PDA

View Full Version : Best furniture stores / brands?

carson blocks
11-18-2014, 02:57 PM
I need some new home furniture (couches, kitchen table, etc) and while I'm not a beyond baller looking for $$$$ high end custom furniture, I don't want cheap pressboard crap that will fall apart in a couple years either and am ok with spending a little more for some quality. What stores or brands do you guys recommend for reasonably priced, decent quality furniture? I'm not too impressed with the Brick etc.

Mitsu3000gt
11-18-2014, 03:06 PM
In the exact situation as you, I went with Urban Barn. Most of their stuff is Made in Canada as well. I found they had the best mix of quality and price. Their warranty is also awesome on custom furniture.

For end tables, etc. look at Costco.ca. Lots of reviews to look at, great quality for the price, and free super fast shipping. If you don't like it, they have the best return policy. I have TV stands, tables, and storage ottomans from there and they are all fantastic quality - way better than the typical Brick stuff.

There are lots of decent stores though, a lot of it will depend on your personal taste. Even Ikea has some pretty well made stuff that isn't particle board.

Neil4Speed
11-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Revolve Furnishings Cross Iron Outlet, "Higher End" Ikea, Bondars Outlet would be my primary spots.

msommers
11-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Amber's looks to be having a big sale.

Depends on your style.

flipstah
11-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Nordesign up on the hill at Deerfoot Meadows. :thumbsup:

roopi
11-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Amber's looks to be having a big sale.

Depends on your style.

They were the only store in Calgary that carried the brand of dining room table I wanted. The service was so bad in there when I tried buying it that I ordered it from Ontario and had it trucked in just to avoid dealing with them.

I selected everything I wanted for the table (size, color, etc) and then they provided the list price. We chatted for a few minutes and they offered a 5-8% percent discount. I advised them that I needed to go look at another table and I'd be back in a few hours. When I came back to the store the same day I waited for the same salesperson and said I'd like to go ahead and purchase the table. His response... sorry the table is at regular price now. No discounts.

I started walking out of the store and he followed me saying wait we can still work something out. :rofl:

One shady salesman.

muse017
11-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Nordesign up on the hill at Deerfoot Meadows. :thumbsup:

+1 for Nordesign

msommers
11-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by roopi

They were the only store in Calgary that carried the brand of dining room table I wanted. The service was so bad in there when I tried buying it that I ordered it from Ontario and had it trucked in just to avoid dealing with them.

I selected everything I wanted for the table (size, color, etc) and then they provided the list price. We chatted for a few minutes and they offered a 5-8% percent discount. I advised them that I needed to go look at another table and I'd be back in a few hours. When I came back to the store the same day I waited for the same salesperson and said I'd like to go ahead and purchase the table. His response... sorry the table is at regular price now. No discounts.

I started walking out of the store and he followed me saying wait we can still work something out. :rofl:

One shady salesman.

I don't know whether to shake my head or just roll over and laugh!

How are the table and chairs holding up to daily use? I was in there a few months ago with my Mom helping her deal with sales staff in case they tried bullshitting her. The guy seemed decent enough, relatively anyways ;)

roopi
11-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I don't know whether to shake my head or just roll over and laugh!

How are the table and chairs holding up to daily use? I was in there a few months ago with my Mom helping her deal with sales staff in case they tried bullshitting her. The guy seemed decent enough, relatively anyways ;)

Table is great. It was a custom made table through some Amish company. I ended up getting it cheaper from Ontario even after shipping it in. Amber's does carry some good brands I just wish the service was better.

ddduke
11-18-2014, 08:45 PM
We refurnished our entire house a few years back and went to Restoration Hardware and Chintz & Co. for damn near anything. 2 years later everything is still in like new condition and no complaints what so ever, I definitely think it's worth spending the extra money to get something that will last and you won't have to replace for a while.

I bought my office chair from Chintz 6 years ago, use it constantly, has thousands of hours of ass time in it and still looks like brand new. I thought $2k was a bit much to spend for something like that but really glad I bought it and will likely use it for years to come.

I'm also a huge fan of rustic and Victorian styling which I feel is almost timeless compared to many modern styles.

diamondedge
11-18-2014, 08:55 PM
In no particular order: Nordesign, EQ3, Crate & Barrel, Urban Barn, (higher end) IKEA, Metro Element, Amber, Ashley, Restoration Hardware, Jacques.

I hit all of these places when I moved out...

Newer one that's a little easier on the wallet but ticks the boxes is Structube, they have some pretty decent selection.

nj2Type-S
02-03-2015, 01:14 AM
my wife and i will be moving into a newly-built house in a few months *fingers crossed*. we sold, or gave away pretty much all of our things when we moved out. we've basically got nothing except for our clothes, and some plates and cutlery lol.

we'd like to buy everything from one store to maximize the discounts. from your guys' experience, how much of a price reduction can we expect if we buy all of our furniture (bedroom, dining, living) and miscellaneous decorations from one store?

honestly, i'm finding the designs pretty similar from the places previously mentioned, so i guess the "bang for the buck" is what it comes down to.

thanks!

jwslam
02-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
we'd like to buy everything from one store to maximize the discounts. from your guys' experience, how much of a price reduction can we expect if we buy all of our furniture (bedroom, dining, living) and miscellaneous decorations from one store?
Not that you'll be shopping there, but my buddy told me Ikea charges shipping and delivery per piece, no combined discounts. Something to check for whatever store you end up at.

Lex350
02-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Revolve Furnishings Cross Iron Outlet, "Higher End" Ikea, Bondars Outlet would be my primary spots.

NO, NO ,NO,NO NO, NO, NO.....NO. Do not buy from Revolve. I said it many times before. They are not the same store they used to be. Most of their stuff is some China and you can find it elsewhere in Canada or on the next for about 40% less. It is not high end stuff.
Some stores to try:

Domicle
Urban Barn
Urban Living
Limitless Calgary
F2 Furnishings
EQ
Home Evolution

You should be able to find something reasonable at one of these places.

Lex350
02-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
We refurnished our entire house a few years back and went to Restoration Hardware and Chintz & Co. for damn near anything. 2 years later everything is still in like new condition and no complaints what so ever, I definitely think it's worth spending the extra money to get something that will last and you won't have to replace for a while.

I bought my office chair from Chintz 6 years ago, use it constantly, has thousands of hours of ass time in it and still looks like brand new. I thought $2k was a bit much to spend for something like that but really glad I bought it and will likely use it for years to come.

I'm also a huge fan of rustic and Victorian styling which I feel is almost timeless compared to many modern styles.

This!
They both carry some nice stuff but I would think it is a bit pricey for what most people seem to think furniture should cost. Everybody wants quality for Ikea prices.

suntan
02-03-2015, 11:45 AM
If you want office chairs Source should be your first destination. Quality stuff at Staples prices.

Goo_wak_jai
02-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Robert Sweep, but might be a bit out of the budget. But just a suggestion.

Lex350
02-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by suntan
If you want office chairs Source should be your first destination. Quality stuff at Staples prices.

ok...that made me laugh out loud. The chairs they sell are direct from China. They use substandard materials throughout those chairs and are as about ergonomic as sitting on a rock.

suntan
02-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

ok...that made me laugh out load. The chairs they sell are direct from China. They use substandard materials throughout those chairs and are as about ergonomic as sitting on a rock. They have chairs with metal bases and proper adjustments. :dunno:

Yeah I guess you can spend $2K on an office chair but I'd rather spend $120 and get something better than the shit at Staples.

Team_Mclaren
02-03-2015, 02:09 PM
F2 and EQ3 is where I went for most of my stuff. Some are not cheap but prettu quality furnitures imo.

Lex350
02-03-2015, 02:12 PM
They have chairs with metal bases and proper adjustments. :dunno:

Yeah I guess you can spend $2K on an office chair but I'd rather spend $120 and get something better than the shit at Staples.

At least Staples carries some better brands like Global or Hon. Something that when it breaks you can also warranty it. Source deals exclusivity with off shore crap. The chairs have the cheapest mechanisms and poor quality foam that packs down after a couple of months. Not sure where else you looked for a chair but they aren't $2k even for the top end chairs that most oil and gas companies buy.

suntan
02-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Why Chintz & Co. :rofl:

The shit from Staples is way worse. What are you looking at from Source???

http://www.source.ca/office-chairs-seating/coolmesh-pro-mid-back

bleu
02-03-2015, 02:53 PM
The majority of my stuff is from Pottery Barn. Nordesign has nice stuff and Restoration Hardware is great too. Depends on your personal style.

For accents we like antiques and custom things. Reclaimed Canada is awesome for this.

Lex350
02-03-2015, 02:56 PM

The shit from Staples is way worse. What are you looking at from Source???

http://www.source.ca/office-chairs-seating/coolmesh-pro-mid-back

The OP wasn't looking for Office chairs (Hence Chintz) but seeing as you brought it up and gave such bad advice when you clearly don't have a clue except that its a mesh chair. lol We used to bring those things in landed at just under $30. They are garbage. For office chairs go here:

McCrum's
COI
HBI
Office Concepts
RGO
Element
Hell Staples even has a contract furniture division that you can by better stuff at "Business Interiors"

Prices start around $250 for a decent chair and go up from there....and the chairs can be serviced and warrantied here in town.

KRyn
02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
F2 and EQ3 is where I went for most of my stuff. Some are not cheap but prettu quality furnitures imo.

My buddy bought a couch from EQ3, it sure looks good but it is the most uncomfortable POS I have ever sat on. Quality is meh as well.

403ep3
02-03-2015, 03:30 PM
I've got EQ3 furniture and they are comfy.. I went all out and grabbed their best leather so maybe your friend has a cheaper quality chair/leather?

Team_Mclaren
02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

My buddy bought a couch from EQ3, it sure looks good but it is the most uncomfortable POS I have ever sat on. Quality is meh as well.

I bought my dinning table/chair set there along with some minor stuff like bed frame/tv stand. I'm happy with the quality so far.

I didnt like what they have for couches so I bought that from F2.

sputnik
02-03-2015, 04:41 PM
EQ3 and Urban Barn for me. Decently priced furniture and made in Canada.

Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are definitely good quality. I am just not into the antique American renaissance or cottage style. I prefer something a bit more modern.

JordanLotoski
02-03-2015, 04:44 PM
I like Domicile;)

bart
02-03-2015, 04:53 PM
boconcept

you&me
02-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Domicile appears to be closed (or at least, moved from their 11th ave location) as of this morning.

They lost some great and talented people over the last couple years, so I guess it's not surprising. I guess their shit after-sales service may have finally bit Maddy in the ass.

FixedGear
02-03-2015, 05:16 PM
^^lol, dominic has always been great though

FixedGear
02-03-2015, 05:21 PM
+4 for domicile though :thumbsup:

suntan
02-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

The OP wasn't looking for Office chairs (Hence Chintz) but seeing as you brought it up and gave such bad advice when you clearly don't have a clue except that its a mesh chair. lol We used to bring those things in landed at just under $30. They are garbage. For office chairs go here:

McCrum's
COI
HBI
Office Concepts
RGO
Element
Hell Staples even has a contract furniture division that you can by better stuff at "Business Interiors"

Prices start around $250 for a decent chair and go up from there....and the chairs can be serviced and warrantied here in town. Good God do you think we're made of money. :rofl:

McCrum's sells nice stuff but it's VERY EXPENSIVE. Holy shit they gave us a quote for some desks and bookcases, it came to $10K for the basic shit!

XylathaneGTR
02-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are definitely good quality.

I'm not sure how I feel about that quote. I've been on the hunt for dining chairs for the last month or so and was cross-shopping an item from RH.

Leather quality at RH (at least on their dining chairs) wasn't great; It's a split grain and not dyed all the way through, so it left white scratch marks VERY easily; the corner stitch on the back pocket of my jeans left a mark in the leather.

Staff: The sales associate was the least helpful person I've ever shopped with. She was equiped with a tablet and able to read the website to me and not equipped to answer any other questions (i.e. construction details for the chair, order lead time).

Any other store I've been to has had absolutely no issue with giving fabric samples. Some request a CC number or a small deposit and will allow me to take whatever the hell I want back to my home for at least a few days. Chick at RH refused to let me take ANYTHING back so that I could match it to anything in my place...I offered her a CC or to pay a deposit and she got all pissy about it. She lumbered off to the back room and found a "sample size" of one of the leathers I was interested in and said I could only take that one swatch...didn't matter that there were two or three others of varying style / shade that I wanted to check with my existing furniture and lighting.
After I told them straight up that "I wasn't buying anything if I couldn't see the upholstery in my home" she huffed off and FINALLY was willing to take a CC# to let me leave with some samples.

You expect me to drop 3gs and you won't even let me see the fabrics in my home?

Ended up purchasing Canadian made silva chairs from Modern Country Interiors; had a much more positive experience with the sales peeps, higher quality materials, and there were absolutely no issues with samples or logistics.

After the experience I had...I really feel like RH is flouting sub-par quality at premium prices with no support to back it up.

turbotrip
02-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Don't buy from Revolve, quality is very questionable.

What's a good store for modern sectional couches? Found a nice one at Nordesign but wanted to compare with a few others if possible

cmodem
02-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by bart
boconcept

+100 started with a white high gloss dining table and it's held up so well that we've started getting more from BoConcept.

EQ3 is alright have some stuff from them and it's held up… 11 ave furniture stores quality i think are the best.

Have a buddy decked out in f2 stuff and it's good quality too.

I personally think revolve sucks. Was looking at their red queen bed and the floor model's veneer is already peeling… weak.

you&me
02-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
^^lol, dominic has always been great though

Dom hasn't been there for ~3 years now(I know this, because that's about the last time I actually got a call back from anyone at Domicile about a mis-configured custom sectional). I had heard a while ago that he was basically working 'in house' for "Mrs. Shaw", or something like that... Too bad.

I usually go to reasonable lengths to support local bricks and mortar retailers for bigger purchases, and that's mostly for the after sales service just in case there's an issue. But after our initial purchase and after sales experience at Domicile, I went out of my way to make an exception... I started using Domicile as a sort of Bestbuy; go, look, find something you like, and the order online... YMMV.

pheoxs
02-03-2015, 08:54 PM
I'll probably get flamed for this but I don't actually mind the brick. Their prices are outrageous for sure, but obviously you don't pay sticker price. Their quality isn't bad to be honest. I've never had any of their stuff wear out or fall apart, maybe other people are just rougher on their stuff?

I picked up a sectional in January that was "3400$" and ended up paying 1900$. You just have to have patience and negotiate well with them.

ddduke
02-03-2015, 11:14 PM

My house is done in an industrial style with a fair bit of rustic pieces thrown in so I didn't want a conventional office chair. It just wouldn't fit in.

nj2Type-S
02-06-2015, 09:30 PM
hey guys,

my wife and i priced out the majority of our main floor furniture and decorations at urban barn. we love their design, but they only offer a 15% discount on purhases over $7500. have you guys had previous luck with getting more discount from UB, in particular? we're pretty much set on UB, but more discounts would be awesome, of course.

thanks!