PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Training - Hibernia Rig

haggis88
11-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Sup dudes/dudettes?

Is anyone on here an offshore worker, specifically on Hibernia?

My company has a maintenance contract for some equipment on there and I'm being sent on offshore survival training in the next fortnight and wanted to know what to expect.

Where am I likely to be doing the training?

I kind of know what's involved, but from first hand experience, will I have any problems? I'm 26 and in relatively good shape. can swim, lift and climb easily and have no major medical conditions however I was asthmatic as a child.

Just kinda wondering what to expect from rig working...its not likely i'll be there very often but i'd like to be prepared!

blubs
11-20-2014, 11:49 PM
My father worked out at Hibernia & Terra Nova for 15+ years. I remember there was quite a few drills in regards to the heli's more then anything. Lots of stuff in survival suits. I recall there was actually a drill that they would make you do that would simulate the chopper going down and you would have to unharness and swim out. rigged into a swimming pool of course (HUET or "dunker" training) I swear I have a picture of it somewhere but can't seem to find it. And there might have been even a jump into actual water. Again this was quite a few years ago now, but I expect that its very much the same.

Minor stuff.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/survival/stories/how-to-escape-a-sinking-helicopter-14821752

baygirl
11-21-2014, 01:36 AM
If I am not mistaken safety training was over hauled after Flight 91 crashed in 2009, killing 17:-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_Helicopters_Flight_91

if you google Marine Institute safety training you might be able to learn a little more
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/offshore-safety-centre-simulates-helicopter-crashes-1.1171449

broken_legs
11-21-2014, 04:57 AM
HUET or BOSIET or the Canadian equivalent.

In the north sea its a 5 day course and at the end they put you in a helicopter, submerge it, flip it upside down and you have to escape. You learn basic BS about worksites, H2S, and surviving in the water shpuld u end up there.

I believe the main difference is the in-water training. In the north sea its in a pool.inside, in canada you actually go out on a boat.

I was offshore in the north sea when the chopper crashed in Canada. They had a rash of smaller failures and technical issues with helicopters in the UK that year as well..... That was my last year offshore.

From what im told Hibernia is a nice unit. Everything there is unionized, so expect a lot of BS. compared to any job site on hard earth, youll find offshore is theres lots of paperwork, i also found that people were generally depressed, unmotivated, negative cunts. Your mileage may vary

Have fun!

SkiBum5.0
11-21-2014, 12:15 PM
You need the following to work offshore Canada:
- Basic Survival Training - 4 day course
- if you already have a BOSIET you can do the 2 day refresher called BST-R
- You will need a HUEBA (Helicopter Underwater Egress Breathing Apparatus). It is a HUET but dunked in freezing cold water
- CAPP Medical - you can get this from doctors here in Calgary or in St Johns
- H2S Course
- WHMIS
- Survivial Suit Fitting - was Helly Hansen but they have recently changed the suits

PM me for more info - I pretty much deal with those projects all day

EDIT: also, you can expect the safety environment to be vastly different than onshore equipment. You also have a max hitch of 21 days with 7 off.

Rat Fink
11-21-2014, 11:04 PM