PDA

View Full Version : Walk In Shower vs Bathtub - One Bedroom Basement Suite

blainer
11-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be gutting my basement to create a one bedroom basement suite so I've been kicking around the idea of a designing a walk in shower. I think few 20-30 year olds actually want a bathtub in addition to the benefit of more space for storage and being more aesthetic.
A little side convo is when was your last bath? I'm at 2.5 years since I had my wrist in a wrap and a bath was easiest.

On the flip side a bathtub with shower head offers some versatility and some have said it is expected for resale as well it is a requirement of female renters.

I've yet to get this costed out so if it is much cheaper to install a bathtub please let me know.

What are your thoughts on my plan and which side of the fence do you sit on and why?

TIA

jwslam
11-26-2014, 03:13 PM
I currently have a bathtub/shower combo in my ensuite and thinking about getting it redone as a shower only; also in the dilemma of it hurting my resale, but what if I went crazy with the steam jets and rainfall?

I do agree that ladies want their baths; I've used mine once in the last 6 months.

Disoblige
11-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Bathtub way more versatile than a stand up shower. You can use it for more than just showers/baths. Hand wash things, have a larger pool of water in the tub if you need it, storage as you mentioned. I would never buy a place without a bathtub. Way too useful.

Tik-Tok
11-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by blainer

I think few 20-30 year olds actually want a bathtub...

What are your thoughts on my plan and which side of the fence do you sit on and why?

20-30 year old males won't care about a tub, 20-30 year old females will.

Sasuke_Kensai
11-26-2014, 03:23 PM
For my own personal basement, I'm opting for a tub, even though I expect it to be more expensive (haven't actually checked) - it'd be deeper than my upstairs one (too shallow), and I like baths for relaxing. I take them anywhere from once a week to once a month. I am not a female, at least not physically lol.

That said I get the feeling (from other people, HGTV, etc.) that the norm or trend is for a walk-in shower. Mostly for the modern look - a shower allows for a lot more surface area for nice tiling, and people seem to absolutely love modern looking bathrooms. You could also put in a seat and a fancy shower head.

Without research, my gut says shower for resale/renters, bath if you wanted to use it yourself.

pheoxs
11-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Bathtub is more versatile because sometimes girls or guys want a bathtub, as well as if you ever get a family or single parent with a young kid they'll almost certainly need one.

CapnCrunch
11-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Bathtub way more versatile than a stand up shower. You can use it for more than just showers/baths. Hand wash things, have a larger pool of water in the tub if you need it, storage as you mentioned. I would never buy a place without a bathtub. Way too useful.

Don't forget washing your tire rims.

suntan
11-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Don't forget cutting up body parts.

killramos
11-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Yea you are annoying 50%+ (not including couples) of the buying market if you remove it. Alot of girls wouldn't consider a place if it didnt have a tub of some kind. Alot of people also use it for washing delicates if they dont have a laundry sink. :dunno:

sabad66
11-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
storage? what do you store in your bathtub?

Disoblige
11-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

Soap, shampoo n shit like that.
But mostly I like the tub for washing stuff in.

Mibz
11-26-2014, 04:30 PM
I have never used the bathtub in my house.
My wife uses it 2-3 times a week.

roopi
11-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

Used toilet paper. See Cheapskate Confessional thread.

firebane
11-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Tub for females; Standup for males.

lasimmon
11-26-2014, 04:59 PM
I must be less of a man for enjoying a bath from time to time.

C_Dave45
11-26-2014, 04:59 PM
My thoughts:

If it's to be a rented out suite; definitely put in a tub. Tub is much cheaper than a walk-in shower.

If it's to be just a guest bedroom, spare bedroom, basement bathroom kind of thing, then a stand up shower. Will add more equity to the home, and will likely never be used as a tub.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
My thoughts:

If it's to be a rented out suite; definitely put in a tub. Tub is much cheaper than a walk-in shower.

If it's to be just a guest bedroom, spare bedroom, basement bathroom kind of thing, then a stand up shower. Will add more equity to the home, and will likely never be used as a tub.

Totally agree. For a rented basement suite, the utility of a shower/tub outweighs the positive aspects of the walk-in shower.

ianmcc
11-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

20-30 year old males won't care about a tub, 20-30 year old females will.

And think about it- which would you prefer to rent to?

TomcoPDR
11-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I must be less of a man for enjoying a bath from time to time.

I enjoy bath time too. Especially if you work on the road paying $150-160/night Alberta hotel rates, you bet your ass I'm gonna do my daily/every second day cup of Epson salt, some baking soda, choice of lavender, eucalyptus oil, soak till water over flows. Though I've been noticing the newer hotel tub/shower fibreglass enclosures have gotten shallower.

That gets cut down to once/week, once/2 weeks when I'm home using own water. #putmeincheapstakethread

firebane
11-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc

And think about it- which would you prefer to rent to?

Don't kid yourself.. its a fake premonition that females are cleaner and better tenants lol. :banghead:

blainer
11-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
My thoughts:

This is where I was in the dark so thanks for the input on the cost side of things Dave! Will remember your advice for the future when the downstairs bathroom becomes a secondary bathroom.

The input from everyone has been very helpful and seeing a tub for $399 at costco.ca tonight is pretty enticing so the tides have shifted towards a bathtub.

suntan
11-27-2014, 05:35 PM
$400 tub? What are you made of money?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cadet-enamel-steel-tub-right-hand-outlet-white-150-5-feet/917705

89s1
11-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Just gutted and reno'd our bathroom, and got a nice fiberglass tub for $199 from lowes. It's quite nice, deep and wide.

Just don't use their delivery service, its a TOTAL JOKE.

jwslam
11-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by firebane
Don't kid yourself.. its a fake premonition that females are cleaner and better tenants lol. :banghead:
http://9gag.com/gag/avZ18mE?ref=fb.s

schurchill39
11-30-2014, 03:59 AM
The missus and I rented a basement suite when we were still in university. It had the shower/bathtub combo unit. She bathed 80% of the time and I always showered. I only ever had 2 baths in the 2 years we lived there and both times I was wasted.

In the house I bought now we have a soaker tub and a stand up shower and she uses it 4 or so times a week. I use it maybe once every 3 months.