PDA

View Full Version : Wifi issues on my laptop

cherpintow
11-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Basic Problem: The wifi on my laptop has become very unreliable and slow in the last couple of weeks, also dropping it's connection.

Laptop: Laptop is 1 year old, it's an Asus X550LC
cpu: i5 4200u 1.6Ghz
8G ram
Win 8.1

Further details about the problem: Internet provider is Telus. I'm currently using the router they provide.
Started having problems uploading shows to my media server via wifi, this is how I noticed the poor connection. I was also losing connection while playing catan online (no judging).

A speed test confirmed I was getting terrible speeds and I started to suspect my router. I then tried the speed tests on a mac and they were great.

I use a vpn sometimes through Private Internet Access. There was a feature to prevent DNS leak detection that I turned on and it had a warning that it may cause issues, not sure if this could be related. I have since turned this feature off.

What I've tried so far:
-Re-installing wifi drivers
-Releasing, renewing and dns flush within the cmd prompt
-Restarting Router
-Restarting pc
-Running CCleaner to clear out files
-Running AV software (no issues found)
-Most recently did a refresh of Windows. This appears to revert windows as if it's a fresh install. Still no dice.

I'm looking for some suggestions on what I can try next. Maybe a full restore of the pc? Is it possible that wireless cards can degrade and act like this? It's also interesting that when I do the speed tests the speeds jump all over the place during the test.

revelations
11-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Issues with router?
Hardline speeds ok?

These almost never result from a Windows issue; I find that 90% of the time a wireless issue is router-related, either through degradation or a setting change (even though you may not have changed anything).

For eg. years ago I used to find that I-devices would not work as well with TKIP vs AES encryption (WPA2). Changing around router settings seemed to fix the issues.

edit - yes, the Telus / Shaw wireless routers are absolute garbage

firebane
11-30-2014, 03:32 PM
You didn't mention what you are using for a router or who your provider is or if your using the router provided by your provider.

cherpintow
11-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by firebane
You didn't mention what you are using for a router or who your provider is or if your using the router provided by your provider.

Sorry, I'm using the router provided by Telus. We also pay for the level 25 internet speed which I think is the middle tier.

firebane
11-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by cherpintow

Sorry, I'm using the router provided by Telus. We also pay for the level 25 internet speed which I think is the middle tier.

Tier of internet doesn't mean anything since you are doing 90% of the work within lan not outside.

Telus routers are garbage. VPNs will cause slow downs.

cherpintow
11-30-2014, 04:07 PM
If getting a new router will fix this then I'm all over it. Anything I need to consider, is it pretty much follow the install steps and good to go?

I guess the only weird thing is that a mac isn't having issues with the router.

Seth1968
11-30-2014, 04:12 PM
The most important questions have been missed.

Do you have any other devices in the household, and are they experiencing the same issues?

Also, what antivirus are you using?

cherpintow
11-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
The most important questions have been missed.

Do you have any other devices in the household, and are they experiencing the same issues?

Also, what antivirus are you using?

Other devices connected wirelessly are mine and the fiancés smart phones, laptops (hers the mac) and a smart tv in the bedroom. Other connections like the ps3 and media server are connected directly to the router.

I have noticed a couple of times that my phone won't refresh properly within apps when it's connected to wifi now that I think of it.

Anti-virus is McAfee.

Seth1968
11-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Anti-virus is McAfee.

First point, get rid of that shit and install Microsoft's Security Essentials.

firebane
11-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

First point, get rid of that shit and install Microsoft's Security Essentials.

Running Windows 8.1 doesn't exist for it since they went back to "Windows Defender"

Seth1968
11-30-2014, 06:34 PM

Running Windows 8.1 doesn't exist for it since they went back to "Windows Defender"

Ive read that over and over and still don't understand your point.

cherpintow
11-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Microsoft's site says you can't use Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8:
In Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials. You can't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 and Windows RT, but you don't need to—Windows Defender is already included and ready to go.

That's probably what he's referring to.

So I picked up a router to see if that would resolve the issue and it didn't. That makes sense though as the mac connected to the current router isn't having any issues at all.

Back to the drawing board...

firebane
11-30-2014, 10:05 PM

So I picked up a router to see if that would resolve the issue and it didn't. That makes sense though as the mac connected to the current router isn't having any issues at all.

Unless the Telus modem is switched to bridge mode to not use its own router functions putting another router in place won't do anything.

sabad66
11-30-2014, 10:33 PM
call telus and put in a support ticket. sometimes it's due to a setting on their side

Seth1968
11-30-2014, 11:08 PM

My mistake.

Defender, MSE, and like every other name they give to their email.

revelations
11-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Simply connecting another router to Telus' POS wont solve anything.

You have to either

a) put the new router in the Telus' DMZ
b) bridge the Telus router (depends on the model of router)
c) (easiest) use the new router as a WAP only device (let Telus router handle the DHCP) - most good routers will have a switch you just toggle on the admin console
d) (optional) disable Telus' wifi

Seth1968
11-30-2014, 11:30 PM
\

That's what I was getting at. That is, determining if it's a computer issue, or an ISP issue. The former seems to be the case.

Suggestions:

Uninstall McAfee

Run the Junkware Removal Tool And ADWcleaner.

Disable a proxy.

codetrap
12-01-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has stated to check for signal interference. Are there a lot of wifi networks in the area? Install inssider and take a look.

http://www.inssider.com/

cherpintow
12-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Might have made a breakthrough. I used msconfig and did a 'diagnostic startup' where it doesn't load third party services and apps on startup. I tested the speed after the reboot and it's back to normal levels. Now I have to try to isolate which of the services was causing issues.

firebane
12-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Might have made a breakthrough. I used msconfig and did a 'diagnostic startup' where it doesn't load third party services and apps on startup. I tested the speed after the reboot and it's back to normal levels. Now I have to try to isolate which of the services was causing issues.

Screenshot your msconfig so we can see. I would gander at a) firewall b) wireless driver software

Seth1968
12-01-2014, 10:54 PM
The VPN is a suspect as well.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/386812/hola-crapping-out-netflix-/

cherpintow
12-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Looks like I was too early on my breakthrough announcement. The connection had appeared to be back in full force. But ever since that one speed test it's back down to 1.5-4 mbps. Could it be the wireless card? Do they normally just die or can they turn into complete garbage first?

sabad66
12-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Did you try a speedtest hardwired? You need to check the basics before you go any further

cherpintow
12-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Did you try a speedtest hardwired? You need to check the basics before you go any further

Yes, a speed test hard wired stays steady at around 16 mbps. The speed test on wireless I notice jumps up and down the whole time, although the up is only around 4.5 mbps. The speed test on the mac wireless is around 14 mbps.

firebane
12-02-2014, 09:28 PM

Yes, a speed test hard wired stays steady at around 16 mbps. The speed test on wireless I notice jumps up and down the whole time, although the up is only around 4.5 mbps. The speed test on the mac wireless is around 14 mbps.

How old is the laptop and what wifi card is in it? Are you using windows drivers or oem drivers for it?

cherpintow
12-02-2014, 10:16 PM

How old is the laptop and what wifi card is in it? Are you using windows drivers or oem drivers for it?

Laptop is 1 year old. Looks like wifi card is a Ralink RT3900E.

Using the OEM drivers for it.

firebane
12-03-2014, 12:20 AM

Laptop is 1 year old. Looks like wifi card is a Ralink RT3900E.

Using the OEM drivers for it.

Unknown brand of wifi card to me so I couldn't even tell you how well it would work and very well could be a piece of crap.

revelations
12-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I wonder if a Windows update may have done something to the WIFI drivers - especially if you're booting to safe mode and it works find (using generic drivers).

Try DOWNgrading the drivers to a previous version. Most Windows offer the chance to do this through system restore or manual driver downgrade. I have seen this happen - rarely though.

Seth1968
12-03-2014, 12:51 PM
The type of encryption can also be a factor as Revelations has mentioned. Too paranoid encryption is always a problem with wireless.

With that said, I suspect a third party program like a VPN, Antivirus, or an infection.

Check how the speed is from Safe Mode with Networking, and /or go to a local hot spot like Timmy's and see if the issue occurs.

Those checks and answers will give the answer.

cherpintow
12-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Restoring to a previous point in time seems to have done the trick. Speed is now consistent. Thanks for all the tips fellas.

johnlennon
12-15-2014, 01:03 AM

That's your first problem. You should be getting about 26mb hard wired on a 25mb profile, not 16. Do you have Telus TV? . Also what area of the city are you?