PDA

View Full Version : Honda West Service Experience

Mitsu3000gt
11-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Had my car booked into Honda West today for an oil change since this was the only time I was available before Christmas pretty much. I made this morning's appointment about a month prior, and showed up exactly on time.

I arrive, and the first thing they do is say they may need my car for the entire day, since they have lots of people coming in today. I asked how that makes any difference at all, since I would assume they work on cars according to their appointments, in the order in which they arrive and the individual who appeared to be the service manager told me that *when* you bring your vehicle to them in fact has no effect whatsoever on when they work on your car. I then asked what place I was in the queue so I could at least judge how much time I had to kill, and they said they couldn't tell me that either since my appointment has no effect on when my car would be worked on. I had to clarify that 4 or 5 times with them, because I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that they don't work on anything in relation to when you drop the car off. Sensing that I was surprised, he further elaborated that someone who comes in much later may still be taken in before my car despite my appointment. So, I ask why they even bother taking appointments (in a much nicer tone), and they told me they only do so to prevent everyone showing up at once. Seemed very strange to me.

Whatever, I give them the keys since I don't have time to do it any other day, I'm not allowed to do my own oil changes in my condo parkade, and figure it can't possibly take them that long especially since it didn't look busy at all. Over 2.5 hours later, still no phone call. I am killing time over in the nearby malls. Around the 3 hour mark, I call them to check on the car, and they told me my car is still being worked on. I walked back over there myself to spend the remainder of my time in their waiting room only to find my car sitting outside, done, for who knows how long without a phone call. After my entire morning has been wasted, I go inside to pay, and politely express my disappointment. Not so much as an apology from their end, and they sent me on my way.

So, no big deal really, at least now I know not to go back there again. I was just wondering though, is that normal? It seemed very strange to me that my appointment time was irrelevant and by their own admission randomly work on cars regardless of how long people have been waiting. Thought I would ask here in case that is somehow normal practice for dealers now? Maybe I'm the one out to lunch here haha.

Also, where do you guys who live downtown go for convenient oil changes? I don't want to use places like Minit Lube for obvious reasons.

Sugarphreak
11-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Mitsu3000gt
11-22-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't need on-demand service, just a place that will take an appointment, give me a reasonable waiting time, and call me when they're done.

01RedDX

jwslam
I really have nothing to chime in on the service you received or where to get an oil change downtown but you're free to use my garage / driveway for your oil changes if you're willing to drive all the way to Hidden Valley.

know1edge
11-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Speed_69
11-22-2014, 08:18 PM
I've had similar experiences at T&T Honda where I bring in my car only for an oil change and they have me wait 2 or 3 hours. They gave me the same excuses about how my appointment time doesn't matter and that's just when I bring the car in. I find it such a waste of time and absolutely useless to have me bring in my car and not have it looked at until 2 hours, that's 2 hours I could've been elsewhere doing something productive. I now bring my vehicle elsewhere or do the work myself whenever I can.

The shop I now take my car to tells me that the Honda dealerships in Calgary do this because they always overbook servicing.

ExtraSlow
11-22-2014, 09:28 PM
I use Honda west once a year on my wifes van, and I agree, with them, it's much easier to just drop in morning and pick u in afternoon. They don't seem to have any other method in their heads.

dj_rice
11-22-2014, 09:40 PM
If you want your car to go in ASAP, especially for an oil change, the only method is to be-friend a Service Advisor and become his #1 client by spending lots of money on repairs and and bringing regular coffees/donuts on every visit. This method, you don't even need to book appointments, just drop in and your car will go in quick. True story.

On a side-note, even asking to be classified as a "Waiter" doesn't speed anything up either in some cases. UNLESS, the dealership has one of those Quick Lube Drive Through setups at the dealership.

Oil changes are at the bottom of the rung in priority vs routinely scheduled major services such as 24K and 48K services etc etc. More products to upsell on these and often times you can get them to go ahead on brake jobs and etc.

Unless your a high value client that buys numerous cars from them, your car ain't going in quick.

k1l4m
11-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If you want your car to go in ASAP, especially for an oil change, the only method is to be-friend a Service Advisor and become his #1 client by spending lots of money on repairs and and bringing regular coffees/donuts on every visit. This method, you don't even need to book appointments, just drop in and your car will go in quick. True story.

Are you the service advisor or the #1 client? :)

dj_rice
11-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by k1l4m

Are you the service advisor or the #1 client? :)

I'm neither. :rofl:

I'm on the Parts Dept side of a dealership and I've seen how things work on the Service side.

CanmoreOrLess
11-22-2014, 10:07 PM
I had the same experience at Honda West last year for an 7:00 AM opening oil change. After hearing the same logic, I pointed out how this experience was basically going to turn into a Seinfeld episode (car rental) and how I'd be calling Honda Canada and explaining it to them. I was out in under an hour for an oil change. Never had an issue since. I asked what the difference between my making an appointment and simply driving my car in for a "quick lube"? They said there was no difference.

I also had experiences where Honda West wanted to do a whole pile of service on the vehicle, everything from service checks to fuel treatments, etc. When I asked if it was service requested, advised and supported by Honda Canada, they quickly backed off and did not press the issue. I can see many people simply saying OK and letting Honda West do as they wish. I do what is required by the service book in the owner's manual.

Honda West always leaves the bloody cardboard floor mat behind and a stupid oil change sticker (why when the oil idiot light comes on for service?) on the inside of the windshield. I've mentioned this three times now, still it continues. Fine I guess; now I just throw the stuff out the car window before leaving the dealership grounds. Also, I have to ask for the free car wash coupon (ESSO) that they used to staple to the service bill. Like getting blood from a stone over there.

Makes my next vehicle purchase possibly a Lexus, where the dealer will come and pick up my car for service and leave behind a loaner. Who has the time to get their car serviced at Honda West? Most of the time I now get my service done at Hu's in the NE if I'm in the area as they are on time with the appointment. They have been terrific and I'm off warrantee anyway.

Graham_A_M
11-22-2014, 10:07 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Buick at Shag. At least after I complained about waiting two hours after the oil change, only to finally ask and find out it was done, they offered a complimentary oil change, but that was the second big screw up in as many times going there so that was the end of my dealings with them.

revelations
11-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Oil and lube at the stealership :confused: - you realize that the lowest person in the lot will be working/driving your vehicle??

jhmed
11-22-2014, 11:43 PM
What bothers me about your experience is that Honda Canada has had a process for dealers to offer an Express Lube type service since at least 2005/2006.

And by process I mean, they have done all the leg work, tell you how to set it up and get it rolling, how many of what kind of oil filters to "stock" in the express area... fucking EVERYTHING.

Sadly it's apparent that the dealers in Calgary aren't doing it. I know one who wouldn't because they were too cheap to buy the hoist.

Mitsu3000gt
11-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Interesting to hear my experience is hardly unique. Turns out Honda West is just a shitty dealership, and I will never be returning for anything ever again - cars, service, parts, or otherwise.

Modelexis
11-23-2014, 12:55 AM
Brasso Nissan, i just drive up, no appointment, drive into the service bay and they take it from there, the oil change is done right away and I go on my way after a coffee in the waiting area.

They promise, under 30 mins for oil change or the next one is free.
This is without any appointment.

You are getting absolutely fucked at that dealership.

M.alex
11-23-2014, 02:08 AM
how can a stealership even begin to operate like that:nut:

CanmoreOrLess
11-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Oil and lube at the stealership :confused: - you realize that the lowest person in the lot will be working/driving your vehicle??

At Hu's in the NE it is the owner (experienced journeyman mechanic) doing the oil changes, or his dad who I'd say has around 40 years experience. The total costs are lower than the dealership and the parts are better in quality than OEM. My brake work was near half the price with better parts, same with the battery.

NoMoreG35
11-23-2014, 11:05 AM
:thumbsup: for Hu's Garage :D
Ryan is the man!!

Aleks
11-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Interesting to hear my experience is hardly unique. Turns out Honda West is just a shitty dealership, and I will never be returning for anything ever again - cars, service, parts, or otherwise.

I have my free oil changes done at Airdrie Honda. Make an apt, go in, sit in their waiting room for 45 min and it's done. Because of this I take my van there for other service that I pay for and they provide a free loaner. I know its out of the way but for good service I don't mind driving out there once every 8 months.

88CRX
11-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Okotoks Honda has 100x better service than any of the Honda dealerships in Calgary. Make an appointment and your car is taken in on time and you can usually just wait for it.

Mitsu3000gt
11-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Airdrie and Okotoks Honda sound 100X better but I'm not driving an hour each way for an oil change haha. Maybe I'll just take it to an off-brand dealer near downtown next time.

89s1
11-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
:thumbsup: for Hu's Garage :D
Ryan is the man!!

You're the second person I've heard recommend him. I do 99% of my own work, but I was going to use this guy when I need some bearings pressed in and stuff based off the first recommendation as it came from a trustworthy source.

Nice to see another person throw that up. :thumbsup:

Redlined_8000
11-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Anyone have experience with Calgary Honda? I went there recently and the sales guy told me they have the highest customer satisfaction in western Canada.

zieg
11-23-2014, 02:53 PM
When I lived in a building with a strict 'no working on cars' policy, I just did it all at night. Occasionally other residents would see me, but they didn't care, presumably because I was essentially acting as a free security guard in an area not completely crime-free. :dunno:

CanmoreOrLess
11-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

You're the second person I've heard recommend him. I do 99% of my own work, but I was going to use this guy when I need some bearings pressed in and stuff based off the first recommendation as it came from a trustworthy source.

Nice to see another person throw that up. :thumbsup:

I normally make an appointment for around my lunchtime (early afternoon) as there are a ton of eating places in the area. Drop the car, go eat and come back for the pick up. Win/win.

89s1
11-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
When I lived in a building with a strict 'no working on cars' policy, I just did it all at night. Occasionally other residents would see me, but they didn't care, presumably because I was essentially acting as a free security guard in an area not completely crime-free. :dunno:

Maybe they were just shocked to see a car in the air that wasn't having its wheels stolen.

Aleks
11-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Airdrie and Okotoks Honda sound 100X better but I'm not driving an hour each way for an oil change haha. Maybe I'll just take it to an off-brand dealer near downtown next time.

Google maps shows Beltline to Honda West in 13 min.
DT to Airdrie Honda is 27 min.

:dunno:

ExtraSlow
11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Guys, if it's an oil change, just go to Mr Lube. The quality of tech that'll work on your car is about the same as at the dealer. As mentioned, dealerships give the newest and least trained techs the oils changes.

FraserB
11-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Guys, if it's an oil change, just go to Mr Lube. The quality of tech that'll work on your car is about the same as at the dealer. As mentioned, dealerships give the newest and least trained techs the oils changes.

Or better yet, find a smaller shop with an actual mechanic. My truck is $60 for oil, lube and filter. About the same as one of the quick lube places, but an actual j-man does the work and it doesn't take any longer.

Aleks
11-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

But it's free at Honda and it gives me an excuse to leave the house and 3 kids behind for couple hours :rofl:

NoMoreG35
11-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I have my free oil changes done at Airdrie Honda. Make an apt, go in, sit in their waiting room for 45 min and it's done. Because of this I take my van there for other service that I pay for and they provide a free loaner. I know its out of the way but for good service I don't mind driving out there once every 8 months.

Airdrie Honda +1 :thumbsup:

Originally posted by 89s1

Nice to see another person throw that up.

Yeah most works I need done I go to Ryan and his dad. Or Zero Limit Auto. Jackie and Eric are the men too!!

NoMoreG35
11-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Anyone have experience with Calgary Honda? I went there recently and the sales guy told me they have the highest customer satisfaction in western Canada.

Look for reviews on dealerrater.ca ;)

ExtraSlow
11-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

But it's free at Honda and it gives me an excuse to leave the house and 3 kids behind for couple hours :rofl: I don't get free oil changes. You win.

bigbadboss101
12-20-2014, 11:54 AM
The Oil change part is free, but the rest of the service you pay for AFAIK. I don't know about a loaner though. Next time I will ask. I assume this is only for more major work.

I have been to Hu's and Ryan did good work on my vehicle for nice price. My Fit is purchased from Airdrie Honda and we go there as it's relatively close.