PDA

View Full Version : Used car shopping - anyone with MMR or Adesa Market Guide access?

Strider
11-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Looking to buy a used car from a dealership and researching / gathering as much data as I can before I start putting offers out.

PM me, will pay in beer :)

Also, if I were to make an offer based on CBB or MMR + $X what would be a realistic number? I'm thinking about $1,000 - $1,500.

The car I'm looking at is certified, listed at $22k (plus fees and tax), and CBB / VMR of $14-$17.5k (average $16k)

Thanks!

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2014, 01:50 PM
So much involved with buying a used car.

I would look at the reconditioning and work they did to it and then check the market to see what a vehicle in that condition, with that type of mileage is selling for.

ExtraSlow
11-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Also, if I were to make an offer based on CBB or MMR + $X what would be a realistic number? I'm thinking about $1,000 - $1,500.

Depends on more factors than that. How long has the car sat at the dealership, how easy will it be to move? What brand is it?

I'm certain some brands require higher profit per unit than others.

Strider
11-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
So much involved with buying a used car.

I would look at the reconditioning and work they did to it and then check the market to see what a vehicle in that condition, with that type of mileage is selling for.

Thanks for your input Ryan. There's definitely a lot more factors in pricing/buying/negotiating a used car than a new one.

I got to have a look at it before reconditioning, and it doesn't need much. Probably just a power polish and new tires.

The problem with comparing to the market is that I only get to see asking prices. And in the age of Kijiji lowballing, people are tending to build wiggle room into their prices. I think going in with an offer of the next guy's asking price leaves a lot on the table.

Strider
11-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Depends on more factors than that. How long has the car sat at the dealership, how easy will it be to move? What brand is it?

I'm certain some brands require higher profit per unit than others.

It's a Honda and been on Kijiji for just about a month now.

But there's 5-6 out there at different dealerships, same year, very similar kilometres. The ones at Honda dealerships are priced a bit higher, as expected, but they're all in the same ballpark. I'd take any of them home at the right price.

Here's the thing -
I hate playing games. I'm not going to sit in some salesman's cubicle for 2-3 hours while he goes back and forth to the sales manager. And I'm not going to dick around raising my price $100-$200 at a time while they lower theirs the same.

I want to come up with a very realistic number, one that I'm happy paying and ready to walk away if it's not accepted.

Canucks3322
11-18-2014, 11:28 PM
What kind of car is this. .. why bother even paying the dealer mark up..unless it's rare car, fuck car dealerships and buy private.

NoMoreG35
11-18-2014, 11:49 PM
PM me and I can point you in the right direction. I work at Honda.