PDA

View Full Version : Leg day with a bad knee??

ekguy
11-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Messed up my knee at work and probably need surgery.

Still able to do most my workout but when doing squats with anything more than 150 i get a massive, painful clicking.

Any ideas what i can do to not neglect my legs??

buh_buh
11-18-2014, 09:29 PM
I've got a knee problem, and anytime it starts to flare up a bit, I try to do exercises that I can work each side individually and build up some stability in the knee.

Walking lunges with dumbbell
One legged squat in between exercises
Hamstring curl one leg at a time
Leg extension one leg at a time

JRSC00LUDE
11-18-2014, 09:43 PM
I would go see a physiotherapist and ask them.

ddduke
11-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I disagree. He should ask milk2%, that guy is an expert on all things fitness and will definitely have an answer.

GQBalla
11-18-2014, 11:10 PM
Work legs still and don't go above 150

austic
11-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

This
As this is injury related I wouldn't mess with it.

Tej.S
11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

I disagree. He should ask milk2%, that guy is an expert on all things fitness and will definitely have an answer.

LOL, definitely saw that coming.

OP, refrain from any exercises until you get it checked out. It's not worth potentially messing up your leg for the sake of missing leg day lol. Treating injuries comes before making gains, especially if you think that injury requires surgery. Also, please refrain from doing leg extensions.

zipdoa
11-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

lol. this.

scboss
11-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S

LOL, definitely saw that coming.

OP, refrain from any exercises until you get it checked out. It's not worth potentially messing up your leg for the sake of missing leg day lol. Treating injuries comes before making gains, especially if you think that injury requires surgery. Also, please refrain from doing leg extensions.

Like he said go to the doctor first. For all you know it could be something minor and an easy fix.

When u get the ok focus on building mobility and stay away from machines. I find it weird how it only starts clicking when you get to a certain weight, maybe it's a technique issue? Just whatever you do avoid leg extention, hack squat and any machine that targets the quads until you get it sorted out.

Are you getting pain or is it just the sound that's bothering you?

sheik_yerbouti
11-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

You're begging the question.

http://youtu.be/BS-oRydlnCE

ekguy
11-21-2014, 10:08 PM
i get mri results this week. will know more then. been taking it easy on the knee.

ekguy
11-21-2014, 10:24 PM
lot's of good advice will do what i feel is doable.

riander5
11-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Messed up my knee at work and probably need surgery.

Still able to do most my workout but when doing squats with anything more than 150 i get a massive, painful clicking.

a) any workout other than squats that doesnt bug your knee
b) go under 150

Did you really need to make a thread about this? derp

ekguy
11-22-2014, 08:44 AM
well, im sure others have messed up their knees...I want to get as much in as i can without making it worse. got solid advice. gonna giver

heavyfuel
11-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Can't offer too much advice without knowing your exact issue but I just got the OK last week to do leg extensions and hamstring curls, now 6 months post ACL op. So maybe avoid those for now? Using proper form and manageable weight, squats are safe on the knees. Keep it basic, keep it simple, and do proper pre and post workout stretching.

ekguy
11-29-2014, 06:14 PM
complex tear in my meniscus. going to see a surgeon soon for assessment and hopefully don't have to wait a year for it...

A2VR6
11-29-2014, 08:31 PM
complex tear in my meniscus. going to see a surgeon soon for assessment and hopefully don't have to wait a year for it...

I have a similar meniscus issue as you, although not as bad (partial radial tear). I've had the injury since July and only got to see a surgeon this past week.

Are you getting any swelling with your pain? I usually let pain/swelling be my guide on exercises I can/cant do with the amount of swelling being the thing that tells me if I should keep doing the exercise in general or not.

After a bunch of physio while waiting for my MRI/consultation with the ortho surgeon, I found that I could do squats/deads/most leg exercises without much swelling (some pain) while stuff like hockey would make my knee swell like mad. Whenever I did an activity that would make my knee swell it pain would linger several days while activities that didnt create swelling would only have temporary pain.

In any case, listen to your body and hopefully you'll get to see the surgeon soon.

ekguy
03-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Surgery in June, a day before a pretty big tattoo, so I conveniently have 3 weeks off work to let both heal.

Been targeting my quads mostly and concentrating on much lower weights, higher reps when I can.

Doctor says these are routine and I should feel relief as soon as I wake up from surgery when it comes to knee pain.

Anyone have this surgery? Any lingering pain? Did you end up losing a bunch of cartilage or was most left intact? I'm worried they won't be able to fix the tear in mine and that I'll just end up losing a huge chunk of cartilage...

A2VR6
03-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Surgery in June, a day before a pretty big tattoo, so I conveniently have 3 weeks off work to let both heal.

Been targeting my quads mostly and concentrating on much lower weights, higher reps when I can.

Doctor says these are routine and I should feel relief as soon as I wake up from surgery when it comes to knee pain.

Anyone have this surgery? Any lingering pain? Did you end up losing a bunch of cartilage or was most left intact? I'm worried they won't be able to fix the tear in mine and that I'll just end up losing a huge chunk of cartilage...

I got mine done at the end of January. Mine was a routine scope and they removed 25% of my meniscus and also shaved some cartilage from my knee cap that was damaged from a previous injury. Knee felt much better after the initial week. I was able to walk without crutches about 4 days after the surgery. Took about a 1.5 weeks to get a decent amount of motion back into my knee. So far, I haven't had any lingering pain (been slowly easing back into leg workouts... doctors/physio told me to take it easy for 4-6 weeks after surgery). I havent heard of many people getting the tear fixed... many times they just removed the torn portion. I would think if they were to fix the tear instead of removing that recovery will be a bit longer.

ekguy
03-17-2015, 07:09 PM
alot of that made me not look forward to this. but yeah I know the odds are overwhelming that they will just remove the torn area...

A2VR6
03-17-2015, 09:45 PM
alot of that made me not look forward to this. but yeah I know the odds are overwhelming that they will just remove the torn area...

Honestly, getting rid of the pain was worth it. Not sure if your doctor told you your long term prognosis, but in my case removing my meniscus didn't increase my odds of developing osteoarthritis since the damaged portion wasn't doing anything anyways.

4-6 week recovery isn't bad... Ligament repair recovery is much much longer.