PDA

View Full Version : Works with Nest - Cool Stuff

killramos
11-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Have any of you guys checked out the Works with nest products?

I am definitely picking one up here soon because of them. Very cool!

https://nest.com/works-with-nest/

In particular i am looking into the the wallyhome. Basically it lets you add 6 zones to your home for the nest to sense temperatures from.

WallyHome's innovative remote sensors measure the varying temperatures in multiple locations in the home, resulting in comfort in the rooms that really matter. This solves a fundamental consumer problem - a thermostat that is often located in remote area of the home - not in the conditioned space that consumers use.

So basically in the morning, you care about temp in your bedroom etc and evening for AC. You can put a wallyhome sensor in there to let the nest focus on that room rather than basing it on heating up your living room or something where your nest is located.

Bunch of other neat gimics like cameras that send you pictures when your fire alarm goes off etc. Turning your heat on when you start to drive your Mercedes home. Turning heat off when you shut your garage door opener in the morning.

spike98
11-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Everything works with NEST now with its recent IFTTT integration. If you are going to stick with the "Works with NEST" line of products, you are going to be paying a premium..

killramos
11-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by spike98
Everything works with NEST now with its recent IFTTT integration. If you are going to stick with the "Works with NEST" line of products, you are going to be paying a premium..

Lol you see I thought when buying a nest you were throwing value out the window and going with a cool toy :dunno:

Its a 250 dollar thermostat FFS, noone actually buys them to save themselves money. A honeywell will do just fine for that purpose.

rage2
11-24-2014, 10:11 AM
The remote temp zones is my killer app. I might have to switch to a nest just for that functionality.

killramos
11-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by rage2
The remote temp zones is my killer app. I might have to switch to a nest just for that functionality.

Exactly!

Its something that i had actually been wondering about because my bedroom is to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter. I can use this instead of having my HVAC redone.

Great "value"!

Also it has nothing to do with mercedes integration right rage ;)

eblend
11-24-2014, 10:23 AM
My 5 year old Honeywell Prestige has a remote sensor that does exactly that, so not really anything new.

So my thermostat has one remote sensor, I never really use it, but it's also a remote control for my thermostat so I use it for that sometimes, but regardless, having 6 isn't really going to help things. Not like it can individually control the temperature in every room independently. Going to make your bedroom warm, at the expense of creating a sauna in another room.

https://www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com/related_links/wireless/pcc/promote/pcc_hires.jpg

killramos
11-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by eblend
My 5 year old Honeywell Prestige has a remote sensor that does exactly that, so not really anything new.

So my thermostat has one remote sensor, I never really use it, but it's also a remote control for my thermostat so I use it for that sometimes, but regardless, having 6 isn't really going to help things. Not like it can individually control the temperature in every room independently. Going to make your bedroom warm, at the expense of creating a sauna in another room.

Like i said, i am quite aware that a good old honeywell thermostat can do just about anything. ( thats what i have right now)

Nest is a geaky gadget that I think is cool and fun . And as such adding new features to it sounds fun to me :dunno:

As for the sauna i think thats a bit dramatic but only way to try it is in practice. I dont car if my main floor hallway is to hot when my bathroom tiles are so cold i dont want to get out of the shower. :dunno:

This one also has the feature of using time to decide which sensor to read from so that is new :dunno:

roopi
11-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by killramos

As for the sauna i think thats a bit dramatic but only way to try it is in practice. I dont car if my main floor hallway is to hot when my bathroom tiles are so cold i dont want to get out of the shower. :dunno:

This one also has the feature of using time to decide which sensor to read from so that is new :dunno:

Might not be a sauna but I can see you spending a lot more each month trying to keep that one room at the right temperature.

killramos
11-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Might not be a sauna but I can see you spending a lot more each month trying to keep that one room at the right temperature.

Whats the difference between this and you having your thermostat near a drafty window?

Maybe its alot more maybe its not. Gas is cheap.

ZeroGravity
11-24-2014, 11:54 AM
For those who didn't invest in the Nest yet, if you're only looking into getting remote sensors to integrate with a thermostat, can look into ecobee3. I don't have any personal experience with it yet. Just ordered it with the two additional sensors (so total of 3 remote sensors). Their sensors have motion / occupancy detector on it too. So from the little reading I've done, IF everything works perfectly, it can be programmed to do an averaged temperature of occupied sensor locations.

https://www.ecobee.com/

I've always wanted the Nest, but was a bit hung up on the price and the lack of remote sensors at the time. Never bothered to check back their progress until I saw this thread. Cost aside, Nest seems to be more "connected" and more possibilities in working with other devices.

killramos
11-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ZeroGravity
For those who didn't invest in the Nest yet, if you're only looking into getting remote sensors to integrate with a thermostat, can look into ecobee3. I don't have any personal experience with it yet. Just ordered it with the two additional sensors (so total of 3 remote sensors). Their sensors have motion / occupancy detector on it too. So from the little reading I've done, IF everything works perfectly, it can be programmed to do an averaged temperature of occupied sensor locations.

https://www.ecobee.com/

I've always wanted the Nest, but was a bit hung up on the price and the lack of remote sensors at the time. Never bothered to check back their progress until I saw this thread. Cost aside, Nest seems to be more "connected" and more possibilities in working with other devices.

Yea it seems like an interesting platform and has some good features that can genuinely make your life better. Not to mention the thing is really pretty :rofl:

mix123
12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Anyone try nest with Wallyhome yet? Can't find reviews anywhere.

Go4Long
12-30-2014, 03:24 AM
I've got the nest and Wallyhome, I just haven't had a day off to install and set it up yet.

Should be up and running here in the next day or two.

mix123
12-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Nice. Report back once you've got it going.

sputnik
12-30-2014, 12:09 PM
So basically in the morning, you care about temp in your bedroom etc and evening for AC. You can put a wallyhome sensor in there to let the nest focus on that room rather than basing it on heating up your living room or something where your nest is located.

What?

How exactly is Nest going to be able to tell your furnace to heat up one specific room?

Wallyhome sensors really just detect and report environmental factors (temp, humidity etc). Sure they might be able to send that information now to Nest, but its not going to change the way that your HVAC system works.

lamp_shade_2000
12-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

What?

How exactly is Nest going to be able to tell your furnace to heat up one specific room?

Wallyhome sensors really just detect and report environmental factors (temp, humidity etc). Sure they might be able to send that information now to Nest, but its not going to change the way that your HVAC system works.

just means that if you have a wallyhome sensor in your bedroom, the nest is using that temp reading to tell your furnace to turn on/off instead of the temp at the nest location. My thermostat is near a vent so it shuts off before my bedroom and living room get to a nice temp. You are correct though, heat will still distribute throughout the house but will now focus on keeping the bedroom at the ideal temp vs other rooms.

Cos
12-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Go4Long
01-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Well, finally got it set up a couple days ago. Working good so far. Just need my wife to decide on how cool I'm allowed to make the house get at night. 19 was too cold apparently. Lol.

killramos
01-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
Well, finally got it set up a couple days ago. Working good so far. Just need my wife to decide on how cool I'm allowed to make the house get at night. 19 was too cold apparently. Lol.

Had mine hooked up for a couple weeks and it has been solid.

Now that I am getting back to work I'm going to set up the schedule etc but been using the auto away the last week and it works great.

mix123
01-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Where did you put all the Wally's? I'm wondering if you would put them in the same places they tell you to...by possible water leaks. If you're using them with your nest.

theken
01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
You guys would need thermostat controlled dampeners, but they weren't put in when your house was built, next house you can get true zone control

Go4Long
01-09-2015, 12:46 PM
I put one by our sump pump, one in the kidlets room and one in our room.

HiTempguy1
01-09-2015, 04:13 PM
With all the costs involved to have true forced air zone control, might as well go infloor heating. Added bonus, warm floors!

Mibz
01-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
19 was too cold apparently. Fuckin' weirdos. That's the temperature of my house when it's being heated.

19.5 if I feel like walking around in my undies.

RX_EVOLV
01-09-2015, 05:45 PM
That's so neat! Didn't know about all the works with nest stuff.

I just set it up with Google and Hue and it works flawlessly. Now I'm tempted to get one of those smart locks as well

sillysod
01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
I don't get it. Gas and electricity is so cheap here who bothers adjusting the temperature.

Our temperature is at 21c always. If it gets hot the ac kicks in if it gets cold the heat kicks on.

The only thing I do is shut the in-floor heat off during the summer time. To me it just doesn't seem worth it.

killramos
01-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
I don't get it. Gas and electricity is so cheap here who bothers adjusting the temperature.

Our temperature is at 21c always. If it gets hot the ac kicks in if it gets cold the heat kicks on.

The only thing I do is shut the in-floor heat off during the summer time. To me it just doesn't seem worth it.

because 50 bucks is 50 bucks. :dunno:

or

because (insert reasonable savings from turning your thermostat down when you arent even home) bucks is (insert reasonable savings from turning your thermostat down when you arent even home) bucks.

And gas isnt going to be 3 dollars a GJ forever ( At least it better not :banghead:)

CapnCrunch
01-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by eblend

You don't have a separate HVAC system for every room in your home? Man you must love throwing money away!

A2VR6
01-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Anyone know of a thermostat that automatically adjusts the humidity of the humidifier (ie. humidity control) based on outdoor temperature?

So far the one's have seen to date dont have this feature

killramos
01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Anyone know of a thermostat that automatically adjusts the humidity of the humidifier (ie. humidity control) based on outdoor temperature?

So far the one's have seen to date dont have this feature

Nest :dunno:

At least it does to the best of my knowledge.

Nest uses local weather to predict when to turn on etc. as well.

Edit aparently its coming in 4.0 software based on the nest community pages.

A2VR6
01-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Nest :dunno:

At least it does to the best of my knowledge.

Nest uses local weather to predict when to turn on etc. as well.

Edit aparently its coming in 4.0 software based on the nest community pages.

Cool! Thanks!

mix123
01-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Wallyhome Nest functionality is cool. Just got it setup and it works great.

mix123
02-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Update. The Wally's are going back. The Nest integration seems too unreliable and too simplistic. If you want to use the Wally's for temperature you need to setup a schedule on the Wally site...which is fine...but as soon as anyone touches the nest you're back to using the nest for temp. This doesn't work for me. You also can't just go on the wally site and say set a hold temp for a day for one sensor. You have to screw around with the schedule. It's way too basic.

Twice the Wally's ran into some kind of bug and I had to completely wipe the schedule and recreate it to get them and the nest jiving again.

Once Wally did some kind of update overnight that messed things up and I woke up to a cold house as the schedule didn't work.

Support was decent and was willing to work through all this but I need some kind of reliability when it comes to heating.

Shipping the whole system back...selling the Nest and already ordered an Ecobee3 :D

bspot
02-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Whoa, I have a MyQ setup for my garage door and had no idea they integrated. Neat!

lint
02-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Whoa, I have a MyQ setup for my garage door and had no idea they integrated. Neat!

The "integration" is pretty useless IMO. All you can do is set your Nest to Away or Home via the MyQ app. You can't program it really, say to set your Nest to Home if it's Away and the garage door opens. Better to just sign into your Nest app if you need to do something with it

bspot
03-26-2015, 02:22 PM
^Agreed, it is useless and I turned it off. The Google Now integration is way better, turns the heat up when it guesses you are on your way home via location tracking. If there are 2 phones, it won't turn down the heat if the other person is still home.

killramos
09-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Nest Gen 3 is out!

https://nest.com/blog/2015/09/01/meet-the-3rd-generation-nest-learning-thermostat/

Not to much in the way of changes to functionality, and i think all the new features except "farsight" (which i dont really have a clue what it is) are coming to Nest 1 and 2 in a future update as well.

The brighter way to save energy.

It’s thinner, sleeker, and more beautiful than ever. The display is even bigger and sharper. And now the Nest Thermostat does something new. We call it Farsight. When you walk into the room, Farsight lights up and shows you the temperature you set or the time. You can even choose a digital or analog clock face. It’s big and bright - you can see it from across the room.

And now the Nest Thermostat does something new. We call it Farsight.

With more temperature sensors, the Nest Thermostat is more accurate. So it’s even better at learning about your home. It gets to know how it heats and cools, or how drafty it is, and adjusts accordingly. And if your furnace is acting up, the Nest Thermostat will let you know. Most heating and forced air furnaces have an automatic shutoff to avoid overheating. The Nest Thermostat is always looking out for shutoff patterns that indicate a persistent problem with your furnace. If anything’s out of the ordinary, every heating or cooling season you’ll get a Furnace Heads-Up message on your phone or tablet and the thermostat screen. And you’ll also get a notice in your monthly Home Report. (Furnace Heads-Up will be available for 1st and 2nd generation customers later this year.)

With more temperature sensors, the Nest Thermostat is more accurate. So it’s even better at learning about your home.

The Nest Thermostat is even better at learning what you like, too. So when you wake up in the morning, you’ll be cozy. When you leave for work, it’ll turn itself down. When you come home, you’ll be cozy again. And you can control it from anywhere. The Nest Thermostat does everything it’s always done – it keeps you comfortable. While it saves energy.

If Nest Protect sounds an emergency alarm or a Heads-up alert, you’ll see a message on the Nest Thermostat to let you know what’s going on. And when you set your Nest Thermostat to Away, your Nest Cam can start recording automatically.

And of course, the Nest Thermostat works with other Nest products. If Nest Protect senses smoke or carbon monoxide, the Nest Thermostat will shut off your heating system. That’s because the furnace can spread smoke throughout your home in a fire and it’s also a common source of CO leaks. If Nest Protect sounds an emergency alarm or a Heads-up alert, you’ll see a message on the Nest Thermostat to let you know what’s going on. And when you set your Nest Thermostat to Away, your Nest Cam can start recording automatically.

And of course, the Nest Thermostat works with other Nest products.

Like all our Nest products, the Nest Thermostat will keep getting better through software updates. We’ll keep coming up with ways to make things even more thoughtful. So your home is even more thoughtful, too.

You can buy the Nest Learning Thermostat on nest.com for $249.

The feature that i think is coolest is they have built in some algorithms to help you identify and diagnose problems with your furnace, AC or Humidifier. In particular if it notices your furnace auto shutdown while it is still calling for heat. Not sure many other devices do that at all.

This particular feature would have been immensely helpful last winter when i spent 3 weeks trying to diagnose a furnace problem that ended up costing me a bit over a grand to fix.

So really its a mostly aesthetic change to an already great product. Still love mine.

schocker
09-03-2015, 09:40 AM
booooooooo I just got my nest 2. Looks like the software updates also work with the older models, the new one has the bigger screen and more/accurate sensors.

Having one single account is still weird, should be able to add users and I find the autoaway is not the best if I am upstairs for not even that long, it will turn AC off.

Mibz
09-03-2015, 09:40 AM
At this point I'm considering buying one just for the looks. Don't give a shit about it troubleshooting my humidifier, I just want to replace the uggo Honeywell unit I've got.

kenny
09-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
At this point I'm considering buying one just for the looks. Don't give a shit about it troubleshooting my humidifier, I just want to replace the uggo Honeywell unit I've got.

You want the ecobee3 as that one is Apple approved, Nest is not. :D

killramos
09-03-2015, 09:45 AM
^ Well they do look great.

I used to have the auto away issue if i went downstairs to watch a movie or something. But it has harmony integration so basically whenever I am using the remote it wont go into auto away which helped a lot. You can also program it do set different temps for different activities if that's your cup of tea lol.

I mostly go upstairs to sleep and it doesn't go into auto away at night so that helps a lot.

Auto away really does save me a but load when i go through my history. If i have AC on for an average of 2.5 hours a week when I'm not there or me and the wife don't come home after work it cuts it down to an hour or less in some cases.

killramos
11-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Hey i guess this could also go into the black friday deals but for anyone interested in the Nest Cam as a security Device:

https://store.nest.com/product/camera/#/?promo=camera-3pack

Nest Cam security camera: 3 pack
$497 per bundle. Save $100.

Great quality cameras, with the recordings all saved to Nest's cloud service so you keep your video even if someone trashes your equipment during the breakin.

Pretty good savings for something that never goes on sale.

Downsides for them are the same as ever. Depends what you want i guess. The pack is apealing though as thats right about the number of cameras I would want. Garage, main Floor, basement.

schocker
11-23-2015, 10:53 AM
^^^Bestbuy has nestcam for $189 from 27-30 for black friday for those wanting to try one out.

killramos
11-23-2015, 11:04 AM
pretty smoking deal as they are 220 CAD

schocker
11-23-2015, 11:05 AM
pretty smoking deal as they are 220 CAD
Yup, paid $220 for mine and am still pleased with it, just coming up to the end of the storage trial which I will probably keep around for peace of mind when I am away.

killramos
11-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Yea i am thinking of trialing one out myself. That 3 pack makes it tempting to pick up a set though.

Tik-Tok
11-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Great quality cameras, with the recordings all saved to Nest's cloud service so you keep your video even if someone trashes your equipment during the breakin.

For an annual fee of course.

killramos
11-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Nothing is free :dunno:

schocker
11-23-2015, 11:38 AM
I don't mind $10 a month for recording to the cloud as there is always something that could happen with local storage and the app is super easy to use so I was using it while I was on vacation to check on the house too (This checking is free) with alerts when it detected motion.

killramos
11-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Not to mention they utilize their cloud computing platform to provide enhanced motion, spacial, and facial recognition as part of the aware subscription.

Can be had for even even at 100 a year btw if you are interested in keeping it long term.

I compare that to the cost of buying and managing a home NAS to record things to, the cost of a continuous cloud backup option in the event that someone trashes your NAS and cameras in a break-in ( this is what people do to avoid getting their faces on camera, happened to a beyonder recently). What service allows you to continuously backup your records for less than that?

Let alone the amount of my time and effort setting up such a system would be?

All for a pittance monthly cost?

Pretty easy decision for me to make, but hey to each their own :dunno:

RX_EVOLV
11-23-2015, 12:46 PM
The August smart Lock is going on sale for $199 @ bestbuy this black friday .. tempted to get one and hook it up to the Nest.