplaces? I hate messing around with natural gas!

codetrap
11-12-2014, 01:45 PM
I fixed mine by simply opening it up and cleaning it. Turned the gas off first of course.

Sugarphreak
11-12-2014, 01:50 PM

BrknFngrs
11-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
If the pilot is lit, my guess is the thermocouple is done

This would be my guess as well, though I had good luck with just swapping out the switch in my case so that might be worth a shot as well (cheap and easy to do)

LUDELVR
11-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

This would be my guess as well, though I had good luck with just swapping out the switch in my case so that might be worth a shot as well (cheap and easy to do)

Tried swapping out the switch because it was a decor switch and I've read those are not the best for turning on the fireplace. I have the skinny switch in and it seems to still not work.

Is swapping out the thermocouple an easy job or would it be advisable to get a certified guy in?:dunno:

ExtraSlow
11-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Tried swapping out the switch because it was a decor switch and I've read those are not the best for turning on the fireplace. I have the skinny switch in and it seems to still not work.
This is a common issue. I had one of my fireplaces on a decora switch, and swapping to the "old school" switch solved the problem 100%. Too bad this didn't work for you, but for anyone else with this issue, it's an easy thing to try.

killramos
11-12-2014, 03:20 PM
I am having the same problem (switch sticks closed even when flicked on, fireplace turns on when pushed really hard) but holding out to install something with an IR sensor as well so i can control it with my Harmony :D

interlude
11-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Happened at my townhouse. Its the light switch, unscrew the cover plate, check the switch. When a technician came to check it out, they just cleaned the switch or swapped a new one (2nd visit a year later), and it fixed the problem both times.

Don't call Gas Tech if you are going to call someone to come look at it! Bunch of crooks!

LUDELVR
01-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Still having issues with this. Does anyone know anyone or is anyone who can come fix this?

interlude
01-20-2015, 03:22 PM
This happened before at my townhouse. The actual light switch is the problem most of the time.

Turn off the breaker, take the switch off, clean off the connections and wire it all up.

Or you can just take a toothbrush to it and brush it and see if that works first.

I found out the hard way and paid a $100 service call to change out a light switch...

Alterac
01-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Have you opened it to clean it yet?

Get the manual online, and it has all the instructions for opening and log placement.

If the pilot is good, and the switch replacement didn't fix it, it could be a dirty/bad Thermopile.

You will know if your fireplace uses this because you will see the pilot touching two prongs.

http://www.mygasfireplacerepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Thermopile.png

One on the left is the Thermocouple, and its responsible for keeping the gas on while the pilot is lit. It generates a small current when heated that is enough to keep the gas pilot valve open for the small pilot flame.

One on the right, is the thermopile, and its job is to generate a larger current to open the gas valve all the way to enable the main burner to light and stay running.

Great resource here: http://www.mygasfireplacerepair.com/

Let us know how it goes.

LUDELVR
01-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Have you opened it to clean it yet?

Get the manual online, and it has all the instructions for opening and log placement.

If the pilot is good, and the switch replacement didn't fix it, it could be a dirty/bad Thermopile.

You will know if your fireplace uses this because you will see the pilot touching two prongs.

http://www.mygasfireplacerepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Thermopile.png

One on the left is the Thermocouple, and its responsible for keeping the gas on while the pilot is lit. It generates a small current when heated that is enough to keep the gas pilot valve open for the small pilot flame.

One on the right, is the thermopile, and its job is to generate a larger current to open the gas valve all the way to enable the main burner to light and stay running.

Great resource here: http://www.mygasfireplacerepair.com/

Let us know how it goes.

I'll have to look again but from what I remember, (its our rental property) the pilot light is on but it just won't "catch" when we flick the switch on the wall. I'll try and replace the whole thing I guess when we get a chance to go down there again but yeah, sometimes it flicks on but it takes a few tries. The pilot though seems to always be on. :dunno:

Christian@IE
01-22-2015, 03:17 PM
I had a different issue a while ago: the flame would fire up but after a while it would just go out. Could be anywhere from two minutes to over an hour later. I read a lot of online DIY tips and ended up changing out the thermopile, thermocouple, and while I was at it all the wiring as the thing was about 30 years old. With all the new components installed I couldn't get it to fire up at all.

I decided to just return everything to the store and reinstalled the old components, but cleaned them all before putting them back in. Worked fine after that.

Masked Bandit
01-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This is a common issue. I had one of my fireplaces on a decora switch, and swapping to the "old school" switch solved the problem 100%. Too bad this didn't work for you, but for anyone else with this issue, it's an easy thing to try.

When I was first reading this thread I thought that the idea of a Decora switch versus traditional being the issue was a bit on the crazy side. And then I noticed that the only non-decora switch in my entire house is...for the fireplace. Are there any electricians on here that can tell us what the difference is?

clem24
01-22-2015, 05:12 PM
Man we have the same problem. Sometimes we just had to keep flipping the switch and it would start up after a few tries.

LUDELVR
01-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Man we have the same problem. Sometimes we just had to keep flipping the switch and it would start up after a few tries.

That's it! So did you fix it or is this problem still persistent?

rx7_turbo2
01-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

When I was first reading this thread I thought that the idea of a Decora switch versus traditional being the issue was a bit on the crazy side. And then I noticed that the only non-decora switch in my entire house is...for the fireplace. Are there any electricians on here that can tell us what the difference is?

The switch being the issue is VERY common. I've seen a number of fireplaces that fail to operate where the switch is the culprit.

A standard switch (Decora or not) is not designed for this application, they're designed for much higher voltage and current. Our fireplaces sit unused for long periods of time, I suspect the switch contacts get dirty. There may be a more complex reason, any Engineers feel free to chime in. I know of the fireplaces I've seen, 99% will fire up the second I jumper the switch terminals together, confirming the issue. Swap the switch, cheap fix.

suntan
01-23-2015, 11:57 AM
If you can replace it with a low-voltage thermostat instead. They're designed for, um, low-voltage applications.

There actually are low-voltage decora switches, I have no clue where to get them locally.

clem24
01-23-2015, 03:22 PM

That's it! So did you fix it or is this problem still persistent?

No I just tell my wife not to turn it on haha. Since the thermostat is on the main floor, once the fireplace is on, the main floor heats, thermostat thinks it's hot as fuck, and you shiver upstairs LOL.

LUDELVR
01-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Has anyone heard of an actual fireplace switch? I'm at Home Depot and they're saying I should be using a fireplace switch instead of a regular switch because it's low voltage and better for the actual fireplace so it doesn't burn it out or something. I can't quite remember what he said but does this make any sense to anyone?

suntan
01-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Has anyone heard of an actual fireplace switch? I'm at Home Depot and they're saying I should be using a fireplace switch instead of a regular switch because it's low voltage and better for the actual fireplace so it doesn't burn it out or something. I can't quite remember what he said but does this make any sense to anyone? Yes, they exist, but I have never been able to find them locally.

ianmcc
01-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Had the exact same problems (intermittently wouldn't switch on and would go out after lit) and wouldn't you know it was a faulty Decora switch. Replaced with a new switch and no issues since (three+ years).

danno
01-24-2015, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure why a regular decora can't handle the 24v fireplace, we have been installing toggle switches like you guys already know. If you don't like the toggle switch they make a 24v decora switch so you have all the same style.

Leo take your switch off touch the wires together if fireplace doesn't turn on its not the switch. Could be wiring to the ignitor or the ignitor it self. Guys strip those wires and damage them all the time, could just need to re strip them.

suntan
01-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by danno
I'm not sure why a regular decora can't handle the 24v fireplace, we have been installing toggle switches like you guys already know. If you don't like the toggle switch they make a 24v decora switch so you have all the same style. Yes and where the hell can a normal person buy these in Calgary?????

codetrap
01-24-2015, 11:05 AM
I haven't been able to find them either. Been looking for awhile now.

The_Penguin
01-24-2015, 11:17 AM
You're looking for a millivolt switch. The last 4 fireplaces I've had have no power from anywhere (fan is an exception) and you're just switching the very low voltage from the thermocouple.

Normal light switches can sometimes work, but can be flaky as they don't need to have as low a resistance as a millivolt switch.

I can't remember where I got my last one, it was back in the 90s. Probably an electrical wholesaler or Save-on, definitely not Home Depot/Rona.

Maxt
01-24-2015, 12:39 PM
The trick to fix this is to wire a separate control source and use a pilot duty relay that has a bifurcated contact that can reliably switch the millivolt signal. The few I've done over the years had blower fans that I connected a 120 to 24 v transformers to, then used the switch and thermostat to the related wiring to control the relay, wiring the fireplace millivolt control through the relay contacts.

danno
01-24-2015, 12:45 PM
If home depot doesn't have it. Try eecol.

LUDELVR
01-24-2015, 07:20 PM
I went to Mr. Fireplace on 17th and 52nd and these picked one up. Looks exactly the same, but 10 times the price. In any case, swapped it out in the rental and still no go. I'm just going to call someone to go have a look because I can't be bothered. So someone suggested who NOT to call. Anyone on here know who I should call, the price I should be expecting to pay and what I need to know?