PDA

View Full Version : Newbie @ Cars <--- Money to spend.

dj_echo
03-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey guys,

Well I was looking at some ideas on how to make my 2000 Grand AM 2.4L a little faster. I'll be honest tell you that I dont know that much shit about cars, just a little. The only thing I have on my car is a body kit, and some interior mods.

So, since I dont know what will make my car faster, can anyone suggest somethings that I can do under my hood to make my car faster...

thx 4 comming down to my level.

R-Audi
03-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Maybe try RKSport? I personally don't know any Modded GA's, but try searching on the internet.

dj_echo
03-06-2004, 11:04 PM
It doesnt have to be my Grand Am. I just want to know the process. Cauze I dont know many people with modified street cars around Indianapolis.

Just give me some pointers so I can move from small mods, to like putting a turbo or a supercharger.

thx:thumbsup:

cappachihngo
03-06-2004, 11:17 PM
well it all depends on the amount of cash u have on hand, but i would go look @ RKSport 1st...

R-Audi
03-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Most things are car specific, so start of searching with the car you have, and the parts made for it. The only limit is the cash you want to put into it

hockeybronx
03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
A general order for the average modifier:

- cold air intake, or ram air intake if you drive through lots of water
- performance cat-back exhaust (it's all preference here)
- performance chip

Then if you want more:
- headers (depending on the car)
- turbocharger or supercharger
- Nitrous Oxide Injection

That's my opinion on the general order. Lots of guys have their own opinions on this though.

JAYMEZ
03-07-2004, 01:39 AM
^^^ same as up there , but no NOS , maybe a Downpipe and Uppipe , air intake is good , Turbo , chip , better tubes.

R-Audi
03-07-2004, 01:49 AM
^^Wouldn't you need a turbo for an uppipe and a downpipe?^^:dunno:

dj_echo
03-07-2004, 01:53 AM
ya, thx for the tips. But the thing is there arent much things you can do to a grand am, i realized over the years. I havent seen many parts at all for a grand AM. I just realized that. I wished I knew what was a good car to buy before.

thx guys. :drama:

FiveFreshFish
03-07-2004, 02:00 AM
You can also upgrade the suspension and wheels.

A proper suspension setup can get you around corners quickly, so that is making it faster in one sense.

dj_echo
03-07-2004, 02:01 AM
hockeybronx
-----------------
- cold air intake, or ram air intake if you drive through lots of water
- performance cat-back exhaust (it's all preference here)
- performance chip

Whats a good estimate on each one of things. ANd where would I get a performance chip , any prefrences?:tongue:

sxtasy
03-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I just drove a V6 Gr. Am with SLP exhaust. Sounded pretty good. I'm pretty sure they have Cold Air Intake kits for those cars as well. Check out some Pontiac dealerships to find some aftermarket parts. That engine is in the sunfire as well so if you look around you can probably find some more parts.

QuasarCav
03-07-2004, 11:23 AM
the twin cam 2.4 is actually pretty good to mod. look at rsm racing or even the GM site. They seel a supercharger for your motor. direct bolt on 75hp.

or look for cavalier/sunfire mod sites, same engine so you can share mods.

brandon
03-07-2004, 01:10 PM
goto these sites.

- www.grandamgt.com
- www.gaownersclub.com (stated above)
- www.pfyc.com
- www.doctorspeed.com
- www.rksport.com
- www1.ecxmall.com/stores/americanperformance/StoreFront.bok

Thats just some stuff for the grandam. May I ask what kit you have on it? aas? rksport? aed?

hockeybronx
03-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by dj_echo

Whats a good estimate on each one of things. ANd where would I get a performance chip , any prefrences?:tongue:

For the intake I'd say a range between $240.00- $400.00

For the exhaust the range would be about $400.00- $1200.00 depending what brand you get and if it's stainless steel or not.

Performance chips are around $400.00- $450.00. I know Neuspeed makes them but I've heard they aren't that good, I've been recommended to AutoTech for chips on my car.

Keep looking man, one of my friends had a Grand Prix SE and he put a nice exhaust system and short ram intake on it and it sounded great!

cappachihngo
03-08-2004, 12:40 AM
ya i agree with hockeybronx, but i put in sum new spark plugs, get syntheic engine oil and all those little things tha help out the car 1st... then install the proformance parts.. well made the oil change after i install, kinda useless changing the old, then taking it bac out again to do the engine work

hockeybronx
03-08-2004, 01:00 AM
^:werd:

Also there are a lot of little things you can do to maintain or restore power your car already has.

Such things include changing to full-synthetic oil as mentioned above, also gas tank additives such as fuel injector cleaner, or fuel system cleaner. For these you just throw a bottle in before you fill up.

Also do some research on the various Engine additives.

The thing to remember in all of this is that no matter how much money you spend, you will always want more power. This is the steeplepoint of being a guy. Before you do anything just take a step back and ask yourself how much money you want to put into your car, I did, and that's why I only made a couple of mods (exhaust, short ram intake, synthetic oil, and regular additives)

403Gemini
03-08-2004, 01:31 AM
rksport.com baby
best domestic website imo

edit: least for gm products

sputnik
03-08-2004, 07:57 AM
heh... where is t3rry when you need him... oh yeah... BANNED!

GT2NV
03-08-2004, 10:33 AM
cams:burnout:

962 kid
03-08-2004, 10:55 AM
why not upgrade to a GTP, because for the price of a supercharger you could probably just buy this, which will be a more complete package, higher resale and also it will be wayyy easier to add some ponies

dj_echo
03-16-2004, 09:13 PM
whow, thx for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it. All those links are helping out a lot. Again, thx for all the responce. Finally, now I can move my way up the ladder.

:closed: