PDA

View Full Version : 102nd Grey Cup

Masked Bandit
11-27-2014, 12:18 PM
As time goes by this event seems to fade a little further each year into the background, which makes me a bit sad. I grew up when GC Sunday might as well have been a national holiday. There were large parties to watch the game and it was a very social event. Now, it barely gets any attention at all. Our family still has people over albeit not nearly what I remember as a kid. So is there anyone else out there that still looks forward to this each year? Anyone actually going to the game?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-27-2014, 12:34 PM
My father and I watch the game every year! I went to the Grey Cup game last year so I'll be watching it from the living room this year, haha.

Mostwanted
11-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Planned to go the grey cup this year but gf had other plans to watch the Usher concert in Edmonton. :banghead: :banghead:

vengie
11-27-2014, 12:47 PM
I'll be there this year, quite excited. :thumbsup:

BigDL
11-27-2014, 12:58 PM
I wish tickets were not so expensive, as I will be there already on vacation :( I just hope I can find a good place to watch the game Sunday in Vancouver.

403ep3
11-27-2014, 01:05 PM
I will be watching on TV for sure :thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
11-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by BigDL
I wish tickets were not so expensive, as I will be there already on vacation :( I just hope I can find a good place to watch the game Sunday in Vancouver.

Something I've learned from attending other GC games, go to the stadium and an hour or two before kick off people will be selling tickets for under face value. The longer you wait the cheaper the tickets will be but seat selection degrades. When the game was here in 2009 there were guys selling quality seats for $50 in parking lot an hour before kick-off.

Mibz
11-27-2014, 01:42 PM
My father-in-law and my buddy's family (season ticket holders) are the only ones I know who really care.

Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if the CFL were to disappear tomorrow.

Dave P
11-27-2014, 01:43 PM
I dont follow CFL as close as I would like (although 3 downs is horseshit for watching haha), but I do like watching the Grey Cup. More for the being Canadian aspect of it. Good excuse to have some Sunday beers. Well non NFL sunday beers haha

BigDL
11-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Something I've learned from attending other GC games, go to the stadium and an hour or two before kick off people will be selling tickets for under face value. The longer you wait the cheaper the tickets will be but seat selection degrades. When the game was here in 2009 there were guys selling quality seats for $50 in parking lot an hour before kick-off.

Thanks for the tip, I might go give it a try.

gogreen
11-27-2014, 02:20 PM
I've never been one to make a big event of it, but we'd usually watch it as a family when I was a kid. Now I rarely watch full games on TV in real-time, and usually just end up watching the ones I'm most interested in on PVR or catching the 4th quarter of the odd game. Mainly due to having so many other things on the go on weekends.

However, my wife and I have made a point of attending as many live games as possible in the last few years, so our summers get planned out as soon as the CFL schedule is released. In each of the last two seasons we've attended regular season games in Regina, Edmonton, and Calgary, along with the '12 WSF. Thought about going to Vancouver this year, but the ticket prices kind of scared us off a bit. If I were going to be there I'd definitely try to get some cheap tickets on gameday.

Odd that this will be the first time in a while that the home team wasn't in the game.

Nufy
11-27-2014, 03:37 PM
I was actually going to give up my season tix a few years back but I thought I would give it a try with my oldest son.

He had never been to a game before but now he is hooked.

7 years now and we recently increased our number of tix to 6 to split with some friends.

I had to give a bunch of cash to my dentist last week otherwise we would be on our way to Vancouver this wknd.

We don't miss a game. either at home or on TV.

darthVWader
11-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm just waiting on my JumpOn flight to fill up. (7 short) Fly out Sunday morning and fly back Sunday night.
If it's a go then I'm a go and will be looking for a ticket. Might try getting one from scalpers or I might just suck it up and buy on online.

https://www.gojumpon.com/flights/48

BigShow
11-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by darthVWader
I'm just waiting on my JumpOn flight to fill up. (7 short) Fly out Sunday morning and fly back Sunday night.
If it's a go then I'm a go and will be looking for a ticket. Might try getting one from scalpers or I might just suck it up and buy on online.

Says its a go? :dunno:

darthVWader
11-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by BigShow

Says its a go? :dunno:

Jump point was at 40 now they rolled it back to 33. Looks like I'm heading to the Grey Cup :)

Masked Bandit
11-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Jump point was at 40 now they rolled it back to 33. Looks like I'm heading to the Grey Cup :)

Have fun! I'm getting text updates from a buddy that's there, sounds like I should have gone for the parties. Next year is in Winnipeg, I don't think I'll be signing up for that one!

lasimmon
11-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Whats the point of this?

You can save $200 by booking with Westjet...

01RedDX
11-30-2014, 08:44 PM

spikerS
11-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Someone just broke the Grey Cup LOL

CanmoreOrLess
11-30-2014, 10:30 PM
NFL ought to have two teams in Canada: Regina (remember SK carries the CFL in revenue and Green Bay pop. 160,000 sells out their 80,000 seat stadium) and Toronto. Be done with the CFL aka "league of punts".

AE92_TreunoSC
11-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I hate 3 downs so much but it was a good game regardless. Sucky ending for Hamilton, but thats the game.

rage2
11-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Was in Van this weekend but left this morning. Nobody seems to care for the game. They had problems selling about 10k tickets and dropped the price huge. In the end they gave out about 2000 tickets for free to fill the stadium. Did some more googling, found out that the average age of a CFL fan is 54 years old. This league isn't going to last much longer.

I wonder if the stamps will invite Nenshi to the post party seeing as he's publically against helping the flames/stamps new arena financially.

masoncgy
12-01-2014, 12:18 AM
^ I have never understood why the Grey Cup is held in a pre-determined location each season, it makes no sense. Perhaps someone can explain to me why a host city is picked.

I say hold it in one of the two stadiums of the teams that are playing... whomever enters the Grey Cup game with the most wins should play at home...

It makes sense why BC Place was a hard sell... the Lions won at home a few years back... and what locals want to pay good money to go watch Hamilton vs Calgary? That's a long trek for the out-of-town fans.

D'z Nutz
12-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
^ I have never understood why the Grey Cup is held in a pre-determined location each season, it makes no sense. Perhaps someone can explain to me why a host city is picked.

I say hold it in one of the two stadiums of the teams that are playing... whomever enters the Grey Cup game with the most wins should play at home...

It makes sense why BC Place was a hard sell... the Lions won at home a few years back... and what locals want to pay good money to go watch Hamilton vs Calgary? That's a long trek for the out-of-town fans.

I just assumed it was because that's how the Super Bowl does it :dunno:

Tik-Tok
12-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Perhaps someone can explain to me why a host city is picked.

Less chance of rioting if no one in the city cares ;)

spikerS
12-01-2014, 07:11 AM

It used to be that it would be held in one of the 2 cities, but then as half time shows grew in size, a pre-determined city was chosen for 2 reasons.

1) The lead time required to prep became greater and greater, so for logistical reasons, having a venue known for a greater amount of time allowed for more time to get things ready.

2) There were grumblings that some cities would never see a grey cup, so in the interest of letting the most amount of people be part of a grey cup experience, the venue changes every year, regardless of which teams are in it.

The NFL almost always chooses a location in the southern states for the superbowl based solely on the chances of favorable weather, with the odd northern location thrown in the mix every 4 years or so.

Type_S1
12-01-2014, 07:37 AM
I watched the game because Calgary was playing but the CFL is such a joke on a "professional" level. There are high school teams in the US that I'm sure could beat stamps.

killramos
12-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Anyone else pissed they didn't light the cauldron on the tower?

Took a look last night and it was still rainbowing etc.( wouldn't want to forget gay pride on super bowl night)

This morning it was solid red but i cant tell if its for the stamps or Christmas

Was it decommissioned or something?

killramos
12-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

It used to be that it would be held in one of the 2 cities, but then as half time shows grew in size, a pre-determined city was chosen for 2 reasons.

1) The lead time required to prep became greater and greater, so for logistical reasons, having a venue known for a greater amount of time allowed for more time to get things ready.

2) There were grumblings that some cities would never see a grey cup, so in the interest of letting the most amount of people be part of a grey cup experience, the venue changes every year, regardless of which teams are in it.

The NFL almost always chooses a location in the southern states for the superbowl based solely on the chances of favorable weather, with the odd northern location thrown in the mix every 4 years or so.

Speaking of which that half time show was one of the most embarrassing things i have ever seen. At least Justin Bieber performed well.

Like everyone has been saying the average age of a CFL fan is 54.

Pick some appropriate music and don't put clowns that are 100% reliant on a studio and autotune in the middle of a stadium to play life.

They are trying to pull a superbowl and it isnt working.

mr2mike
12-01-2014, 09:22 AM
It used to only be at indoor stadiums when I was young. Toronto or Vancouver. Then they changed it to other cities to share the wealth.

Vancouver's a funny place and with the Stamps in the final, everyone drank their hate-o-rade. Agreed that they need to do something on venue.

Travelling this time of year for driving isn't too safe (cost cutting measures or renting a whole bus) a lot of fans can't afford to hop on a plane and take a weekend at a hotel for their favourite team.

ZEDGE
12-01-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't understand why the CFL haters always feel the need to compare it with the NFL? Why can't it exist on its own. To me the actual game on the field is better than the NFL which is boring and over the top crap afaik. Canadians are so lame in this regard.. everything has to be like the US. America junior is all we are.

And the gloom and doom stuff has been going for ever. League is going no where. Except for Toronto but who cares about them.

For the record I watch all Stamps games, go to a few each year. Always been a fan even as a kid. Theres barely any other sports in this city why would anyone want them to go away? Don't even get me started about soccer.. too many truck driving rednecks here. :thumbsdow

Mibz
12-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
I don't understand why the CFL haters always feel the need to compare it with the NFL? There are two leagues playing the same sport differently and you don't think there should be comparisons? Why do people compare iOS and Android? Xbox and Playstation? They're two ways of doing the same thing and people will almost always have a favourite. You of all people should know this.
Why can't it exist on its own. Nobody's saying it can't. What people are saying is that they don't like watching CFL but they like watching NFL, and that if the CFL were more like the NFL then they would also watch it. Nobody is saying that the CFL should die because they don't watch it, they're just saying "This is what it would take for me to enjoy CFL".
boring and over the top crap afaik. Can you elaborate? I don't think I've ever heard somebody call NFL boring compared to CFL so I'm curious to know why you think that.
Canadians are so lame in this regard.. everything has to be like the US. America junior is all we are. You're the only one bringing nationality into this. You could remove or reverse the countries and we'd be having the same discussion so I have no idea where you thought you were going with that point.

JRSC00LUDE
12-01-2014, 10:18 AM
^

Someone wore just the right panties today, snug but with enough stretch to be comfortable. :bigpimp:

lasimmon
12-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Terrible game management by Hamilton.

sexualbanana
12-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
I watched the game because Calgary was playing but the CFL is such a joke on a "professional" level. There are high school teams in the US that I'm sure could beat stamps.

Really? Would you say the same thing after watching the Raiders and the Jaguars play?

killramos
12-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Terrible game management by Hamilton.

I felt really bad for them until i saw banks run off the field to cry. They could have used him in the last 45 seconds...

Seriously?

gogreen
12-01-2014, 12:19 PM

In the beginning the Grey Cup was solely an Eastern Canadian entity, with Western teams not even being invited to compete for it. When they were allowed in the game was still held in Ontario, and at one point the Western championship was determined by a two-game total points series, after which the winner had to make the trek out East to face an opponent that played fewer playoff games to get to the final.

Grey Cup is meant to be a week-long event for the host city, and moving the game around makes it more of a national entity. There are people who go to the game every year regardless of who is playing, and it's common to wear your team's colours even if your team isn't in it.

In the scenario you've described it wouldn't be clear who would be hosting the game until the week before, so neutral fans would essentially be shut out. It'd be one thing to decide to attend the game in an open stadium in November when you're planning well in advance, but how many would fly into Calgary on a whim and attend the game in yesterday's conditions if their team wasn't in it?

The smaller stadiums typically need to add temporary seating to host the GC, so it'd be a struggle to gear up in time to host. Even with the slow sales and giveaways the announced attendance was about 52,000, whereas McMahon in its current state can really only accommodate around 30,000 comfortably. So they'd need to do a lot of work in a short time to fit in a large crowd.

This league isn't too far removed from some pretty dark days where it was unclear it would survive, so moving the game around also ensures more money in the coffers for the smaller-market teams and those struggling with low attendance. It was an off year for attendance in general and overall quality of play, but even so the league is far healthier than it has been in the past.

R!zz0
12-01-2014, 04:45 PM
I always thought Stamps had way more fans the Flames (Cause of the seating's in McMahon) Obviously the Flames are more popular than the Stamps.

gogreen
12-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
What people are saying is that they don't like watching CFL but they like watching NFL, and that if the CFL were more like the NFL then they would also watch it.

Fair point. I don't watch NFL primarily because I don't feel the same connection to it as I do to the CFL, but I do prefer the 3 down format as I feel it creates more excitement in the final minutes by making leads more difficult to defend. With 4 downs and different timing rules I think there's more of a chance that Calgary just kills the clock on their final possession and the disallowed punt return doesn't even happen. If the Ti-Cats were able to execute that return cleanly (i.e. without committing any fouls) then that play goes down as one of the greatest in CFL history.

That's just my opinion from having minimal exposure to the NFL. I do feel there's room for both. In fact, I have read some comments from CFL coaches and GM's that the NFL is starting to exhibit more similarities to the CFL style of play. I also remember seeing rumours that the NFL has considered switching to the wider field in an effort to reduce head injuries.

btimbit
12-01-2014, 06:49 PM
lol. "If the CFL was more like the NFL, I'd watch it more"

No you wouldn't. If you don't like it, fine, but it's the same as the people that try and say they'd watch hockey if there was no fighting. Stop trying to change a game that you clearly have no interest in watching.

If the CFL was more like the NFL, I'd probably hardly watch it. I much prefer the 3 down system since you need bigger plays, NFL is just one boring short offensive rush after another.

CFL rules aren't gimmicky knockoffs of the NFL game. Just look at the bare games, and look at their history, they're almost two completely separate games. I love both.

I don't understand CFL haters. I don't like Basketball, but you don't see me in Basketball threads complaining about it.