PDA

View Full Version : Midstream Fundamentals Analyst

woodywoodford
11-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Just wondering if anybody knows what this role would entail... What kind of analysis would be performed, what models are like, what the inputs/outputs that the analyst would be working with would be, etc. etc. I've always wanted to move to the midstream sector but not even sure how my skills would transfer (I do fit their list pretty nicely though).

For anybody familiar with the industry, would the models be similar to DCF's or NAV's? Macro models to project commodity prices? Or are we talking more adhoc type stuff to project localized demand and specific pipeline marketing?

Here's (http://www.cfasociety.org/calgary/Jobline/2014-15%20Career%20Services/Ad%20Recruit%20Analyst%20Fundamentals%20-%20Nov%2014.pdf) the posting.

icky2unk
11-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Plains?

woodywoodford
11-27-2014, 09:39 AM
You betcha

ExtraSlow
11-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Depending on which midstreamer you are talking about, I'd suspect the job could be pretty different. Keyera for instance probably is very convered with the deamnd curve and pricing for propane and butane vs selling hotter gas vs increased operating costs at the plants.

Someone like TCPL is probably working more on the side of tolls, storage, macro demand kind of stuff.

Could be pretty cool, but not my area of expertise. I've always concerned myself with getting it to the first compressor.

Mx6er
11-27-2014, 10:49 AM
PM me if you want some details.

Mack10
12-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I would stay far far away from this company. I know the person who was in this role before and they got let go because they didn't "fit the corporate culture anymore". This is after a new manager came in and cleaned house to make room for their own people. The posting is most likely already filled but they have to post publicly to comply with HR practises.

Not a very good corporate culture from what I hear. If you are not in a high profile role like a trader you are just a seat filler. Trying to get data or help from other groups is almost impossible, which is what this role will require plenty of.

woodywoodford
12-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Mack10
I would stay far far away from this company. I know the person who was in this role before and they got let go because they didn't "fit the corporate culture anymore". This is after a new manager came in and cleaned house to make room for their own people. The posting is most likely already filled but they have to post publicly to comply with HR practises.

Not a very good corporate culture from what I hear. If you are not in a high profile role like a trader you are just a seat filler. Trying to get data or help from other groups is almost impossible, which is what this role will require plenty of.

Yeah, I've talked to a few guys about it and know about the shift in the group. I'm pretty familiar with the industry that those guys came from and can't say I'm surprised there's some friction between their expectations and what the predecessors went with.

I'm not going for it this time around anyway, basically decided there's a couple other things on my career plan that'll come before I try for a role like this.