PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Meads?

Robin Goodfellow
11-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Been working my way through local offerings of meads in the last while.

Fallen Timber and Chinook Honey are tied for first place, neck and neck.

Fallen Timber seems more consistently available than Chinook, but anytime I'm out okotoks way, I stop by chinook and grab a few bottles.

Both make flawless traditional meads/Metheglins.

Fallen Timber's Hopped mead is worth a try.... It's hoppier than the hoppiest IPA. It is an *interesting* flavor. My wife really likes it... I don't know that I do, but look forward to trying it again.

My seven year old daughter hates it.

Also tried spirit hills... the one I tried was TERRIBLE. It was only one of several varieties they offer, but it was bad enough that I would probably not try again.

There's another brand, with a stained glass shield on the label... can't remember the name, but it was too sweet for me. May buy if I ever want a really sweet mead, which will probably be never.

Seen a few other pricier brands out there, but didn't care to risk them, when I was already pretty happy with either Chinook or Fallen Timber.

Love to hear other mead reviews, or anything else I'm potentially missing out on.

Unknown303
11-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Fallen Timber is amazing and if you like it you should definitely swing by the Meadery, it's in a great location and offer samples and a nice little tour.

Robin Goodfellow
11-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Fallen Timber is amazing and if you like it you should definitely swing by the Meadery, it's in a great location and offer samples and a nice little tour.

Thank you for the kick in the pants. I actually think I'm going to do that.

The challenge is the same as I experience at Chinook Honey with their mead.....I want to sample sample sample, but being the DD, all I can do is smell smell smell. I May take a sip, but nothing more (always with kids in tow).

Nonetheless, I'm going to put your fallen timber suggestion in the "todo queue"..

Haven't tried their saskatoon mead yet... But looking forward to it.

Saskatoon Mead, like fellatio, is an idea that is simultaneously self-evident, and brilliant.

Between Fallen Timber and Chinook, we're pretty blessed around here.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

saskatoon mead

Why didn't anyone tell me this was a thing

Kritafo
11-15-2014, 11:48 PM
we are all about Chinook Honey nothing better than driving out and having Art pour and pour and pour. lol I love the Bodacious Black Currant and Cherry Mi Amor we have the Vanilla Bochet but I find it just too sweet I have to add something to it. I am happy it's almost Christmas nothing nicer than turning on the crock pot with some mead with mulling spice. mmm

Unknown303
11-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
Haven't tried their saskatoon mead yet... But looking forward to it.

Saskatoon Mead, like fellatio, is an idea that is simultaneously self-evident, and brilliant.

Between Fallen Timber and Chinook, we're pretty blessed around here.

The saskatoon mead was really good. I'm a huge fan of the hopped mead and when I was there they actually shared an unreleased batch of their braggot mead. Which in my opinion is probably the best one of the bunch. The family that runs the place are amazing and very friendly. They have been in the honey business for a long time but the sons saw an opportunity to start into the mead market and it's really taking off for them. I obviously went on the tour :love: and I'll definitely be heading there again just to chat with them and enjoy a few samples on their amazing property.

timdog
11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Agreed that Chinook and Fallen Timber are great. they consistently make great meads. and also agreed that Spirit Hills is awful. I'm honestly not an expert, but I do homebrew and make mead as well, and I know some of the common off-flavours. They have bad/hot fermentation, I'm 100% sure of it. you can taste it in every single one of their offerings.

MalibuStacy
11-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Fallen Timber hands down. One of my summer favourites, makes a perfect bottle for sitting by the fire.

jsn
11-28-2014, 10:06 AM
I tried fallen Timber Hopped mead for the first time about a month ago. Seems like some restaurants are starting to carry it and they're marketing it as a beer or beer alternative. It was undeer the beer section. I asked her twice and she said it was a beer:nut:

I loved it and bought a few bottles afterwards.