PDA

View Full Version : I give up on frozen burgers.

Seth1968
11-27-2014, 07:23 PM
I've tried everything from the cheapest to the most expensive.

The latest (and last) is the Keg burgers. Suffice to say, these so called premium burgers taste no different than any other premium frozen burgers. I'd go as far to say that they're no different than the cheapest frozen burgers.

I'm going to start making my own, and considering Gordon Ramsay's recipe.

So, for the food connoisseur's on Beyond, any advice on making a burger from scratch?

A790
11-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Juicy lucy all the way! Mmmm...

kaput
11-27-2014, 07:35 PM

speedog
11-27-2014, 07:45 PM
With respect to frozen burgers, Superstore President's Choice Blue Menu Angus - quite good and not loaded with so much of that fat that many other brands have.

black_2.5RS
11-27-2014, 07:48 PM
80% ground beef (ideally sirloin) + 20% ground pork + worchester sauce + garlic powder + egg + Fire. Allow the meat to be at room temperature, I find even chilled meat can cause it to not bind well and can fall apart when your flipping the meat.

For the love of god, do not go w/ lean ground beef. Fat is flavour and adds juiciness to the burger. I've actually added fat to my burgers by first cooking bacon, saving the grease and cooking the burger in that grease to get a hint of bacon.

I make my own aioli which is really easy. Fancy word for mayo, all you need is a hand blender, eggs and some olive oil (cheap stuff will do), then add your own flavouring to the mayo. Might take you a few tries but after you do it once, you'll never buy mayo again.

Seth1968
11-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by A790

Take out all that other shit, and we're good:angel:

danno
11-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I made my own all year and they are so much better. I like adding a little bit of Doritos in my hamburger as it is a easy flavor adder.

firebane
11-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Fuck frozen burgers.. so many of them look like frozen brains when coming out of the package.

Burger press is like $10 and home made burgers are so much better.

Seth1968
11-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Fuck frozen burgers.. so many of them look like frozen brains when coming out of the package.

That's exactly what I've experienced

The taste and smell of such products is more akin to bowel content.

The_Penguin
11-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
80% ground beef (ideally sirloin) + 20% ground pork + worchester sauce + garlic powder + egg + Fire. Allow the meat to be at room temperature,
For the love of god, do not go w/ lean ground beef. Fat is flavour and adds juiciness to the burger.

This. ALL of this. You sir, know of which you speak. <slow clap>

:clap:

ExtraSlow
11-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Room temperature meat is a good tip, that truly helps. I'm one of those guys that doesn't put an egg in though, and I stopped using bread crumbs years ago. It's pretty much meat, and some very simple spices. Sometime not even spices.

pheoxs
11-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by speedog
With respect to frozen burgers, Superstore President's Choice Blue Menu Angus - quite good and not loaded with so much of that fat that many other brands have.

Agreed, of all the ones I've tried these are my favorite

Rat Fink
11-27-2014, 10:35 PM

Dumbass17
11-27-2014, 11:03 PM
have you tried the burgers from safeway?

stuffed with jalapeno and cheese, or bacon and cheese?

i was addicted to them in summer. SO GOOD. they are THICK and do not shrink in size at all. I actually think they are probably the best burger i've ever had in my entire life

thank me later

http://www.canadianpackaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/62368211308_3D.jpg

schurchill39
11-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Tasty Burgers (http://www.mmmeatshops.com/en/products/product.asp?productID=126&catID=999) from M&M meats are by far my favorite frozen burgers. I could eat those every day all day.

r3ccOs
11-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Grind chuck and brisket... don't even need any binders... just decent seasoning...

you can sauce or not

I'd cook to med rare over a charcoal grill or cast iron pan

Mmmm mmmm

eblend
11-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I've tried everything from the cheapest to the most expensive.

The latest (and last) is the Keg burgers. Suffice to say, these so called premium burgers taste no different than any other premium frozen burgers. I'd go as far to say that they're no different than the cheapest frozen burgers.

I'm going to start making my own, and considering Gordon Ramsay's recipe.

So, for the food connoisseur's on Beyond, any advice on making a burger from scratch?

Strange you say that, I find Keg burgers to be the best tasting, and we tried a ton of different brands and they are definitely very different compared to the cheapest frozen burgers. Think your taste buds are malfunctioning haha

sr20s14zenki
11-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Every summer i buy a bag of Carmen's Meats frozen burgers from the Bigway foods here in Crossfield. Not sure where else you can get them, but they are awesome. :drool:

ercchry
11-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Ground chuck and johnsonville "hot" ground sausage mix is my go to meat blend

Mibz
11-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Rough life, having such a refined pallet.

Safeway burgers and Kraft singles all day e'ryday. Can't stop, won't stop.

E46..sTyLez
11-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by eblend

Strange you say that, I find Keg burgers to be the best tasting, and we tried a ton of different brands and they are definitely very different compared to the cheapest frozen burgers. Think your taste buds are malfunctioning haha

+1. Home made/fresh burgers will always be the best, but as far as frozen burgers go the Keg ones are delicious.

Seth1968
11-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

i was addicted to them in summer. SO GOOD. they are THICK and do not shrink in size at all. I actually think they are probably the best burger i've ever had in my entire life

thank me later

I'll bite one more time and give those a try.

Following that, I'll try Black's recipe.

Black, how much Worcestershire sauce?

E46..sTyLez
11-28-2014, 10:42 AM

thank me later

These are also very good

A790
11-28-2014, 10:45 AM

thank me later

AKA, Juicy Lucys!

Manhattan
11-28-2014, 11:12 AM
How it's done

gZuDMKXWU_E

sdevils15
11-28-2014, 11:28 AM

thank me later

Was coming in here to post that. God damn they are a good burger. I am really angry that the safeway by my house doesn't have them.

Seth1968
11-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
How it's done

gZuDMKXWU_E

:rofl: Thanks for that!

Anyone have preferences on the cooking method and type of bun? Also, does the patty really have to be cooked to well done?

ercchry
11-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

:rofl: Thanks for that!

Anyone have preferences on the cooking method and type of bun? Also, does the patty really have to be cooked to well done?

see, the issue with ground meat is that all of the bacteria that is sitting on the surface, that usually gets killed off while cooking is now pushed into the centre of the patty, which does not get hot enough to kill it if its not cooked to well done.

so the short answer is yes, you must cook it right through. the long answer is no... IF you are grinding up your own meat and keeping the above in mind

im all about that charcoal for cooking, but days like today i'd probably do it just like matty does in that video

as long as my bun is soft and toasted with garlic butter... im good :drool:

Masked Bandit
11-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by A790

I dated her for a bit in High School!

Seriously though, for frozen burgers I quite like the Costco stuff (Angus I think?).

schocker
11-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Kirkland frozen burgers are goat :drool:

Seth1968
11-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

see, the issue with ground meat is that all of the bacteria that is sitting on the surface, that usually gets killed off while cooking is now pushed into the centre of the patty, which does not get hot enough to kill it if its not cooked to well done.

so the short answer is yes, you must cook it right through. the long answer is no... IF you are grinding up your own meat and keeping the above in mind

That makes sense. Thanks.

When a patty is cooked to 160 °F throughout, it can be safe and juicy, regardless of color.

Eating pink ground beef patties without first verifying that the safe temperature of 160 °F is reached is a significant risk factor for foodborne illness (Kassenborg et al, 1998; Slutsker et al, 1998).

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/color-of-cooked-ground-beef-as-it-relates-to-doneness/ct_index

01RedDX
11-28-2014, 12:27 PM

trieu
11-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Anyone know if there is a difference to how ground meat is processed in Canada vs USA? Everywhere you get a burger here you can choose how you want it cooked.

black_2.5RS
11-28-2014, 09:03 PM
I noticed that too. When I was in Washington, DC, they asked me how I wanted it done....I had no idea what the hell they were talking about because the only choice in my mind is well done for a burger. I just assumed they had a meat grinder in the back somewhere but it seemed to be dodgey places well......

ExtraSlow
11-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Freedom trumps nanny stateism. "mericuh, fuck yeah!

In reality, us Canadians have been a little overcautious on the temps for our meat for decades. I undercook my chickens slightly when I roast them, and I have been known to serve pork slightly rare.
USDA lowered the cooking temp of whole cuts of pork from 160F to 145F in 2011.
Canada still recommends 160F for pork, and a whopping 185F when cooking a whole chicken. USDA recommends 165F for all poultry, whole, cuts or ground.

Seth1968
11-29-2014, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by trieu
Anyone know if there is a difference to how ground meat is processed in Canada vs USA? Everywhere you get a burger here you can choose how you want it cooked.

I noticed this as well, hence, my question about cooking temperature.

I'm going with erchhry's points.

Seth1968
11-29-2014, 10:40 AM

thank me later

Time for that thanks.

By far the best frozen burger I've had so far.

Given the price of almost $3.00 for a 6 oz patty though, I'm going to start just making my own as others have suggested.

heavyfuel
11-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't expect the fine palates of Beyonders to understand, but when it comes to burgers, less is more. You only need 5 high quality items to make the perfect burger.

ExtraSlow
11-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Can't stand stuffed burgers most places. using cheap cheese to disguise the poor quality meat isn't a winning combo in my books.

Seth1968
11-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Yep.

The Sensations burgers aren't pale and "divoted" like typical frozen burgers. The appearance and texture is that of ground meat.

The other main difference, is that you can see the cheese and jalapenos. With others of the same I tried, there was little to no cheese or Jalapeno flavor, let alone physical evidence.

lilmira
11-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Home made patties for sure, reg. ground beef, chopped onion, egg yoke, chilli pepper, salt and pepper, put it on the grill, finish it off with a sunny side up egg and whatever topping and condiments. If I'm gonna be lazy, I'll just go buy a burger from Smash

Seth1968
11-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Wouldn't expect the fine palates of Beyonders to understand, but when it comes to burgers, less is more. You only need 5 high quality items to make the perfect burger.

Please sir, can I have some more?