PDA

View Full Version : Poor drivers?

speedog
11-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Poor drivers - it seems they were everywhere this morning.

First encounter - some guy in his Dodge truck going NB on the SB ramp/road from Deerfoot Trail/Meadows to Southland Drive. Better yet, he was near the north end of the mobile home park so he had been going this wrong way for a bit. Clued out for sure.

But better yet was SB MacLeod this morning into the Avenida Mall complex at Lake Fraser Gate. Huge ass electronic sign before the intersection saying no left turns, multiple other electronic lit and static signage saying no left turns plus a lowered boom at the end with flashing lights on it and there this middle-aged white woman sits right in front of the lowered boom with her left blinker on. Now I didn't think this was rocket science or even anything close to it, but apparently this lady is either just plain stupid or is blind. She did eventually figure things out and proceeded SB on MacLeod but how she missed all the signage that informs drivers that they can not do what she was attempting to do is beyond me.

Two very poor drivers that I encountered on our roads within a very short time span - drivers that just shouldn't be in the predicaments they were in and yet they were. Maybe they were more elderly than they appeared to me, maybe they were just that poor at driving and reacting to the driving environment they were in - I really don't know. But one has to wonder what would happen if they were faced with an emergency unfolding right in front of them to which they had to react to save themselves?

mr2mike
11-14-2014, 02:14 PM
The opposite. Rich drivers?
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/rainin.gif

snowcat
11-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Welcome to calgary. /thread

Dumbass17
11-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I get so angry when I see people that don't scrape their windows when it's frosty as hell out
They dont' clear snow off their tail lights, headlights and signal lights. I almost t-boned a guy at a 4 way because we arrived at the same time, I couldn't see a speck of his head/signal lights and assumed he was going straight at the same time I was and he turns left right infront of me.

And for the love of god, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS when it's SNOWY, RAINY OR DARK!!

So many people either don't care or assume that their 'daytime running lights' will come on when it's dark. SOME vehicles taillights/headlights will come on when set to Auto, however, there are tons of cars where only the headlights come on and the back of their car is dark.

Spread the word, test your car's Auto settings and see if your tail lights come on

/end rant

n1zm0
11-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Poorly judgmental drivers - it seems they were everywhere this morning.

FTFY

speedog
11-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
FTFY
Thx. I suppose they could've been poor but that'd be difficult to ascertain from what I saw.

speedog
11-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
Welcome to calgary. /thread
No, there's probably drivers like this everywhere but these two kind of stood out this morning.

revelations
11-14-2014, 02:51 PM
After living in Vancouver for 13 years, Calgary drivers on average are night and day better.

Everything is relative.

01RedDX
11-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Dumbass17
11-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Yeah I always say this, have you ever seen what happens there after a light dusting of snow? Complete pandemonium.

Haha, same thing when I was in Austraila but with rain. little bit of rain? everyone drives like a 90 year old with no legs...or eyes...or ears....

revelations
11-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Yeah I always say this, have you ever seen what happens there after a light dusting of snow? Complete pandemonium.

Yea, I lived in Richmond for about 3. It was sad watching FOBs in their $100k silver Mercedes SUVs spinning about and getting stuck on the medians.

Meanwhile, I'd drive through the residential areas to avoid the carnage.

All this in a community that is flatter than Chestermere and has next to zero road curves.

Dumbass17
11-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Question:

Why doesn't Calgary paint their curbs/raised medians yellow?

I'm assuming it has to do with cost of repainting them when the salt eats away at it/snow blades scrape it off :dunno:

BavarianBeast
11-14-2014, 04:14 PM
why can't retards merge onto deerfoot going anything more than 50kph?

Seriously. Every. Fucking. Day.

Some dumb cunt on a mile long merge going 50 until he has to get onto a highway where everyone is doing 100+. EVERY DAY!

revelations
11-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Some dumb cunt on a mile long merge going 50 until he has to get onto a highway where everyone is doing 100+. EVERY DAY!

Yea I dont get that either. Its like jumping into a fast flowing river with floating logs. You want to get moving at the speed of the river BEFORE you hit the water.

What really strikes me as strange is when I see the same motorist doing an F1 start from a green light but then dithers when it comes time to accelerate to highway speeds and merge.

Are people afraid of highway speeds?

Dumbass17
11-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

I feel you
but I have to go from southbound Deerfoot onto Glenmore East. Good lord, trying to merge there is tough and sketchy. People are ripping on Glenmore East trying to go Deerfoot north and going 100there and it's just dodgy, every day.

Sigh

revelations
11-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

I feel you
but I have to go from southbound Deerfoot onto Glenmore East. Good lord, trying to merge there is tough and sketchy. People are ripping on Glenmore East trying to go Deerfoot north and going 100there and it's just dodgy, every day.

Sigh

At that location, I usually wait about 5 car lengths behind the person parked RIGHT on the edge of the yield - that way I have a running start if a gap opens. :dunno:

(on the motorcycle I dont bother)

Dumbass17
11-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations

At that location, I usually wait about 5 car lengths behind the person parked RIGHT on the edge of the yield - that way I have a running start if a gap opens. :dunno:

(on the motorcycle I dont bother)

YOU!!!! YOU'RE THE WORST!!!

Just pull up and park on a 45deg angle to see the oncoming traffic so you can see them easier without using your mirrors. Then when a semi comes, drive infront of it.

i kid i kid:bigpimp:

But it's a bad interchange. I like it when traffic is slow and it alternates entering traffic.

Calgary public, in general, are aggressive and discourteous drivers. And I include myself in this generalization.

DeeK
11-18-2014, 09:01 AM
After living in Richmond for 8 years, I'm glad to be moving back to Calgary where things are relatively sane. So it really makes me laugh when I hear "Calgary drivers are the worst" or something to that tune. Yes, there are bad drivers in Calgary, but not nearly to the extent or frequency as other places such as Richmond. Every single car on the road is not trying to kill you.

Yesterday, I saw a young chinese lady, in a Ferrari F430, drive down a major highway here, stop in the middle of the highway, in the middle lane, let her passenger out to run across the highway to the bus stop on the other side of the 6 lanes. Then she pulled a u-turn and went against oncoming traffic so she could go back to the previous exit.

This is acceptable (and common) practice here because rules and laws are mere suggestions.

revelations
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
^ yea it was comical - and sad at the same time.

Watched a Silver Mercedes do a u turn in the middle on #3 and Westminster Hwy (Calgary equivalent, Macleod and Southland) , which took about 3 minutes. Traffic was backed up yet no one honked, because everyone thought it was normal :dunno:

Hallowed_point
11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
I find traffic moves a lot faster in Vancouver Richmond area. It's a lot more random sure. And you get the crazy fobs that just dgaf and putter along in the fast lane/cut you off but it's the same in the NE here. Overall I prefer driving in Vancouver over Calgary. At least people know how to merge at the speed limit there.

never
11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I find traffic moves a lot faster in Vancouver Richmond area.

Are you on crack? Vancouver rush hour traffic is re-fucking-diculous! Even off-peak times it can be pretty brutal.

supe
11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
I'll just add here because I don't want to start a new thread.

Was driving downtown during morning rush hour and at a green light but the traffic was stopped in front of the intersection so I stopped before entering the intersection. Guy behind me honked and gave me two middle fingers. WTF.

max_boost
11-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Because yyc. Also speedog you lived here too long. The City has gone to shits. lol

Dumbass17
11-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by supe
I'll just add here because I don't want to start a new thread.

Was driving downtown during morning rush hour and at a green light but the traffic was stopped in front of the intersection so I stopped before entering the intersection. Guy behind me honked and gave me two middle fingers. WTF.

A Calgary city BUS did that to me a few weeks ago. honked and honked and there was nowhere for me to go. I'm not going to block the intersection OR the cross walks. People here are also TERRIBLE for stopping behind/at stop lines. i constantly see cars pull up and just park in a cross walk. grrrrr

DeeK
11-18-2014, 02:52 PM
I find traffic moves a lot faster in Vancouver Richmond area.

Never been here, have you?

Vancouver area was just rated as the longest driving times due to traffic in ALL of north america, by tomtom, and onstar. But when there is no traffic then sure, traffic moves faster, because 50kph really means 150kph. What traffic laws? yeah, none here.

Yes, worse than the epic traffic jams in LA and new york.

revelations
11-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

Never been here, have you?

Vancouver area was just rated as the longest driving times due to traffic in ALL of north america, by tomtom, and onstar. But when there is no traffic then sure, traffic moves faster, because 50kph really means 150kph. What traffic laws? yeah, none here.

Yes, worse than the epic traffic jams in LA and new york.

haha, many people did 90-100kph on Granville/Oak during off peak times. (60 zone)

It was insane as there were often vehicles parked on the street in the evening and people would go to pass at highway speeds and just plow into a parked vehicle.

Disoblige
11-18-2014, 04:32 PM

People here are also TERRIBLE for stopping behind/at stop lines. i constantly see cars pull up and just park in a cross walk. grrrrr
It's the opposite IMO. Cars park a half or full car length behind the stop line.

Hallowed_point
11-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by never
Are you on crack? Vancouver rush hour traffic is re-fucking-diculous! Even off-peak times it can be pretty brutal. I never lived in Vancouver (Vancouver Island) but I find whenever I go to visit family around Richmond/Steveston traffic isn't nearly as bad. It's heavy, but people seem to have adapted. Downtown Vancouver I'm sure is mental. But I still find that you rarely completely "stop" like how I do everyday on Glenmore. Or the odd time I end up on Derpfoot.

Dumbass17
11-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

It's the opposite IMO. Cars park a half or full car length behind the stop line.

Weird. I never see that haha.

God, I almost had a tantrum this am on the drive to work. Following some car at like 7:15 on Deerfoot so its dark as hell. I must've highbeam flashed her 300times in the matter of 5 minutes. Even when traffic stopped and my lights were in here rear view mirror, I highbeam flashed the hell out of her. She didn't even acknowledge or seem to know that i was signalling to her to TURN HER DAMN LIGHTS ON!!!!

Grrrrrr :whipped:

tha_bandit
11-19-2014, 09:35 AM
I highbeam flashed the hell out of her. She didn't even acknowledge or seem to know that i was signalling to her to TURN HER DAMN LIGHTS ON!!!!

Prob had no clue as to what that means anyway, same idea as before too, others driving with their hi beams on, and you flash them, and again they have no clue. As long as their dash cluster is lit up and bright!

jwslam
11-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Yesterday, I saw a young chinese lady, in a Ferrari F430, drive down a major highway here, stop in the middle of the highway, in the middle lane, let her passenger out to run across the highway to the bus stop on the other side of the 6 lanes. Then she pulled a u-turn and went against oncoming traffic so she could go back to the previous exit.

This is acceptable (and common) practice here because rules and laws are mere suggestions.

Originally posted by revelations
^ yea it was comical - and sad at the same time.

Watched a Silver Mercedes do a u turn in the middle on #3 and Westminster Hwy (Calgary equivalent, Macleod and Southland) , which took about 3 minutes. Traffic was backed up yet no one honked, because everyone thought it was normal :dunno:
Can I hit those people and have insurance vere on my side? Not that they really care because those FOB's have all the money in the world so :whocares:

jwslam
11-19-2014, 09:42 AM
God, I almost had a tantrum this am on the drive to work. Following some car at like 7:15 on Deerfoot so its dark as hell. I must've highbeam flashed her 300times in the matter of 5 minutes. Even when traffic stopped and my lights were in here rear view mirror, I highbeam flashed the hell out of her. She didn't even acknowledge or seem to know that i was signalling to her to TURN HER DAMN LIGHTS ON!!!!

I find that is an issue with those damn illuminated instrument clusters. I mean, it really wasn't an issue years ago when YOU HAD TO TURN ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS TO SEE YOUR SPEEDO. So glad my car has an auto funtion, otherwise I'd be the guy getting highbeamed at. :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

Oh and then you have those people who think one click is headlights and two clicks is "high beams". :banghead: :banghead:

revelations
11-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Can I hit those people and have insurance vere on my side? Not that they really care because those FOB's have all the money in the world so :whocares:

If they are already in the middle of the road already then its like hitting a parked car as far as insurance.

If they SUDDENLY turn in front of you, then its not your fault.

xMQIECfKQgw

Dumbass17
11-19-2014, 10:36 AM

I find that is an issue with those damn illuminated instrument clusters. I mean, it really wasn't an issue years ago when YOU HAD TO TURN ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS TO SEE YOUR SPEEDO. So glad my car has an auto funtion, otherwise I'd be the guy getting highbeamed at. :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

Oh and then you have those people who think one click is headlights and two clicks is "high beams". :banghead: :banghead:

Yeah man.
I have Auto and I leave it at that, BUT I checked and my Auto is full headlights AND tailights. Not those stupid tiny orange amber lights in the front like a lot of older vehicles. I also switch to full lights when it's raining or snowing. I just wish others would do the same.

DeeK
11-19-2014, 11:56 AM

You better have 15 cameras in your car and a witness list a mile long. The Girlfriend was stopped at a red light early in the morning, nobody around. Got smoked by some chinese lady flying over the curb out of nowhere, there was nobody in the ladies car other than her. ICBC blamed my girlfriend because the other party had 30 "witnesses" call in after the claim file was started. Even if they didn't it would have been considered a 50-50 fault because of a lack of proof. This happens ALL the time here.

Dumbass17
11-20-2014, 08:42 AM
^^^^^ wow
That's absurd

firebane
11-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

It's the opposite IMO. Cars park a half or full car length behind the stop line. I see this so often.

Then I'll come up to the crosswalk and stop on the line and people are walking OUTSIDE the crosswalk and then give me dirty looks because THEY almost get hit.

Get the fuck in the crosswalk if you value your life.

DeeK
11-20-2014, 12:39 PM
I never lived in Vancouver (Vancouver Island) but I find whenever I go to visit family around Richmond/Steveston traffic isn't nearly as bad. It's heavy, but people seem to have adapted. Downtown Vancouver I'm sure is mental. But I still find that you rarely completely "stop" like how I do everyday on Glenmore. Or the odd time I end up on Derpfoot.

It's actually quite the opposite, downtown Vancouver is pretty good with the exception of the Lion's Gate bridge. Pick any other road in the vancouver greater area and you'll be stopped at some point due to too much traffic, and not because of a red light.

Now those same roads at rush hour out here. You get stuck for hours, with no way to turn off. I sat in traffic for nearly four hours and moved maybe a kilometer on knight street.

Steveston is hit or miss, sometimes its completely dead, and sometimes it's like going to chinook center (prior to the parking lot upgrades) the week before christmas.

snowcat
11-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Then I'll come up to the crosswalk and stop on the line and people are walking OUTSIDE the crosswalk and then give me dirty looks because THEY almost get hit.

:rofl: :rofl:

100% agree. I don't drive on the sidewalk, get the fuck off the road/in the cross walk.

firebane
11-20-2014, 12:46 PM

It's actually quite the opposite, downtown Vancouver is pretty good with the exception of the Lion's Gate bridge. Pick any other road in the vancouver greater area and you'll be stopped at some point due to too much traffic, and not because of a red light.

Now those same roads at rush hour out here. You get stuck for hours, with no way to turn off. I sat in traffic for nearly four hours and moved maybe a kilometer on knight street.

Steveston is hit or miss, sometimes its completely dead, and sometimes it's like going to chinook center (prior to the parking lot upgrades) the week before christmas.

LOL Steveston. No 1 road becomes a shit show down there during the days when its nice.

SCHIDER23
11-21-2014, 12:50 AM
I see this so often.

Lol I done that a few times , not long ago this moron was standing about 4 feet from sidewalk into my lane at the light, I think it was center street by calgary tower. Anyways I gunned it, and got pretty damn closed, probably took a few hairs from his arm. Guy jumped back to sidewalk and was shaking his hands, probably yelling lmao :poosie:

jwslam
11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
100% agree. I don't drive on the sidewalk, get the fuck off the road/in the cross walk.
If only this were true, then I wouldn't have to deal with damn jaywalkers who have their noses glued to their cell phones with headphones in
http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/IiI_vfICaNyyC-sIQlnYnu1Of0A=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2466040/3206.0.jpg
http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/18/7236471/cars-pedestrians-roads

edit: I can't get the IMG to work. Can someone please see what's going on?

firebane
11-21-2014, 08:56 AM

If only this were true, then I wouldn't have to deal with damn jaywalkers who have their noses glued to their cell phones with headphones in
http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/IiI_vfICaNyyC-sIQlnYnu1Of0A=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2466040/3206.0.jpg
http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/18/7236471/cars-pedestrians-roads

edit: I can't get the IMG to work. Can someone please see what's going on?

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/IiI_vfICaNyyC-sIQlnYnu1Of0A=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2466040/3206.0.jpg

Dumbass17
11-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SCHIDER23

Lol I done that a few times , not long ago this moron was standing about 4 feet from sidewalk into my lane at the light, I think it was center street by calgary tower. Anyways I gunned it, and got pretty damn closed, probably took a few hairs from his arm. Guy jumped back to sidewalk and was shaking his hands, probably yelling lmao :poosie:

it's those kinda of retards that stand RIGHT on the edge of the radius of the curb at an intersection. Stand back, your toes don't have to be on the edge. And then a bus mirror will almost knick them or something and they give a dirty look. I am in a vehicle. You are a human. Vehicle > human, last time I checked

16hypen3sp
11-21-2014, 10:56 PM
My Dad told me a pretty funny story today. He had just bought an Audi Q something or other this summer and was in a grocery store parking lot (Peachland B.C.) waiting for a vehicle to back out so he could take his spot. As he's waiting, some guy in an Audi car reverses out of his stall and broadsides my dads car on the passenger side.

They get out to exchange info and my dad asks him how he didn't see him waiting in the aisle to which this guy says "I did see you."

My dad, confused at this point, says "Well why the hell did you hit me then?"

Guy says "You took too long. I just reversed."

:confused:

jwslam
11-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Vehicle > human, last time I checked
Nobody in the Western world is taught that. Instead we bubble them with bike lanes, cross walk flags, and 30 for sunnyside.

Dumbass17
11-26-2014, 10:02 AM
speaking of this thread.

Last night heading home, I was second in line in the left turn lane to turn left onto 16th avenue from Northbound Edmonton Trail. The advance turn left signal turns green and the car infront of me goes and I proceed to follow when the fuckhead in the straight through lane to my right that was also second in line, decides to cut in between the front of me and the back of the car directly infront of him and turn left instead of going through. I swear he was going to rip the front end of my SUV off.
He knew he fucked up cause he sped off and knew I was chasing him to spew some obscenities at him. (my temper raged as this was a very close call and my beloved vehicle has already been hit this winter a month after buying it)

bjstare
11-26-2014, 10:23 AM
I'd like to have a little rant as well..

On the weekend, I was headed out of DT on 5ave, second lane from the left (which would end up on Edmonton Trail). Go through the green light at 3rd st SE (which had been green for a while), and a foreign woman in a minivan blows through the red light on northbound 3rd st and across two lanes diagonally into mine. She got so close to plowing right into my passenger side that as I was dodging her, I was braced for impact. I was absolutely livid and wanted to yell at her at the next stoplight. When I saw who was driving, I didn't even bother cause she probably wouldn't have even known she did anything wrong:rolleyes:

schocker
11-26-2014, 10:52 AM
My favorite thing is people turning left from 8th st to 4th ave. The lanes have dotted lines to show which lane to turn into, and taking the outer lane, everyone always turns into you. It is great fun.

Also someone this morning merging by changing lanes with no lights on in the dark and not signaling when there are two cars approaching at much faster speeds and then panicking and straddling the middle of both lanes. :banghead:

ichewyou
11-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Talking about 4th avenue. I was on Centre North Bound at around 12:00 ish time, saw this SUV (Heading North Bound) in the South Bound Left Lane trying to turn Left onto 4th Avenue. Traffic lights were green and the other opposite side car were all scratching their heads. I honked and drove away :nut: :nut:

firebane
11-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Here is another idiotic one I have been seeing lately. Heading west on 9th you'll come up to this interestion. At this intersection you'll see above the lights is a "left turn" and a "straight through" sign.

The fuckers go into the straight through and turn left...

https://goo.gl/maps/UKHzV

jwslam
11-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Here is another idiotic one I have been seeing lately. Heading west on 9th you'll come up to this interestion. At this intersection you'll see above the lights is a "left turn" and a "straight through" sign.

The fuckers go into the straight through and turn left...

https://goo.gl/maps/UKHzV
Before I clicked the link, I was ready to call YOU the bad driver for heading west on 9th because it's one way east all through downtown :rofl:

BavarianBeast
11-26-2014, 01:47 PM
How many people on this forum know the rules of one-ways?

It seems like 90% of the people driving don't have a fucking clue on what they are allowed to do when turning from a one way onto a one way.

firebane
11-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Before I clicked the link, I was ready to call YOU the bad driver for heading west on 9th because it's one way east all through downtown :rofl:

LOL shit yes east bound not west hahaha.

01RedDX
11-26-2014, 03:10 PM

Dumbass17
11-26-2014, 04:53 PM

I just take a series of right turns to make my lefts.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0b/0bfcc76df15d447ab9cb786108fd92e7bae64225e5c829d5daae3c719f6129b3.jpg