PDA

View Full Version : Home Alarm Systems

carson blocks
11-27-2014, 12:11 AM
What's currently the best home alarm system available? ADT, Alarmforce, Vivint, other? I'd like something with good monitoring, window sensors and built in video if possible. I don't have time to piece together a DIY setup at this time, need to just make a call and have it installed.

I'm not sure how all the sensors etc. get installed in an older home without pre-existing wiring, but I need window sensors for sure. Any input or advice is appreciated.

JordanLotoski
11-27-2014, 12:32 AM
Call my ADT guy- Glen at 403-605-6058

Tell him your client of mine, he will hook you up

roopi
11-27-2014, 01:55 AM
IMO they are all the same. I'm with front line at 30 a month the cheapest monitoring I could find. Stickers on window and sign in the front. :thumbsup:

dj_rice
11-27-2014, 06:54 AM
I use Vivint but I find that United Alarms is pretty popular in Calgary.

tha_bandit
11-27-2014, 09:42 AM
United alarms had decent prices when I was looking at getting one installed. I went the DIY route with IP monitoring in the end since it was easy to swap and program.

ExtraSlow
11-27-2014, 09:47 AM
I used to use United, and they were fine.

I cancelled my service, because I just didn't see the value. What exactly do you get for that $XX per month? I didn't get substantial insurance savings. I didn't feel it made my family any safer, and I don't know if anyone can quantify the reduction in likelihood of a home robbery.

I was only paying $20 per month with United, but now I'm paying $0, and I'm pretty comfortable with that.

I know most service proivders are more than $20/mo too, so presumably you're getting even MORE value from them compared to united. I have never had anyone explain to me what that value it.

Swank
11-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Alarm Force is wireless which makes for a quick install, they do video, smoke detectors, and have just launched their app for smart phone alerts and remote arm/disarm. $25-$35/month depending on the features you go with.

codetrap
11-27-2014, 10:05 AM
http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/stories/10-ways-to-keep-burglars-at-bay-without-a-security-system

carson blocks
11-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Great referral Jordan, Glenn was just the professional I needed to talk to. He was at my house about a half hour after I first called him, and is installing a top of the line system with cameras and the whole nine yards tomorrow. Great service so far, thanks for the solid recommendation.

killramos
11-28-2014, 08:26 AM
An issue I had with ADT is they didn't do enough about a potential intrusion...

I went away on vacation last summer for a month and apparently ADT found it to difficult to install my system so my alarm is plugged in on a wall wart :rolleyes:. I didn't really care as it has a built in battery anyhow that lasts a few days. Well while packing things out the door the wart got kicked out...

However when the thing died what did ADT do?

They sent me a fucking letter. They didn't call my cell phone as per alarm protocol. They didnt call the police to make sure this wasn't a targetted robbery.

I found out by getting a phone call from the person feeding my fish that the alarm system wasnt working ( blank screen on the wall, no sounds coming in the door).

Fucking ridiculous :thumbsdow

I need to read my contract to find a way to put the screws to them ( ie upgrade my system free or I'm switching). I dont remember signing a long term contract anyhow :dunno:

The alarm cant even tell time ( off by + OR - 40 minutes randomly). Useless.

/Rant

Waldi
11-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
What's currently the best home alarm system available? ADT, Alarmforce, Vivint, other? I'd like something with good monitoring, window sensors and built in video if possible. I don't have time to piece together a DIY setup at this time, need to just make a call and have it installed.

I'm not sure how all the sensors etc. get installed in an older home without pre-existing wiring, but I need window sensors for sure. Any input or advice is appreciated.

best alarm system currently .. 85lbs german shephard dog!!

JordanLotoski
11-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Great referral Jordan, Glenn was just the professional I needed to talk to. He was at my house about a half hour after I first called him, and is installing a top of the line system with cameras and the whole nine yards tomorrow. Great service so far, thanks for the solid recommendation.

Awesome, Glad I could help

zooter
11-29-2014, 12:04 PM
I use alarm force I find them to be pretty good with the wireless system... In addition you get the two way voice so as soon as the alarm activates you can talk live with an agent through the alarm box.. They can also hear what's going on..

I used to have ADT... People have mixed feelings.. I found their call centre agents to be very rude.. You also get routed through a u.s. Call centre... They also have very restrictive contracts.. But to each their own..

R!zz0
11-29-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm paying $45 a month and sometimes i wonder if it's really worth getting a security system. Didn't really make a difference on my house insurance. Also, they jacked up my insurance because of the floods (Said the agent)

carson blocks
12-01-2014, 11:24 AM
My package is ~$60. I wouldn't have thought it was worthwhile before, but after something happens, it sure feels a whole lot more like a good value.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Does anyone keep any relaible statistics of how often house with and without alarm systems are broken into?

killramos
12-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Does anyone keep any relaible statistics of how often house with and without alarm systems are broken into?

For me its not about if they break in. Its giving me my minute to prepare :devil:

I like the automated calls to fire dept in case of an issue in the middle of the day.

bjstare
12-01-2014, 02:36 PM
My parents have a Triton system. Has the usual motion/entry/video, also has alarms for hot tub temperature, garage temperature, dishwasher leakage, etc. (since they spend a fair amount of time away). It's also got a cellular connection and UPS so if the phone line is cut, and power is lost, the alarm stays fully functional.

Having said all that, I know it's not cheap. But OP did ask for the best alarm system. haha

killramos
12-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
My parents have a Triton system. Has the usual motion/entry/video, also has alarms for hot tub temperature, garage temperature, dishwasher leakage, etc. (since they spend a fair amount of time away). It's also got a cellular connection and UPS so if the phone line is cut, and power is lost, the alarm stays fully functional.

Having said all that, I know it's not cheap. But OP did ask for the best alarm system. haha

:hitit:

codetrap
12-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by killramos
For me its not about if they break in. Its giving me my minute to prepare :devil:

I like the automated calls to fire dept in case of an issue in the middle of the day. LOL.. if that's the logic then I'm set. 90lbs of dog that's more sensitive than any alarm system, plus she's armed with really nasty teeth and a very strong sense of "protect the family"...

Now, the automated call to the fire dept would be nice.. but Gracie would have a hard time without any opposable thumbs...

killramos
12-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
LOL.. if that's the logic then I'm set. 90lbs of dog that's more sensitive than any alarm system, plus she's armed with really nasty teeth and a very strong sense of "protect the family"...

Now, the automated call to the fire dept would be nice.. but Gracie would have a hard time without any opposable thumbs...

I'm warming the wife up to the concept of a german shepard :D . She likes cats...

And while my cat is an asshole I'm not convinced of his ability to terrorize someone who isn't trying to sleep.