PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth Laser

Talon_lover
03-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Ok I went to go and buy and Eagle Talon but my father wouldn't let me because they are always "bagged out" he said. So then he said how about a Plymouth Laser and I was like ya they are the same as a Talon pretty much. But my question is that is the Plymouth Laser a domestic car or an import? I know it sounds dumb but I heard that they are an import and I have also heard that they aren't because Plymouth is made by Dodge (I think it is dodge atleast)

Thanks

finboy
03-06-2004, 10:26 PM
in short, its a mitsubishi thats been rebadged to be sold at chrysler dealerships, just like the talon.

1badPT
03-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Yeah lots of mitsus get rewrapped and sold as dodges and in the past plymouths as well.

cappachihngo
03-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Yeah lots of mitsus get rewrapped and sold as dodges and in the past plymouths as well.

ya i agree wit him...

p3nnywi5dom
03-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Talon_lover
Ok I went to go and buy and Eagle Talon but my father wouldn't let me because they are always "bagged out"

Haha, is that why you didn't come look at mine?

403Gemini
03-06-2004, 11:43 PM
its the exact same car

just tell him you want the laser then lol

Talon_lover
03-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by finboy
in short, its a mitsubishi thats been rebadged to be sold at chrysler dealerships, just like the talon.

lol So it is an import then, Like if something went wrong it would cost alot more then a domestic car then right.

rice_eater
03-07-2004, 11:30 AM

lol So it is an import then, Like if something went wrong it would cost alot more then a domestic car then right. :rolleyes:

is it the TSI or the regular? most of the parts will be from the chrysler parts bin, especially if NA

1badPT
03-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Well the Plymouth had their trim levels named differently:

Laser RS (8 valve, 1.8L, SOHC, 92hp)
Laser RS (16 valve, 2.0L, DOHC, 135hp)
Laser RS Turbo (16 valve, 2.0L Turbo, DOHC, 195hp)
Laser RS Turbo AWD (16 valve, 2.0L Turbo, DOHC, 195hp, AWD)

PS the cars were mostly mitsus, Chrysler helped with body styling and some engineering, but the assembly and the bulk of the engineering and parts were Mitsu.
http://www.allpar.com/reviews/2002/galant.html

finboy
03-07-2004, 05:20 PM
except the second gen NA dsm's which used the 420a dohc chrysler motor.

Talon_lover
03-07-2004, 05:49 PM
so then what about a Dodge Avenger? Is that all import? and say if shit went wrong on the Laser RS (no turbo) and the Avenger sports coupe (both 16 valve DOHC) would it cost alot of money to repair them?

And also say if you could put Dodge parts into the avenger what kind of dodge parts. Like what car would be compatible with it or does it not matter. And the same for the Laser please and thank you..

Weapon_R
03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
If you do a lot of your own work, I would say that the cost to repair the parts is not really a huge deal. I had a BMW and now an Integra, and they both are about the same price to repair (I don't take my car to either dealership, I usually do my own work).

1badPT
03-07-2004, 06:38 PM
so then what about a Dodge Avenger? Is that all import? and say if shit went wrong on the Laser RS (no turbo) and the Avenger sports coupe (both 16 valve DOHC) would it cost alot of money to repair them?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but my understanding is the Avenger is a re-wrapped non-turbo 2G Eclipse, as long as you get the 2.0 litre engine. If you get the 2.4 I4 or the 2.5 V6 then there are very few parts that would interchange. The 2.4 however has a decent aftermarket - the 2.5 V6 isn't worth getting unless you can get it for dirt cheap and are planning to swap in one of the other two engines, or if you are planning not to modify it. Cost to repair shouldn't be expensive, especially as Weapon_R points out, if you do the work yourself.

And also say if you could put Dodge parts into the avenger what kind of dodge parts. Like what car would be compatible with it or does it not matter. And the same for the Laser please and thank you..

With DSM's, other than body pieces, pretty much everything should be interchangeable with cars from the same generation. IE 1G Talon engine parts should be fine in a 1G Eclipse or a Laser.

Funny thing is most mitsu engines bolt up to chryco transmissions and vice versa. I wonder if anyone has done a 4G63 in a PT? Possibilities? :confused: Someone has already put a PT engine in an eclipse hehe
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/ShowVehicleInfo.asp?ReturnToListing=1&RacingStatsID=616&ModelCd=DSM3

?????
09-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Hey didn't want to start another thread so i'm gonna bump this up. I was just wondering if a 92 laser has a 6 or 7 bolt crank.

DSM Power
09-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Depends on the manufacturing date. Most 6 bolts stopped after November, if I remember correctly. :nut:

EK 2.0
09-26-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by DSM Power
Depends on the manufacturing date. Most 6 bolts stopped after November, if I remember correctly. :nut:

you are correct sir...