PDA

View Full Version : Open Workshop Time? - Place To Develop Skills Using Hand and Power Tools

leftwing
11-21-2014, 11:05 PM
I am looking for a place that I could develop and work on my skills using common hand and power tools.

Whether it be a business that I could work part time putting stuff together, or a 'open workshop' type environment where I pay to be there and just kind of work on stuff on my own, or a course that kind of trains me.

I have a full time job, where I don't have the opportunity to use tools, and quitting my job for one where I get to use these tools isn't an option. I can work evenings and weekends and would be willing to work for (almost) free as it is the experience that I am looking for.

For open shop, all I could find was offerings at a local high school, but it is run as a course-type where I pay for 10 sessions and then every wednesday from 7-10pm I can come use the tools. This is pretty much exactly what I am looking for, but it isn't offered until feb which is longer than Id like to wait.

I have found some courses in woodworking, but they all are project based where you take the course and throughout your course you learn to build a box or whatever that you can take home at the end. This isn't really what I am looking for as I want a broader base than just building an object.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on how I can build my skills? I am willing to pay, or be paid (work).

sheik_yerbouti
11-21-2014, 11:12 PM
I looked into this pretty thoroughly last year when I was taking the woodworking courses at SAIT. It doesn't look like there is anything in this city except for a shop at the Kinsmen centre for the elderly, or DI for the homeless. If someone was willing to set something like this up, I'm sure they would make good money.

AndyL
11-22-2014, 01:02 AM
Protospace.ca

CanmoreOrLess
11-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Hire an expert in the field, much like you'd book a tutor in university. All cash deal, hire him for a day. An intensive day, up to speed real quick. You could hire the guy at the high school, if the his time and your money was right.

FraserB
11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by sheik_yerbouti
I looked into this pretty thoroughly last year when I was taking the woodworking courses at SAIT. It doesn't look like there is anything in this city except for a shop at the Kinsmen centre for the elderly, or DI for the homeless.

This is your best bet. Determine if it is easier to pass for old or homeless, then attend the appropriate venue.

Or apply at one of the many homebuilders in Calgary for a weekend job, but make sure you stress how few skills you have to make sure you get hired.:rofl:

Robin Goodfellow
11-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Michael Holton of Joseph Carlyle Designs does exactly this... or at least did a few years back.

http://www.josephcarlyle.com/classes.htm

I came across another similar offering a few years back, but can't remember where, for the life of me. Will post if I recall.

leftwing
11-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Protospace.ca

Thank you! Sounds promising. I am planning on attending the open house on Tuesday.

leftwing
11-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
Michael Holton of Joseph Carlyle Designs does exactly this... or at least did a few years back.

http://www.josephcarlyle.com/classes.htm

I came across another similar offering a few years back, but can't remember where, for the life of me. Will post if I recall.

I actually contacted this fellow already. From the sounds of it, it is more project based where he teaches you to build furniture. It is very close to what I am looking for, but like I said, I'd prefer an open shop where I can kind of grab random tools and practice building smaller projects in order to get a broader base of experience.

Robin Goodfellow
11-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

I actually contacted this fellow already. From the sounds of it, it is more project based where he teaches you to build furniture. It is very close to what I am looking for, but like I said, I'd prefer an open shop where I can kind of grab random tools and practice building smaller projects in order to get a broader base of experience.

Fair enough... but I think if you explained what you had in mind, I couldn't imagine Michael not being flexible if he has spaces available...

Graham_A_M
11-23-2014, 09:52 PM
I can lend you my study material if you'd like. As a millwright I use a LOT of hand tools, power tools and lathe work as well as drilling/boring equipment (etc etc). There is a ton of knowledge in the 1st year modules, so if you were to read them, you'd have a ton of knowledge well beyond anything that they could teach you. At least from there, you'd already know how to calculate speeds on a lathe, what some of the tools are and have a working knowledge of set up, and be able to calculate feed rates, differing lathe tools and what they do etc. If you needed any help, I'd be happy to help as well.

It also gets into reading blueprints, drill know how (such as what materials require differing drill surface edge angles) and really good info about hack saws, and everything else. That's kind if the tip of the iceberg, but you get the idea ;)