PDA

View Full Version : Recommended collection agencies? How effective are they?

nobb
11-29-2014, 11:05 AM
I have a judgement against some debtors and haven't had any luck personally collecting the judgement via garnishment orders to banks & employers. I am just wondering if maybe it's time to let a collection agency handle this on a contingency basis, which means they take 30% of the cut if they manage to collect. These debtors are deadbeats and owe various utility providers money as well, so it might be like squeezing water from a rock because they are probably broke. But the judgement is good for 10 years so still worth pursuing.

Has anyone dealt with collection agencies and can make some recommendations based on your experience? Are they even effective?

My second option is to get another court order via small claims to force them to declare assets and employment info. But I am also not too sure on how effective this route will be.

Thoughts would be great.

Maxx Mazda
11-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Goons. Hired goons.

Stealth22
11-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by nobb
My second option is to get another court order via small claims to force them to declare assets and employment info. But I am also not too sure on how effective this route will be.
I can't speak for collection agencies, but this second option, is that the first step in the seizure of property/assets route outlined in this brochure?

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/pc/civil/publication/collecting_your_judgment_in_alberta.pdf

If they have property or assets, it might be better to go about getting them seized by one of those civil bailiff agencies. From the brief reading I've done, they have the same authority as peace officers, and if they're refused entry, they can get a court order and even have the police attend with them. (Although the police are just there to make sure no one throws any punches)

J.M.
11-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Goons. Hired goons.

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2014/03/31/chief-keef-the-insta-obscene-neighbor-from-hell/jcr:content/image.img.2000.jpg/1396373519973.cached.jpg

TomcoPDR
11-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by J.M.

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2014/03/31/chief-keef-the-insta-obscene-neighbor-from-hell/jcr:content/image.img.2000.jpg/1396373519973.cached.jpg

Those are rap artists, dawg

ExtraSlow
11-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I 100% guarantee this guy can get what's owed.
Shaun Smith - Debt Collector (http://www.vice.com/en_uk/video/the-debt-collector-full-length)

Sugarphreak
11-29-2014, 01:28 PM

codetrap
11-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by nobb
I have a judgement against some debtors and haven't had any luck personally collecting the judgement via garnishment orders to banks & employers. I am just wondering if maybe it's time to let a collection agency handle this on a contingency basis, which means they take 30% of the cut if they manage to collect. These debtors are deadbeats and owe various utility providers money as well, so it might be like squeezing water from a rock because they are probably broke. But the judgement is good for 10 years so still worth pursuing.

Has anyone dealt with collection agencies and can make some recommendations based on your experience? Are they even effective?

Thoughts would be great. Consolidated Civil Enforcement. My wife used to work there. This is exactly what they do. The best part, is they'll happily start proceedings to sell the guys house on him to pay his judgements, all at the debtors cost. Check out the website.

nobb
11-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Consolidated Civil Enforcement. My wife used to work there. This is exactly what they do. The best part, is they'll happily start proceedings to sell the guys house on him to pay his judgements, all at the debtors cost. Check out the website.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

01RedDX
11-29-2014, 04:38 PM

nobb
11-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Consolidated Civil Enforcement. My wife used to work there. This is exactly what they do. The best part, is they'll happily start proceedings to sell the guys house on him to pay his judgements, all at the debtors cost. Check out the website.

I'll call CE tomorrow. In the mean time, does anyone know if most collection agencies work on a contingency basis or an upfront cost basis?

My main limitation right now is finding enough information about these debtors. So I'm hoping collection companies will have tools not available to the average Joe for skip tracing purposes. To find banking, employment info, assets, etc...