PDA

View Full Version : BMW ED - Bumper Drill?

killramos
11-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Hey I was wondering if any beyond ballers have done a ED and in particular because the car needs euro plates while in Germany do they drill the front bumper of your car?

Looking at alot of M3/4 pics of poeple who did ED on bimmerpost there is no piece to connect underneath through the air vent etc. ( The front plate holder for my 2 doesn't drill in) so it must be connected there somehow...

Euro Plate

http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/images/2014/05/m3-test.jpg

No Plate

http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/M3-M4-Road-America-1.jpg

I just see this as being a huge negative for calgarian car buyers doing ED?

I don't see any other way they can connect the plate unless its glued...

JustinMCS
11-17-2014, 03:17 PM
I asked this and its just temporarily put on the front with velcro or something - it's not permanent. i had the same question and worry as you! :)

killramos
11-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
I asked this and its just temporarily put on the front with velcro or something - it's not permanent. i had the same question and worry as you! :)

Perfect, because for me that would be a HUGE detractor to a ED. One of the est things about registering in Alberta is unmolested front bumpers. So much better looking and aerodynamic!

My GTI was originally form Manitoba and the plate holder drove me up the wall but it was drilled so removing would have been worse. I wanted to replace it with a euro holder at least...

rage2
11-17-2014, 03:22 PM
For Mercedes Euro Delivery, they drill a license plate mount unless you talk to them in advance, and bring a tow hook type mount that's TUV approved so they can use that instead of drilling. Most people don't even bother and fix the holes when they get home.

You're better off checking with BMW Euro Delivery manager to see if they even allow that option.

redline
11-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2
For Mercedes Euro Delivery, they drill a license plate mount unless you talk to them in advance, and bring a tow hook type mount that's TUV approved so they can use that instead of drilling. Most people don't even bother and fix the holes when they get home.

You're better off checking with BMW Euro Delivery manager to see if they even allow that option.

I agree with rage2 but all the BMW ED info I have is BMW tapes a temp plate on and the bumper is not drilled, but check and make sure

rage2
11-17-2014, 03:32 PM
That's really surprising that they would do that, with how stringent they are over there with TUV approval for anything non OEM.

I guess that tape is from BMW, so it's technically OEM? haha

killramos
11-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Definitely something that would be EASY to let slip through the cracks.

That would be a downer, having the holes fixed immediately on a new car :thumbsdow

Not looking to upgrade to soon here. But in a year or 2 when BMW releases a ZCP for the M3 it might be in the cards :D

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2014, 03:44 PM
As others have mentioned it's taped on at the factory. They usually keep the plate when they ship the car over here. You can ask them to leave it on the car though which makes for a cool momento.

Xtrema
11-17-2014, 04:14 PM
BTW isn't all ED plans cash deal (or you won HELOC) only? No factory finance?

killramos
11-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
BTW isn't all ED plans cash deal (or you won HELOC) only? No factory finance?

I dont think so? Its just that you do the deal with BMW NA not directly with the dealer. Dealer gets a smaller chunk.

I think it would alienate to many.

Xtrema
11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by killramos

I dont think so? Its just that you do the deal with BMW NA not directly with the dealer. Dealer gets a smaller chunk.

I think it would alienate to many.

Ok, I think I remember that payment starts on delivery, so you will still have to pay while it's on the boat for 6-8 weeks if you finance or lease.

killramos
11-17-2014, 04:27 PM

Ok, I think I remember that payment starts on delivery, so you will still have to pay while it's on the boat for 6-8 weeks if you finance or lease.

Yea the rates on M cars tend to suck pretty hard though so its a moot point versus HELOC...

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Car has to be owned on paper prior to finalizing euro delivery.

Xtrema
11-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Car has to be owned on paper prior to finalizing euro delivery.

I think that's that language I misinterpreted.

Owner can be BMW finance and anyone willing to lend on a ED car, right?

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2014, 05:04 PM

I think that's that language I misinterpreted.

Owner can be BMW finance and anyone willing to lend on a ED car, right?

Yup exactly, basically the dealer needs to be paid for the car. If the customer crashes or writes off the vehicle while in Europe BMWs insurance policy will cover the losses.