PDA

View Full Version : Garage won't close

anarchy
11-30-2014, 02:13 PM
My tenants just called and said the garage door won't close. It'll go down but pops right back up.

My first thought is maybe the sensors and to wipe it clean but any other suggestions? If not - anyone know someone I can call to take a look?

blairtruck
11-30-2014, 02:15 PM
snow packed to bottom of doors or sensor misaligned is my guess.

anarchy
11-30-2014, 02:41 PM
They've mentioned one sensor is green but the other is red. They tried adjusting the red one but no help so far.

roll_over
11-30-2014, 02:43 PM
One in a while this happens to me in my case if the sun is shining on the sensors at the right angle it won't work. So I cast a shadow over one and try again I hope that makes sense.

k1l4m
11-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Usually when there's snow packed at the bottom, you can just hold the button down and that should work.

RX_EVOLV
11-30-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem right now. The garage door would go down until it hits the sensors, then pop right back up. The left senor was green but right sensor was orange. It was happening at night as well so it wasn't due to light reflection. I also tried cleaning the snow off in case it was blocking the sensors but no luck.

If i were to hold down the garage door button on the wall I could get it to close so I don't think it's due to the trigger in the unit itself (which has broke on me before in my old house)

I finally just unscrewed the sensors and re-installed them, making sure they were pointed right in the right direction, perfectly across, and cleaned off the lens.

It's been a day now (~4 open/close cycles) and so far so good.

GenerationX
11-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by k1l4m
Usually when there's snow packed at the bottom, you can just hold the button down and that should work.

Yeah same thing for me, only happens when it is really cold outside.

hampstor
11-30-2014, 05:35 PM
It happens to me when it gets cold. Is your garage heated? Mine is and I suspect that's contributing to this since it's most common after my wife's car is in the garage and there is water buildup from the snow.

It's always been either the sensor, or that rubber strip at the bottom of the door. What works is quickly cleaning the sensors (they get fogged when I open the garage door), and shaking the rubber strip at the bottom as it's becomes frozen solid with ice.

jwslam
11-30-2014, 05:41 PM
I know that when my sensors aren't lined up / not sensing properly, the door doesn't move at all and the light just blinks (craftsman and chamberlain).
I know it's bounced back up from snow/ice build up before.

01RedDX
11-30-2014, 05:43 PM

AndyL
11-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Its that time of year...

Some will be frost heaves - one side or the other will have moved a smidge - needs a minor reset on bottom limit.

Some will need a lube and minor tweak to forces (could be a reprogram, or tweak the dial by an a few degrees). Everything tightens up so requires more force in winter to close.

If it is the blinding issue - swap the sender and receiving eyes - so the receiver isn't on the north side. (Cut and splice is easiest). Or chamberlain actually does sell this funky origami shield system...

And if heated - some doors could use another strut added - cold outside and >0c inside means the door will will have an inward thermal bow - reinforce or move photo eyes to see past the flex (and expect she's going to get about another ¼-½" more when she hits -40...

hrdkore
12-01-2014, 09:27 AM
has the same issue, tenants just need to adjust the door down dial on the garage motor.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-garage-door-close-completely-47339.html

anarchy
12-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone - they got it fixed. Not entirely sure what they did but I think they adjusted the sensors as it was slightly off alignment, probably due to weather.