PDA

View Full Version : Wtf? Winter storing a STI

Pages : 1 [2]

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Not to mention it's easy to find people willing to deliver for you when you tell them the delivery car is a BMW :rofl: :burnout: :thumbsup:

Do you need any part time help? I can even provide my own car lol.

D88
11-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Completely disagree. My BRZ is down right boring and painful to drive daily, it's much better suited to a weekend toy and racecar. If you plan on keeping cars long enough depreciation isn't even a thought in the whole process. Drive whatever you own is best to drive on a daily basis and don't worry about whether it's getting used enough or costing you money or what.

What I said is not an end all be all reason to not drive your car in the winter. Some people simply have better winter cars available to drive. My response was focused more on OP's post about a guy who owns a car that couldn't be more winter capable from the factory and decides to baby it in his garage.

Cos
11-18-2014, 08:11 PM

Xtrema
11-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

There's a wide variety of reasons, everyone is in a different situation so sometimes leasing is more attractive.

- Different taxation / write off rules for a company vehicle if its leased

Yes but watch for what you can get away with.

- If the buyout at the end is appropriate it saves hassle of selling the vehicle if you decide to get something else. No dealing with kijiji lowballers as well as your not forced to go back to a stealership to trade it in

Not going to happen as often as used to be but the new C400 buy out do sound high = lower payments and/or easy ditch at lease end.

- Even if you want to keep the vehicle long term it gives you the term of your lease to decide if its a lemon and either keep it or dump it if its junk.

- If you get in a big accident or something it could depreciate the value of your vehicle when selling it, whereas a lease is unaffected due to the terms of it (provided its repaired at a licensed place, which it would be because insurance)

Biggest peace of mind on leasing.

- Lower monthly payment, for the ballers on a budget that are trying to act rich you can get a nicer vehicle for less $. Stupid decision financially but a choice that some people choose to make.

True. Financially, leasing only work if you have cash to buy the same car out right. But decided the cash works better elsewhere than a depreciating asset. Or back to 1st point, tax write off.

- Sometimes easier to get rid of. You can find someone to simply do a lease takeover and do the transfer paperwork. With selling a car you need to deal with getting your financing paid off and then their situation, *sometimes* a lease transfer is less headache, depending on the circumstance

Especially on luxury cars.

Aleks
11-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Can someone explain to me the benefits of leasing, and what your mental process is of why you're doing this?

The only thing I've heard about leasing is that it's great if it's a company vehicle that you intend to change every couple years. But I'd like to know more specifics on this.

I do it because I like to try different cars every 6-12 months. I search for lowest monthly payments (0 down) on cars that I hope are popular and I won't have trouble "selling" or having someone take over.

I leased a 2013 STI for 3 months for $477/month and got rid of it with no incentive for example. This may be a bad example as looking at kijiji STIs go up in value in the first 2 years it seems :rofl:

Hallowed_point
11-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Cos
No way would I or could I winter drive my Cobra. That being said my truck isn't really a winter beater. LOL

*Paging M.ALEX (I think his Cobra doesn't even have ABS - now that's sketchy!)

Isn't yours stock height Cos? Get some blizzacs dude!

I really, really miss the selectable traction control that my f-body had for winter driving. It was great, you could drift a little and it would save your skin. With ABS only, best be careful!

Cos
11-19-2014, 05:46 PM

ercchry
11-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I COULD winter drive it but why? I have a truck, and a car, and the cobra, and a bike. I know people who ride their motorbikes in the winter too, doesn't mean I want to.

I am in the minority apparently. I didn't buy my car to be a garage queen but I don't believe what you guys are saying that you have to drive the car every day otherwise you are wasting it.

see, im driving the lexus this year... cause some of us dont want to be "that guy" with a million toys littering the garage, driveway, and street :poosie:

Ymerej472008
11-19-2014, 07:11 PM
I winter drive my ISF cause one car makes more sense to me, good tires, respectable driver and not many KMs throughout the winter helps preserve cars during the dreaded season..

pheoxs
11-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

see, im driving the lexus this year... cause some of us dont want to be "that guy" with a million toys littering the garage, driveway, and street :poosie:

My neighbours don't use their rear parking pad at all so I park one of my toys at their house and keep my other 2 behind my house :bigpimp:

never
11-19-2014, 10:09 PM

That's why I moved out of the city and got property!! You can put shit everywhere!

But I do have an $800 pimp-mobile currently residing in the garage while the DD sits outside.

Cos
11-20-2014, 12:08 AM

JordanLotoski
11-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Beyond ballers don't pay cash for a depreciating asset, we invest the $$$ elsewhere to make more $$$ and write off the car payment :bigpimp:

Iam 50/50

Lease my daily driver, Summer toys have to be paid off, couldn't stomach a payment on a car that sits in the garage all winter

Unknown303
11-20-2014, 01:02 AM

Just don't go storing that Lexus in the ditch again. :poosie:

heavyD
11-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I leased a 2013 STI for 3 months for $477/month and got rid of it with no incentive for example. This may be a bad example as looking at kijiji STIs go up in value in the first 2 years it seems :rofl:

Are people actually getting close to the asking price for late model GR's? I just don't understand why people in the used market would pay close to new car value for used STI's. I've been tempted to put mine up for sale but with house renovations I'm a little tight on cash these days.

Aleks
11-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Are people actually getting close to the asking price for late model GR's? I just don't understand why people in the used market would pay close to new car value for used STI's. I've been tempted to put mine up for sale but with house renovations I'm a little tight on cash these days.

Not sure if they are getting it or not, but I see 2011 - 2013s list for 35-40k.

phreezee
11-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Example of a low mileage STi selling for above average market value:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-sedan/1033061092?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hallowed_point
11-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Example of a low mileage STi selling for above average market value:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-sedan/1033061092?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true Doesn't mean anyone is going to buy it for that outrageous price though.

Shlade
11-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Subaru drivers are retarded lol somebody's gonna buy that for sure

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

Hey hey now, only some of us are special :P

tehwegz
11-20-2014, 09:18 PM
I look at a lot of Subaru prices and think people are way out too lunch.

Bottom of the barrel are the bug eyes with 200xxx km's, the slowest of the bunch, and a junk 5spd manual that blows at random. Not a bad way to spend 10k?

All the way to 30k for 2008, 80k km's, EJ257. Like, hello. Evo X called. *snap snap* 4b11 all the things.

Only Subaru I could see myself buying is a ej20g/k RHD, lightly used for reasonable price straight from land of the rising sun. Maybe St/B Forester.

heavyD
11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Shlade

I take offense to that. We own two Subarus but you will never find a Subaru owner that is less a fanboy than I.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As an owner I'm glad they hold their value but there's no way I would ever buy one used as at the end of the day their vehicles are very average at best at everything as the paint is bad, the interiors are bad, the turbo engines at least are really bad. The AWD systems are pretty good though, they offer at least average reliability, and while they are lower quality cars than say a Honda they have more personality. I think a lot of Subaru owners border on the most fanatical as you see owners that will continue buying STI's generation after generation despite having 2-3 engines replaced and putting up with lots of issues that would normally drive off people from owning another.

pheoxs
11-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by tehwegz
I look at a lot of Subaru prices and think people are way out too lunch.

Bottom of the barrel are the bug eyes with 200xxx km's, the slowest of the bunch, and a junk 5spd manual that blows at random. Not a bad way to spend 10k?

All the way to 30k for 2008, 80k km's, EJ257. Like, hello. Evo X called. *snap snap* 4b11 all the things.

Only Subaru I could see myself buying is a ej20g/k RHD, lightly used for reasonable price straight from land of the rising sun. Maybe St/B Forester.

Yeah but then you buy an Evo X and have the AYC pump fail every winter and fork out a couple grand to have it replaced.

heavyD
11-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Yeah but then you buy an Evo X and have the AYC pump fail every winter and fork out a couple grand to have it replaced.

Mine never failed in two winters.:dunno: That said I have heard that it has been a problem for some owners.

Hallowed_point
11-21-2014, 10:22 AM
My buddy with his lightly modded bugeye WRX went through 3 transmissions shifting on the street on 245 all season tires. He's an aggressive driver, but that's ridiculous. He's now in a boss 302 lol

btimbit
11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
I get this guy, I used to winter store my Volkswagen Jetta. :D

M.alex
11-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

*Paging M.ALEX (I think his Cobra doesn't even have ABS - now that's sketchy!)

Isn't yours stock height Cos? Get some blizzacs dude!

I really, really miss the selectable traction control that my f-body had for winter driving. It was great, you could drift a little and it would save your skin. With ABS only, best be careful!

ported, pullied, intake, exhaust, tune, blah blah....when November rolls around I throw on the Blizzaks and rolllllllll out :rofl:

I also don't have abs or traction control because my wheel sensor died and needs to be replaced, but I figured f-it, I don't miss those 2 things so I don't bother replacing it.

I've been doing this the last 6yrs or so w/o any issues

E46..sTyLez
11-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Not sure if they are getting it or not, but I see 2011 - 2013s list for 35-40k.

I sold my 2011 in July 2014 for $36,000 :thumbsup:

E46..sTyLez
11-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Mine never failed in two winters.:dunno: That said I have heard that it has been a problem for some owners.

and I never experienced any issues with my Sti for the 3 years I owned it. Stage 2 + airbox for about 2.5 of those years.

E46..sTyLez
11-25-2014, 04:51 PM

As an owner I'm glad they hold their value but there's no way I would ever buy one used as at the end of the day their vehicles are very average at best at everything as the paint is bad, the interiors are bad, the turbo engines at least are really bad. The AWD systems are pretty good though

Interior build quality/fit and finish was the reason I couldn't stand mine anymore. The factory upgraded stereo was an absolute joke, pathetic. My 2001 330ci I owned 8 years ago had a WAYY better stereo haha

I still miss the driving experience though, especially in the snow. AWD is pretty good? lol It's amazing, c'mon now Heavy..

Xtrema
11-25-2014, 04:55 PM
off topic:

I just checked the dyno on the 2015 STI vs 2015 WRX, WRX seems to be a better buy with the updated engine.

E46..sTyLez
11-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
off topic:

I just checked the dyno on the 2015 STI vs 2015 WRX, WRX seems to be a better buy with the updated engine.

Because of horsepower? I believe there are a few other components that differentiate the two haha
You could be right though, WRX very well could be a better buy. HP alone shouldn't be the reason though.

Tik-Tok
11-25-2014, 05:11 PM
off topic:

Seriars?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/images/CH/FINAL-HPCOMPARO-sm.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/images/au/FINAL-hj0wgd-TQCOMPARO-sm.jpg

Xtrema
11-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Seriars?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti

At the beginning of the test, both engines are producing about 130 lb-ft after one second of throttle.
At the 2-second mark, the STI is up to 135; the WRX is already at 165 lb-ft.
At the 3-second mark, the STI is only at 140 lb-ft. The WRX is at a whopping 180 lb-ft!
At the 4-second mark, when the STI has managed to get to 145, the WRX is nearing 190.
At the 5-second mark, the STI is just pushing past 150 lb-ft; the WRX is nearing 200.
And when the WRX is making full torque (210 lb-ft in this case), the STI is only at 165.

WRX seems way more drivable as a daily driver. Sure STI is still a bit better if you wring it out but if the 2.5L get the same treatment as the 2.0L down the road, it make 2015 STI a not so good buy.

pheoxs
11-25-2014, 05:39 PM

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti

WRX seems way more drivable as a daily driver. Sure STI is still a bit better if you wring it out but if the 2.5L get the same treatment as the 2.0L down the road, it make 2015 STI a not so good buy.

Those numbers and the dyno don't seem to line up...?

Xtrema
11-25-2014, 05:41 PM

Those numbers and the dyno don't seem to line up...?

TL,DR

0 to 4000rpm, WRX > STI

4000rpm and beyond STI > WRX

dimi
11-25-2014, 06:07 PM
The spool up and transient response on the WRX is much better than the Sti, which makes for a much better daily driver. As well you get a new engine, new transmission choices along with the chassis, which is a great value proposition when you consider the overall price for the package. The Sti 6 speed is still worlds better than the Wrx 6 speed and has LSDs on front/rear axle as well as the active center, but for most people that’s a moot point.